How to get hired

Knife

Hey retards, I got some Waha Wisdom for all of you. Most of you are probably in that stage where you're actively looking for your first job, need to get back in the job market, or possibly trying to get a better job than your currently shitty job.

Education vs. Experience.

A common misconception is that education is far more important than experience. This is bullshit. Even in those high paying fields like engineering and medical, they want to know if you are capable of handling the most common of working principles like showing up on time, not having excessive absences, and dealing with people.

Truth is education and experience are nearly equal in importance, with education composing 40% and experience composing 60%. The guy with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and 3 years of experience will probably have a much better chance than the guy with a master's degree in electrical engineering but no experience.

Tips

-Don't get caught up too much in one job. If you really really want to work there, chances are hundreds of other people want to as well.

-Even when you get offered an interview, don't let your guard down. An interview only means that you weren't weeded out with the bad candidates, nothing more. Keep looking.

-Never let a bad economy discourage you from looking for a job. Other people are probably feeling the same way, so it is actually better to search in a bad economy.

-Don't over value yourself. If you don't have any management experience and the position clearly states that you need it to be considered, don't waste your time filling out an application.

-Don't be afraid to commute longer distances than you're used to. Gas is a pain in the ass, but hopefully you should be making more money than you expend. I pay $150 a month for just for downtown parking (that's not including the ~$300 of gas I spend per month), how do you think that feels?

Good entry level fields

-College jobs are the first place to look. Most of them are pretty forgiving of your lack of experience and can work around your school schedules. Don't expect much pay, unless you do something a little more skill oriented like IT or Waste Management (yes, handling trash does actually pay well).

-Bank tellers get paid very well for entry level jobs, averaging $10 an hour. Only issue is that you probably won't get many hours since the bank is usually open mostly during college hours.

-Valet parkers get paid pretty well too, I used to make an average of $11 an hour as one (though this varies a lot based on the season and obviously how much guests want to tip you). The scheduling also super flexible and you get to work with a lot of people around your age.

-Fast-food is actually a good place to start due to higher advancement opportunities. A lot of people I know got their management experience getting promoted at a fast-food restaurant. Fast-food restaurants are also open many hours, so you'll definitely get a lot of hours, even if you make close to minimum wage.

-Servers at mid to high scale restaurants are by far the best paying entry level jobs you can get. A server makes an average of $15 an hours with tips. Scheduling is also very flexible.

Now go retards, stop spending so much time here and start looking. If you have any questions about the more complicated stuff like interviewing, personality tests, resumes, etc. just post it here.

Source: I do a little recruiting for my company from time to time.

-Don't be afraid to commute longer distances than you're used to. Gas is a pain in the ass, but hopefully you should be making more money than you expend. I pay $150 a month for just for downtown parking (that's not including the ~$300 of gas I spend per month), how do you think that feels?

Totally depends upon how much you're making compared to how much you could be making on welfare.

Anyway, I didn't see anything of much use here that one doesn't get other places...come on, be a little Waha original.

Edited by Blue Mars

Totally depends upon how much you're making compared to how much you could be making on welfare.

Anyway, I didn't see anything of much use here that one doesn't get other places...come on, be a little Waha original.

Hey, that's why I'm open to any specific questions.

You guys are likely dependents, so you won't be getting welfare anyway. Besides, the whole point of having a job at this level is to gain experience, not necessarily money.

Edited by Knitty

Besides, the whole point of having a job at this level is to gain experience, not necessarily money.

On my very first job I said thank you and please

They made me scrub a parking lot down on my knees

Then I got fired for being scared of bees

And they only give me fifty cents an hour.

If you want experience, really, the best thing to do is not labor for price, but labor for the sake of labor. Otherwise anything gained is determined by what others find use of you for--it is not your experience that is gained but your effort in another's pocket.

Unless you meant you want to have credit behind you. That's something altogether different.

If you want experience, really, the best thing to do is not labor for price, but labor for the sake of labor. Otherwise anything gained is determined by what others find use of you for--it is not your experience that is gained but your effort in another's pocket.

Unless you meant you want to have credit behind you. That's something altogether different.

Truth is education and experience are nearly equal in importance, with education composing 40% and experience composing 60%. The guy with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and 3 years of experience will probably have a much better chance than the guy with a master's degree in electrical engineering but no experience.

Considering the common vernacular, and what people generally mean when they say "experience" in the job market, I would not call what you're calling credit something altogether different from experience.

the best way to job is to network. it's not about the grades you make but the hands you shake. do some internships or volunteer service prior.

