(FE4) I got a pairing question!

CrashGordon94

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who should I pair Adean with?

Well, this is because I was originally planning to do MidirXAdean (For Pursuit), but I read one of my friend's arguments for JamkaXAdean and it sounded convincing.

The thing is, I'm also doing HolynXBriggid, wouldn't Holyn!Patty need the Pursuit Ring too?

Any advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: Also, on a lesser note, how do I save?

Edited by CrashGordon94

You can save before moving any of your characters when you go to the menu options, I think it's right above End turn but I'm not sure. Pursuit is like a basic essential, but once Patty promotes you can give Lester the Pursuit ring, so you can still use Jamka as his dad for Continue, which would actually give him an extra skill above what Midir would. Jamka gives better HP, STR, and Luck. Midir: Skill Speed. But I dislike Midir because he is always garbage when I use him, however, Lester is just as bad, maybe because I always pair Aideen with Midir and he comes back to haunt me >_<

Train Jamuka anyway, because he's an awesome character. You should really train everyone, because you can always do with an extra sword or two (figuratively speaking) rather than leaving them in the castle. Admittedly, though, training Arden is just really annoying so maybe not everyone.

As for your pairing dilemma, I have personally found that giving Jamuka to Adean makes Lester much better than Midir, but Lester won't really need Pursuit because Adean can give Jamuka the Hero Bow, and thus Jamuka can pass the hero bow down to Lester. Additionally, if you're going to go with Holyn-Patty, then you can just give Holyn the Hero Sword in Chapter 5 instead. This is the only pairing in which Patty can use it anyway, so you may as well take advantage of that. Give the Pursuit Ring to Ethlin, perhaps, so that Leaf will have Pursuit.

Also with your saving thing, there's an option for Autosave in the config, so I would just put that on a separate file to your main save since you can't restart chapters in this game.

The Hero Bow does negate Continue however. Jamka is better if nobody else needs the pursuit ring, and if you plan on using the Killer Bow a lot. Otherwise it's a toss-up between HP, Strength and Luck against natural pursuit, Skill and Speed. Patty isn't going to double much to start off with, giving her the Hero Sword with Holyn isn't a bad idea.

Final stats don't matter too much when passing them down. It's usually not more than a couple of points any way.

My vote is obvious seeing on how I like Jamka and would rather have Midir dead before the end of Gen 1, now here's something beneficial to the conversation.

All Midir has over Jamka is pursuit and skill. Despite having lower speed growth, Jamka!Lester still draws good speed. Other than those two things Jamka has pretty much everything better as a father, most notably strength and HP. Luck isn't exactly Lester's issue because Ulir Blood. Jamka has similar movement (and higher love points) to Aideen, making it easier to pair her with him when Midir needs to rush ahead on his horse. Pursuit Ring doesn't have too much competition. It's between Tiltyu's kids (sometimes), Leaf, and Patty (usually). And Leaf and Patty get it after promotion, meaning Lester can get it eventually.

Midir/Aideen is much much much better than Jamka/Aideen unless you have absolutely no target for the Pursuit Ring (no Levin!Arthur, not training Leaf, Patty has Pursuit or you're not training her, not using either of the axe brothers, etc etc). As you can see, that's pretty unlikely, so 99% of the time you will want to pair Midir with Aideen. I can understand if you think Midir looks like a worse combatant than Jamka (he is), but Pursuit is just too necessary.

Yes, even with the Hero Bow taken into consideration. Midir!Lester attacks four times in one battle with the Hero Bow (on top of the Charge possibility), Jamka!Lester only two times (on top of Charge possibility). A slight edge in stats just can't overcome 1-2 extra attacks. Not only does it help against enemies you can't just 2HKO, it's also great in the arena.

As for whether to train Jamka/Midir in Gen 1, it makes VERY little difference for the children, so just do whatever you find convenient. I would nearly always use Jamka since he's just very good at killing things even with just a Steel Bow if needed, and Midir makes for a good addition to a mounted rush squad. He can hit something on player phase, then hide behind your 1-range units for enemy phase very easily.

IMO Jamka is easier to use due to the killer bow and the continue skill. However, in the long run I think Midir gives better kids. I would give Midir the killer bow. I would still use both Jamka and Midir though.

For your other question. Yes she would need it. However, with Holyn as the dad she will have B in sword ranks making her able to use a hero sword.

Just one thing, now that movement has come up, would that hinder me pairing Midir with her? It would seem easier to pair Jamka because of that, but Midir seems to be the winning option.

No they have a conversation in chapter 1 and then it is very easy to pair them.

Just one thing, now that movement has come up, would that hinder me pairing Midir with her? It would seem easier to pair Jamka because of that, but Midir seems to be the winning option.

No they have a conversation in chapter 1. If you initiate that, then it is very easy to pair them.

Which makes pairing Midir with Eden have 5 turns more than with Jamuka, which isn't a big deal if Pursuit and Brave Bow are the rewards reaped. Edited by Elmer