secondary weapon for Kieran

It hardly matters, but Lances and Bows both seem like decent options.

Lances gives Kieran better hit against sword-wielding foes, some of which are the most dodgy enemies. E Lances is good enough for an Iron Lance forge (ideally one that's just lying around) - which Kieran can use to 2HKO most Myrmidons and Swordmasters. It's also good enough for a Javelin forge, which has +1 Mt and +25 Hit against sword-wielding foes over a Hand Axe forge. If we get Kieran to D Lances (either naturally or through an Arms Scroll), he can use a Steel Lance forge to good effect. Before Kieran gets a Silver Axe forge, a Steel Lance forge will be his best offense against tough sword-wielding foes (+1 Mt, +25 Hit).

Bows give Kieran more accurate 2-range and better offense versus fliers. An Iron Bow forge has 22 Mt against fliers, which is enough to 2HKO even the toughest. It's also an option to use against dodgy Swordmasters if you need the extra Hit. The downside is that Kieran needs somebody to trade/swap the bow to have any enemy phase. If you don't have an Iron Bow lying around and don't want to forge one, giving Kieran an Arms Scroll for D Bows gives him a convenient 18 Mt vs fliers weapon in the Steel Bow.

I'd go with whichever weapon type you have a spare iron forge lying about (even an Iron Sword forge is appreciated against Myrmidons/Swordmasters). But mostly, Kieran will just use axes.

I'd go with bows. Usually a forged axe of any kind doesn't face anything under 80% hit rates against any enemy. An E rank in lances (baring a forge) means just iron weapons. With a bit of work it could become a D rank, giving him access to steel but that means having Kieran get stuck with using a really weak weapon which is lucky to 2RKO most enemies when he could be using an axe forge (steel probably) to 1RKO everything in sight. Swords are similar, but worse due to no 2 range options other than magical (which Kieran's low MAG doesn't work well with). However bows, even iron ones, are capable of doing significant damage against fliers giving him an easy 1-2RKO even up into the end of the game. If he gets someone else's iron bow forge, Kieran could even 1RKO most fliers with it due to his naturally high strength. So really you can either A: have an inferior weapon type with an extremely low rank so Kieran has overkill hit against sword users or has another sword unit that is lucky to 2RKO most enemies due to him being stuck using irons or having to rely on someone elses forge. Or B: have a weapon type that is effective against at least 1/10th the enemies that you'll find for the rest of the game that can effectively 1-2RKO any flier.

What secondary weapons do people normally give Kieran? I always go for Spears but...

Apparently others like to give him Swords due to his "Hit issues". But Lances are the best option. It's not like his Skill is dreadful. Giving him swords is pretty useless, considering most enemies will be having Lances and the fact their Mt is poor.

I like to give him Swords... just because I think Swords are more appropiate, that they look cooler. In fact, when I don't care about efficiency, I give Swords to all my Paladins (except Makalov who I would probably give Lances or Bows). I'm used to FE8 Paladins with Sword/Lance.

I always go Bows for those pesky Wyverns that Kieran can't always ORKO. But then, he can usually still only use Iron and is unable to kill them anyway, so I really only do it for the more accurate/powerful ranged attacking.

It doesn't matter, he never needs to use anything besides axes anyway.

That's precisely why I started this thread... cause I'm curious about what exactly to do.

That's precisely why I started this thread... cause I'm curious about what exactly to do.

I've given him every single second weapon type he can have multiple times, and he's never needed to use anything but axes. Any second weapon is inconsequential.

Edited by Xanderdog

That's fine except that I had 50% hit against Myrmidons in C20 and with an Iron Lance he hit around 90% with the same 2HKO potential. What's your point? We get it, that's why I started this thread to specifically focus on Kieran.

I would go with swords or bows just because they are my favorite weapons. There better in accuracy. As for the lack of power you can simply fix that by forging a strong steel sword or steel bow.

• 2 weeks later...

If you plan to use the playthrough for RD, swords are the only option since it's the weapon he gets in RD.

WEXP from swords in PoR does not carry over for Kieran in RD since he doesn't start off with a sword rank. In addition, weapon rank is extremely easy to build in RD anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I go with bows for Oscar and Kieran (they have 1-2 range already and could use reliable two-range that beats fliers) and axen (yes, that is my plural form of choice) for Astrid and Makalov (they lack 1-2 range, Astrid wants good 1-range and Makalov wants power).

• 5 months later...

Swords because blades pack a punch. Steel Blades are as strong as Steel Axes, and are slightly more accurate. Silver Blades are as strong as Silver Lances, but are slightly less accurate.