TearRing Saga Tier List + General Discussion

Aquilae

Xeno learns it at lv. 20 and mine is at a lower level on my current run, so I'll see if I can check how his combat is affected by fighting the same monster before and after the level-up.

Are there no japanese wikis on this game's mechanics anywhere? Because we're pretty much in the dark about calculating stuff.

ChinaFE has all the formulas, but I don't know if google translate works well with it.

http://fireemblem.net/fe/TRS/trs--character/trs-cal.htm

http://fireemblem.net/fe/TRS/trs--character/trs-skill.htm

Also, Xeno has quite a notable advantage over Attrom. Map 8 gives him quite a bit of EXP, as he starts out closer to the castle and can take on the right side of the map pretty well. There are also a few mummies which he can kill for loads of EXP as well.

Xeno is also very useful in Map 16. The eyeballs have very high evasion, and Xeno is one of the best people to take them down as he can use accurate swords and gets a 15% support from Yuni. The eyeballs give out a lot of EXP as well, and Attrom can't take them down as reliably as Xeno.

Blazing Wind essentially gives you a bonus to critical chance whenever you can kill the enemy with a crit. It's kind of like Lethality, except that it only activates when a normal crit will kill the enemy.

Maruju is nothing special. Assembly-line mage fodder, just like somebody like Norton is assembly-line armor fodder. Wundergust doesn't exactly detract from him as a unit, but if you can't recognize it as pretty easily the worst of the elemental Prf tomes, you're being delusional. Even with that tome, he still has to be fed kills often, because he can't take advantage of it like a Narron, a Raffin or someone else who can actually take physical hits wielding a killer lance or something. His bases and growths are unimpressive...........nothing really stands out about him. His offense and durability just suck compared to other tome users, even. Alicia has far more reliable offense with Brenthunder alone and defense on average, Meriah is in a similar place due to the sheer might of Starlight and its monster effectiveness (and the amount of evade it provides), Aura Rain, etc., just taking a look at Sunflame's parameters makes me not even want to get started on Rishel. His supports aren't bad, but the same can be said for most characters. Meh.

Xeno vs. Attrom isn't a contest at all. Don't be absurd. Xeno has superior bases and growths, especially considering when you get to use him first. He's definitely seeing an earlier promotion as a result. His skillset dwarfs Attrom's as well.

To quantify all this: On my current playthrough, I'm making my way to Ch11 and Xeno is already LV7. And this is when I was planning on using him minimally because I used him so much on my previous run.

Maruju is nothing special. Assembly-line mage fodder, just like somebody like Norton is assembly-line armor fodder. Wundergust doesn't exactly detract from him as a unit, but if you can't recognize it as pretty easily the worst of the elemental Prf tomes, you're being delusional. Even with that tome, he still has to be fed kills often, because he can't take advantage of it like a Narron, a Raffin or someone else who can actually take physical hits wielding a killer lance or something. His bases and growths are unimpressive...........nothing really stands out about him. His offense and durability just suck compared to other tome users, even. Alicia has far more reliable offense with Brenthunder alone and defense on average, Meriah is in a similar place due to the sheer might of Starlight and its monster effectiveness (and the amount of evade it provides), Aura Rain, etc., just taking a look at Sunflame's parameters makes me not even want to get started on Rishel. His supports aren't bad, but the same can be said for most characters. Meh.

None of the mages can last a full enemy phase besides Rishel (even then, Rishel will be ignored on EP because he has Gale and OHKOs), it's not just Maruju. I'd say Meriah's Starlight is the worst Prf tome. Its boost to Avoid is unnecessary, because you don't want to gamble with dodging, and its weight of 12 leaves you vulnerable to being doubled by faster enemies.

Maruju has all the time in the world to gain levels and promote with the first Mage proof you get. Wundergust makes him a great armour killer for a while (not that one is terribly needed with Zeek and the Estocs around), and he wants one of those two early Sylpheed tomes, which he appreciates more than Alicia does (since she's 1-rounding everything with Brenthunder anyway).

Maruju has the same defensive parameters as Alicia so I have no idea what you're talking about there.

Norton is stuck with 3 mov until promotion and is swordlocked even after he gets on a horse, so I don't think him to be anywhere as good.

