Burning Forest 1

Kaoz

9 members have voted

1. 1. What is your prefered Tournament System?

• Single Elimination
    • Double Elimination
    • Round Robin
  2. 2. What number of stocks per game do you like best?

• 1 Stock
    • 2 Stocks
    • 3 Stocks
    • More than 3 Stocks.
    • No Stocks, only a timer.
  3. 3. How did you like the stage picking process?

• Well suited for online play.
    • I would have prefered Stage Striking.
    • Other (please specify in the thread)
  4. 4. What do you think about Items?

• I like having all items on.
    • I don't mind them, as long as only the less extreme ones are used.
    • Hate them, good thing they were turned off.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my opinion about above subjects: (not in the mood to quote first)

- I usually switch defensive and offensive quite a lot with TL (except for during this tournament, I was gone before I knew it)

- I play for fun, but winning can certainly enhance the fun (when I'm not having fun, I stop playing. like how my FE10 NM paladin PT has been put on a hold on 4-E.)

- Pit is awesome, I can go a long time without getting hurt with him. problem is, I never get anyone off the stage with him either. and when he does get hit he's usually off the stage himself.

When it comes to friendlies people should be fun first cheap second

When it comes to tournaments well that's competitive gameplay and competitive gameplay tends to be shitty so if you don't like it or can't handle it then it's probably not for you so just don't do it, that's why it's a totally different level and style of gameplay.

my 2 cents

I can understand why people wouldn't like the mentality of tournament scene (or losing to everyone, making them have a complex) - but I go to tournaments because it's fun. I view them as social events, being able to hang out with cool guys around the country, being able to talk about smash and play it with people who actually don't suck. That's not to say that playing with people who have the "lol, cheap" -mentality or are just beginners isn't fun, but at times you want to give yourself a challenge and really see who's better (which often isn't a challenge against these kinds of people because that mentality demotes growth severely, and beginners don't know much about the game). Tournaments are places where you can do that with the best of the best. And soon you'll be amongst the best yourself.

As I said earlier, you can be good without being "cheap" - as you learn the game through playing seriously, even with defensive characters, you unavoidably also learn aggressive play. I guess it's just that these kinds of people don't want to play seriously in the first place or even get better at all - but I hear often by them playing against bots a lot when nobody is around to get better. I think that everyone wants to see improvement and soon be able to come out the best even in friendly matches, just for the pride and glory. Even basic spacing - it's extremely defensive and one of the more important aspects of the game, overly overlooked by "casual" players. You never run away explicitly and probably nobody calls that cheap regardless of it being much more cheap than, say, planking with Marth against a MK, for example. If the MK can't deal with it, it's a bad MK, but it's an entirely beatable technique and there are moments when you might have to do that. Nobody calls standing close to the edge where a player is getting up from cheap, even though it's the reason why people plank in the first place, at often times. (assuming no or a high timer or non-MK character) Recovering isn't cheap, even though using it to get an advantage by edgehogging is. Attacking isn't cheap, even though playing smartly is. I don't see the problem with being smart honestly, but I don't mind playing in a different manner if the opponent doesn't like it.

As for PKL, you probably will hurt your pride if you can't master all the AT of the character, no wonder you don't like Pit that much :p

I can understand why people wouldn't like the mentality of tournament scene (or losing to everyone, making them have a complex) - but I go to tournaments because it's fun. I view them as social events, being able to hang out with cool guys around the country, being able to talk about smash and play it with people who actually don't suck. That's not to say that playing with people who have the "lol, cheap" -mentality or are just beginners isn't fun, but at times you want to give yourself a challenge and really see who's better (which often isn't a challenge against these kinds of people because that mentality demotes growth severely, and beginners don't know much about the game). Tournaments are places where you can do that with the best of the best. And soon you'll be amongst the best yourself.