Yes, I forgot to mention networking. Unpaid internships that require you to travel are stupid though, most internships nowadays will be paid at least at minimum wage. Networking is more of a long term investment, you probably won't be seeing any tangible benefits for a while. Listen up again retards.

Networking

-Network as much as possible. If you attend college, this is the perfect place to network.

-Acquaint yourself with everyone in your major or career field. You don't have to be their best friend or hang out with them outside of college, but get to the level of comfort where you can ask them for favors. Even if the person is your age or younger, you should still try and network with them. They don't necessarily have to be your hiring manager for them to land you a job.

-Join clubs, extracurricular activities, or volunteer. These areas have excellent opportunities to network and can provide great business references. Don't tell me you don't have enough time for this, if you have the time to browse a forum based on a video game which frankly isn't even that popular, you definitely could make room for other pursuits.

Never underestimate the power of sociability. I'll add more stuff later.

The main problem with working a college job is that you can't keep it after you graduate. If I'd had an off-campus job when I graduated from college I'd still be employed now.

Since fast food won't hire me, is it likely that I won't be able to get on as a server either?

Any advice on dealing with a long period of unemployment on a resume and throughout the job search? With the exception of a little freelance work(two Joomla sites for the same guy), I haven't been employed since graduating from college in May '09, although I did go to a tech school from June '10 - July '11, so it's not as bad as it could be. However, I worry that the fact that I was employed as a work study student throughout my 4 year degree, but not during my year of tech school, might look bad on a resume.

Fastfood and server are two entirely different things, and also each fastfood/server employment is a bit different from the other. I'd say it's pretty safe to try out all options and not look down on any. If you're still in your college area, getting hired might be a bit easier too since most of the employment services near campus are used to using students for labor. Even if you're not a student, you're still in the same boat as who they'd use. Some on-campus jobs also are available regardless of work-study or not. I remember I worked in a local financial aid office on their own payroll, not work-study.

I don't think it necessarily looks bad. You still have to be checked out and approved to work, work-study or not, so having a job, performing well, and having the credit to your name never hurts. A year off is pretty explainable--you could just wing the generic, Oh, the economy, oh, kind of thing, in combination to leaving a previously stable employment opportunity. You could also say you didn't need to be employed during your tech school days and also wanted to concentrate specifically on your studies--you had the chance and so you turned down needless employment over better schooling.

There are two things to do if you're a basic American looking to get employed--show what you have done as a way of showing you're a good person to hire (dependable, experienced, knows that you have expectations), and also show that you're a willing person, that you put in the effort, and stuff like that.

Hope that helps a little. Again, if you're still in your college area, you could also go to the job/career place thingies they usually have and also ask for advice. Sometimes it's pretty lousy advice, but also sometimes they can set you up with something to help you out. You just sorta have to wade through and see what's there.

• 4 weeks later...

what happens if you are socially awkward and are physically incapable of sucking up or making friends? and plus your personality is set on perpetual "lazy" and you have no useful working experience whatsoever? I am completely dependent on my society but I play no useful role in it. I don't understand how to alter myself so your advice is useless. I am destined to become a bottom feeder.

Edited by Death'

what happens if you are socially awkward and are physically incapable of sucking up or making friends? and plus your personality is set on perpetual "lazy" and you have no useful working experience whatsoever? I am completely dependent on my society but I play no useful role in it. I don't understand how to alter myself so your advice is useless. I am destined to become a bottom feeder.

Don't worry, people like that get jobs all the time. They usually do pretty well.

Don't worry, people like that get jobs all the time. They usually do pretty well.

This narrowing economy weakens the chances of such a thing occurring, IMO. Also, I can't remember the next point I was going to make but it was a great one. Oh right. It's harder to climb once you've hit rock-bottom (with some good friends of mine).

Edited by BlueMartianKitty

Then you get a job eventually, in all likelihood. I got a job, and I'd say I'm all of those things except socially awkward.

I suppose I'm not so great at making friends, though, since I expect everything to fall into my lap with no effort. It's only fair after all.

Then you get a job eventually, in all likelihood. I got a job, and I'd say I'm all of those things except socially awkward.

I suppose I'm not so great at making friends, though, since I expect everything to fall into my lap with no effort. It's only fair after all.

How could everything fall into your lap? "Everything" includes your lap, how could your lap fall into itself???

I feel like I haven't seen you in a while. Glad you're back!