Xeno vs. Attrom isn't a contest at all. Don't be absurd. Xeno has superior bases and growths, especially considering when you get to use him first. He's definitely seeing an earlier promotion as a result. His skillset dwarfs Attrom's as well.

They have pretty much identical bases and growths. Attrom has better supports (you're probably not deploying Yuni unless there are chests to open, like in the one map AquiIae mentioned) and durability (thanks to Sol), so he's not entirely defenceless against Xeno's pros, availability being the main of them.

Still, both Xeno and Attrom face stiff competition for a deployment slot on and one of the earliest Hero proofs, assuming Xeno takes the first Holmes route. Neither of them gets Prf weapons, unlike the Swordmasters you get.

Wundergust

Mt: 10

Hit: 100

Crit: 20

Wt: 5

Starlight

Mt: 20

Hit: 97

Crit: 0

Wt: 12

Effect: Effective against monsters, raises Avoid by 30

Is this even a question? Wundergust does little of interest. Starlight does everything.

But yes, just being a basic mage is no penalty to Maruju when that still entails using spells like Sylpheed.

Maruju doesn't know the meaning of durability because he's so blah. He doesn't have any notable skillset or the ORKO-type offense like the other three mages to make levelling him any easier (Wundergust simply does not hold a candle to Brenthunder/Starlight/Aura Rain/Sunflame etc.), so his durability isn't really going to be keeping up with the other members of his class.

In other news, Sasha might have a case for being just mediocre.......the problem is ordinarily her parameters for avoid grow very high and her skillset/supports are very good, but her damage per hit is completely woeful. However, she seems to level up quite acceptably with the Saria tome (although that probably depends on the RNG in turn somewhat) in her inventory once she gets Elite and promotes to a pegasus knight once she hits lv. 10, probably sometime around map 18. Although this is all going to fall under argument of resource distribution, she does net far FASTER and EARLIER results with the Saria tome than a lot of other unpromoted/promoted characters (while already very overpowered guys like Narron/Zeek/Raffin don't really need or want this tome) thanks to Elite and as long as her levelups don't suck, so that's better.

Edited by FabledTome

30 Evade given by Starlight is not nearly as big as it looks though. If we compare Maruju wielding his Wundergust tome to Meriah's Starlight, Meriah will lose 7 AS and with it 14 evasion, making her avoid boost technically just 16 - not nearly enough for a fragile character who's 2HKO'd by everything and OHKO'd by long-ranged ballisticians. Maruju comes earlier, doubles more often and can wield Sylpheed unpromoted, which Meriah can't (and there's none on Runan's route until the second reunion iirc).

If you want to make any use of Sasha, give her favouritism and baby her beginning with chapter 1, and promote her to Draco the moment you get the flute before you switch to Holmes for the first time. Her growths are unimpressive, but everybody's growths are kinda meh in this game (especially if you compare them to games like New Mystery, Sacred Stones or PoR). What matters most is that she grows really fast once she gets Elite, and her promotion bonuses into Pegasus Knight and then shortly Draco give her +7 defence, +6 strength, +3 agility, +5 defence, +3 move. This is about as good as Narron's promotion bonuses (though she has to promote twice, and the first dragon flute is very expensive).

I would argue that 10K is worth another competent flier unit, and if you intend to train Sasha, you should definitely give her immediate attention.

Sasha has terrible bases and some very problematic growths without the Saria tome in her inventory at the very least. She's not at all comparable to someone like Narron or a lot of other people who have acceptable/good bases/growths.

It doesn't matter if Maruju might double some more enemies since the only enemies he can double if you keep levelling him to 10, with his crappy 4 move and inferior Prf tome, are still suffering from.......negative attack speed, tops. I still don't picture him bringing things like ogres down in one round even then, much less one hit. Which means he misses out on EXP more and more as opposed to someone who can kill those enemies in one round/hit, or bring their hit to zero on forest terrain or even simply soak up their hits because they know the meaning of durability.

Not only is Sasha a poor fighter, but she has to compete with people with higher movement than her, such as Kreiss, Arkis, possibly Narron, Raphin, etc., so she barely even sees combat. The Pegasus Flute she gets in Chapter 6 can also be used right away to make her your second flyer, though you do pass up on some skills.