As I said earlier, you can be good without being "cheap" - as you learn the game through playing seriously, even with defensive characters, you unavoidably also learn aggressive play. I guess it's just that these kinds of people don't want to play seriously in the first place or even get better at all - but I hear often by them playing against bots a lot when nobody is around to get better. I think that everyone wants to see improvement and soon be able to come out the best even in friendly matches, just for the pride and glory. Even basic spacing - it's extremely defensive and one of the more important aspects of the game, overly overlooked by "casual" players. You never run away explicitly and probably nobody calls that cheap regardless of it being much more cheap than, say, planking with Marth against a MK, for example. If the MK can't deal with it, it's a bad MK, but it's an entirely beatable technique and there are moments when you might have to do that. Nobody calls standing close to the edge where a player is getting up from cheap, even though it's the reason why people plank in the first place, at often times. (assuming no or a high timer or non-MK character) Recovering isn't cheap, even though using it to get an advantage by edgehogging is. Attacking isn't cheap, even though playing smartly is. I don't see the problem with being smart honestly, but I don't mind playing in a different manner if the opponent doesn't like it.

As for PKL, you probably will hurt your pride if you can't master all the AT of the character, no wonder you don't like Pit that much :p

Quoted for truth man :D. And nah, I can use Pit quite well and can arrow loop and all that shiz and can actually win with him when i use him in friendlies but I just dont like him lol. He's just not my style. And you are very very right about tournaments being really social events. I know a lot of my current irl friends thanks to tournaments.

Edited by PegKnightLover

PegKnightLover Snake/Meta Knight vs Kaoz Meta Knight 3-0

And with that ends Burning Forest 1.

Congratulations to PegKnightLover for winning and thanks to everyone who participated.

Any feedback is appreciated, the Burning Forest 2 thread will probably be up sometime next week, hope to see you guys there again.

Complete Results:

1. PegKnightLover - Snake, Toon Link, Marth, Sheik, Falco, Meta Knight

2. Kaoz - Meta Knight, Marth, Ike

3. mmKALLL - Marth, Falco

4. Strawhat Luffy - Snake, Zelda, Lucas

5. Quintessence - Marth, Ike, Zelda

5. whase - Toon Link

7. Soul - N/A

7. Waha Kife - N/A

Not sure for most of the characters since in the first few rounds nobody listed character useage. If you care enough, please tell me which characters win sets.

[spoiler=Bracket]FfRaE.gif

Edited by Kaoz

I sure didn't main or win sets as Olimar and only used him in a single match (which I obviously won, since Olimar is in the B-tier, also known as "Borken-tier" and "Bitchy now?-tier" online).

Marth/Falco/MK/TL.

What do they mean by "Borken"?

Also, it's kinda sad how me and Kife got N/A. If only I fixed my connection at that time...

Other questions:

What is a Round Robin?

What is "Stage Striking"?

Edited by Jigglypuff

I sure didn't main or win sets as Olimar and only used him in a single match (which I obviously won, since Olimar is in the B-tier, also known as "Borken-tier" and "Bitchy now?-tier" online).

Marth/Falco/MK/TL.

Yeah I guessed Marth and Olimar was pretty much random. Fixed.

What is a Round Robin?

What is "Stage Striking"?

Round Robin means that everyone plays everyone else once, and the winner is the one with the best win-loss record.

Stage Striking is a method to select a stage, it's usually applied to either the first or last game of a set. What happens is that you have an odd number of stages, and in some predetermined order the two players will select which stage they do not want to play on. That results in one stage left at some point and that's the one you play on. Small example in case this wasn't explained very well:

Stage List:

Battlefield

Castle Siege

Lylat Cruise

Pokemon Stadium

Smashville

Striking order: 1-2-2-1 (read: P1 strikes, then P2 strikes twice, then P1 strikes again)

P1 strikes Lylat Cruise

P2 strikes Castle Siege and Pokemon Stadium

P1 strikes Battlefield

=> the game is played on Smashville

Usually stage striking is used in combination with "Counterpicking", which allows the player that lost the previous match to determine the stage for the next match.

So, 2 months later, and the tournament is finally over with.

Nie set guys. I am starting to see a trend here. MK and Snake for finals lol Maybe it will be split in the future tourneys if this becomes a regular thing.

So, 2 months later, and the tournament is finally over with.

Nie set guys. I am starting to see a trend here. MK and Snake for finals lol Maybe it will be split in the future tourneys if this becomes a regular thing.

The next thread will actually be up within the next few days, just ironing out the details of the ruleset.

Which reminds me, did anyone miss a particular stage?