Rugby World Cup 2011 - New Zealand are Champions

Raven

Really didn't except Australia to beat SA ._.

At least NZ should cream them next round.

Indeed. And looking at the statistics for the SA-AUS match...

Posession = SA 56% - 44% AUS

Territory = SA 76% - 224% AUS

Actual time in opponent's 22 = SA 11m30s - 3m31s AUS

It was SA's game in terms of dominance... I guess they got really careless at one point and let Australia get a try in.

...Bastard referee. He gave a red card to the Welsh captain Sam Warburton 18 minutes into the game. The largest piece of controversy I have seen in any rugby game I've ever watched. The tackle was not made with malicious intent, and the most he deserved was maybe a yellow card or a penalty to France But a red card?

As a result of the red card, Wales played for the remaining 62 minutes of the game without their Captain, with a total of 14 players against a full 15 French.

By the end of half time, it was 6 - 3 to France. Half time began. France scored another penalty kick, taking it to 9 - 3. Wales managed to score a try, bringing their score up to 8. The conversion was missed, which would've brought them to 10 points. Wales got a penalty kick 4 minutes from the endgame, from 50 metres away of the posts - half the rugby pitch. Halfpenny kicked the ball straight to the posts, but it fell short of no more than a metre of the crossbar...

That bastard referee. Humiliating to have lost the best Wales player like that when it wasn't deserved. Even more humiliating is the fact we would have won had it been 15 v 15 players.

Whoever wins the other Semi-Final tomorrow - Australia or New Zealand - you must destroy France next week in the Finals. As for the loser of tomorrows match: You will be facing Wales for third place playoff next Saturday.

I am so fucking angry. Words can not describe.

I'm going to have to be Devil's advocate here. That was a red card worthy offense, any time a player lifts another player over the horizontal, it's worthy of a red card. Those are the rules, an earlier similar tackle in the France v Tonga pool match gave a french player a yellow card, but a judiciary after the game concluded that the ref was wrong and the player deserved red.

http://www.irb.com/mm/document/tournament/mediazone/02/05/69/51/111003jodecisionfabriceestebanez%28france%29.pdf

And frankly, Wales didn't need 15 men to win. They only needed 14 but 5 missed kicks is just too many, that could have easily put you ahead of France.

Which is not to say that I like this result. France has somehow managed to limp into the RWC finals by some sort of miracle. Whoever wins the Wallabies All Blacks game has one hand on the trophy already.

The player on the receiving end of that tackle got up and played the remainder of the game. A red card was too harsh in this situation.

He lifted him, yes, that warrants a yellow card. But he did not drive him to the ground after lifting him. That red card was unjust.

Edited by V-Raven

In the second half of the Semi-Finals, New Zealand has beaten Australia 20 - 6. That looks like a trouncing to me.

Two matches remain in this tournament:

The Bronze Final: Wales v Australia.

The Final: France v New Zealand.

I'm going to put money on the following rankings:

1. New Zealand

2. France

3. Wales

4. Australia

I honestly believe Wales will take third over Australia because they have been amazing the whole tournament, and could have beaten France even with one man down for practically four-fifths of the match. Ireland beat Australia back in the pools, and Wales knocked Ireland out back in the Quarter-Finals quite spectacularly.

I am sincerely hoping New Zealand absolutely obliterates the very lucky France into microscopic fragments. New Zealand beat France once already in the Pool stages, they can do it again. And better.

It's nearly 1am. The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff has the Wales v Australia Bronze playoff match on three huge screens so myself and several course/housemates will be waking up in 5-6 hours to catch a train from here to Cardiff to watch it there. I am hoping that we, Wales, will grab some sort of reward for our amazing performances at this Rugby World Cup.

As for the Final - New Zealand v France, on Saturday - I predict, as does many others - that France, the lucky bastards, will get destroyed by the rightful victors of this RWC Final. Whether it was France or Wales who would have made it to the Final against NZ, I think NZ would have won either way. But France making it to the final will certainly make it a less spectacular final... the Australia v Wales match kicking off in less than 7h 25m will be the real match to watch.

Wales scored their final try and conversion nearly 2 minutes after the 80 minute mark. It's a shame one of the penalties and/or dropkicks were missed earlier. It's also a shame Sam Warburton is suspended from playing for 3 weeks since he got that red card last week. He would have been an amazing asset to Wales, and could have changed the tide. Adam Jones was also injured in the match against France and couldn't play this one. He's not really a try scorer, but he is a real bulldozer - a great prop - and does well for Wales' scrums. I'm sure his absense from the pitch didn't go in Wales' favour either. Real shame.

But when it's all said and done, I'm pleased to see Wales walk away with rank 4 in the world in Rugby. Our population is less than that of the city of London, yet it can achieve such things as this. I can say I am proud.

c0ef91e328aa050b0aac95bac614988e.png

And there it is. France lose to New Zealand by a single point in the Final, as Wales lost to France by a single point in the Semi-Final. Retribution if I ever did see it.

It was a surprisingly close game; I'm surprised NZ didn't do better. Regardless, NZ are the victors of the 2011 Rugby World Cup - until next time, in four years.

I can't help but feel Wales would have won the game had they gone through instead of France. New Zealand seemed very slack to me.

Very tense game! I was in the Fanzone and the final 10 minutes was excruciating, some people were crying!

In the end though, the All Blacks defence held the line.

I can't help but feel Wales would have won the game had they gone through instead of France. New Zealand seemed very slack to me.

I feel if NZ didn't lose so many damn lineouts and Piri Weepu wasn't so off colour, they would have done a lot better.

I think Australia fucked up the tournament. Had they not lost to Ireland, we could have had a NZ/RSA vs. Australia final. Instead, it's the freaking French. On top of that, RSA should have beaten Australia.