Chapter 4 (Thracia 776) Statues

Esaka

Uh, those aren't units. Those are tiles. You know, in the prison tileset? You can't transplant random tiles between different tilesets, it doesn't actually work that way. And I can tell you that those aren't units because there's a set palette used for map sprites. This palette includes all four different possible alliances, and a "move ended" palette. Those statues use a completely different palette.

After doing some digging around in a hex editor, I made a few discoveries that should surprise absolutely nobody:

The palette used for the statues is identical to the palette used in the rest of the tileset.

The palette happens to be stored (and read from) the same place, as well.

The graphics for the statues are stored in the same place as the tileset.

Now, I don't know about IS's programmers, but I'd say that it's an awful amount of extra code to do to code in an extra palette for some statues that show up for exactly one cutscene.

Which is what you think they're used for, but not necessarily what they were meant for. :KnollRoll:

okie

Yeah, right. Except that we are talking about units used as statues, which are supposed to fit anywhere.

Doesn't matter what you're talking about when sprites and tilesets are two entirely different things. As said above, they're not sprites. In any way, at all, whatsoever. They were drawn in with the tileset.

You can't transplant random tiles between different tilesets, it doesn't actually work that way.

You actually can. A number of NES and GameBoy games load smaller banks in and out as needed (the GameBoy Color Zelda's make a lot of use of this). This isn't something Intelligent Systems has ever done in their Fire Emblem or Nintendo War series, though, and so, yeah, not a possibility here in the vanilla game.

If it wasn't necessary to have dynamic tilesets, then it was technically efficient to not include them. Efficiency isn't quite the word to be used.

yeah, yeah, well you know what I meant

lol i just mainly wanted to know what the death quote was..especially since a part of it was in parentheses

i know the english translation is something along the lines of "Everyone..I'm sorry.."; if i had to guess i think the parentheses is about his luva

Uh, those aren't units. Those are tiles. You know, in the prison tileset? You can't transplant random tiles between different tilesets, it doesn't actually work that way. And I can tell you that those aren't units because there's a set palette used for map sprites. This palette includes all four different possible alliances, and a "move ended" palette. Those statues use a completely different palette.

After doing some digging around in a hex editor, I made a few discoveries that should surprise absolutely nobody:

The palette used for the statues is identical to the palette used in the rest of the tileset.

The palette happens to be stored (and read from) the same place, as well.

The graphics for the statues are stored in the same place as the tileset.

Now, I don't know about IS's programmers, but I'd say that it's an awful amount of extra code to do to code in an extra palette for some statues that show up for exactly one cutscene.

Oh that's because you're speaking in programming terms, my bad. I thought Celice was talking in terms of visual.

What I meant was that the sprites are units sprites (which are supposed to fit any map visually), and yeah, I understand that they were reconverted as tiles.

As said above, they're not sprites. In any way, at all, whatsoever.

Yes, they are. Tiles are sprites. :p

In any case, there was nothing that prevented them from copying the statues in a different tileset and use a different palette, like they did with some floor tiles (chapter 6 / chapter 8x) if they had wanted to use them as decorations in other parts of the game.

All of this to say that it is pretty clear those statues were intended for this scene only.

okie

Now, while I agree the fire pit adds to the tension, it's not necessarily the only reason it is there. It could also show that the guys are inside a room where sacrifices (and rituals?) are held (which is what they are discussing.)

The statues, on the other hand, don't add anything to the athmosphere imo. They could be removed and it wouldn't change a thing. On the contrary, I would think an empty room (without decorations) with a fire pit in it would be far more intimidating.

Edited by MasterKnightThingy

Uh, no, tiles are not sprites, at least in the way you're referring to. They're loaded as part of the map data, not as actual, dynamic (not sure if that's the right word to use here, but you can guess what I mean) graphic data.