As for Marj, if you really want to make him useful, you'd probably have to spam the Wundergust he gains at the end of his joining chapter. His attack is otherwise rather unimpressive. His movement is going to hinder him for a long time too, since he ties Garo who's known mostly to be bad because of his movement, and at least Garo has durability and some availability over him.

Sasha's bases:

18 HP

2 strength

3 skill (this one's kind of a problem with her being swordlocked for a while)

6 speed

2 defence

2 magic

6 luck

4 wplv

Narron's bases:

22 HP

5 strength

2 skill

4 speed

3 defence

0 magic

6 luck

5 wplv

Sasha is more likely to double with swords, giving her extra chances to get that kill you're trying to feed her, but her low skill is not fixed until she promotes to Peg and is able to wield lances.

Sasha's growths:

40% HP

20% strength

30% skill

50% speed

15% defence

20% magic

40% luck

30% wplv

Narron's growths:

60% HP

35% strength

25% skill

20% speed

22% defence

15% magic

25% luck

30% wplv

Narron ends up with better strength, but his speed won't be very high unless he's lucky with his levels-up. Admittedly, even his base speed after promotion is enough to double most enemies in the game for a while. He has +1 extra movement (Raffin is the only flier in the game with 8 mov) and can engage archers and hunters without any fear. Narron is more durable with Big Shield, and Continue + Blazing Wind gives him better chances of ORKOing stuff he normally fails to (which he shouldn't, really). Narron's auto-Elite makes him very easy to train right off the bat assuming you don't prefer Lee or somebody else over him (then you'll train him in one of the zombie encounters on Holmes' route), while Sasha has to wait till lv. 10 to get Elite, after which she can get her wings already.

Sasha doesn't really get any good skills for killing stuff, though Gale helps her finish off weakened enemies on EP, and Continue makes her very likely to perform extra attacks thanks to her great speed (lv. 10 Draco Sasha has 13.5 speed on average). She is good at supporting others, starting with Charisma, and giving her the mirror will make the Charisma boost 10% not counting supports.

And when we do get to supports, Sasha's are clearly superior: 10% with Loffaru, 4% with Mahtel and 6% with Raffin, the latter two are also fliers with similar movement likely to find themselves in the same corner of the map together. Narron only supports Runan, and only in the event you chose him on the first opportunity, otherwise he gets nothing.

Training Sasha does take a lot of effort and she will never end up as good as Narron (that is, able to single-handedly destroy the opposition without any outside help), but she has a unique niche of a very fast flier who grows fast thanks to Elite and supports some of the game's best characters. Her start as a foot unit is pretty rough and 4 wplv doesn't give her access to anything better than a Steel Sword / Scimitar until she procs some of the stat, but I'd argue she's still preferred to units like Kreiss and Arkis because those two never get wings while she does, and levelling them up is a chore as they level up slowly and don't have the defensive capabilities to counter several enemies on EP.

• 2 weeks later...

Sasha is probably much better than we're all giving her credit for, just for all the reasons I've been pointing out. Flying with canto is awesome, and there's nothing wrong with her skillset/supports. She starts off terrible, but she's clearly worth favoring with the Saria tome over clowns like Kreiss/Arkis and meh at fighting people in meh classes like Runan and Shiro, so I'm moving her up on my list.

Garo sucks. I suppose he doesn't turn out half bad if you can manage to bust his ass to the frontlines a lot. 4 move for a pirate is balls.

S: Narron

A: Zeek, Raffin, Mahter, Lionel, Vega, Samson, Holmes, Shigen, Loffaru, Xeno, Plum, Katri, Mintz, Roger, Renee, Rishel

B: Barts, Alicia, Lee, Mel, Julia, Meriah, Sierra, Yoda, Zachariah, Lionheart, Frau, Raquel, Sun

C: Sasha, Enteh, Estelle, Sharon, Billford, Maruju, Norton, Attrom, Shiro, Runan, Kate, Rennie

D: Juni, Bud, Narcissus, Kreiss, Arkis, Rebecca, Thomas, Garo

E (more like F): Krisheenu, Maerhen, Rina