Who's importing?

fatgamecat

I think he's talking more along the lines of the story, which would be muddled if there wasn't a fan translation of it somewhere.

It's not even that. While a translation of the menus isn't entirely necessary, it is easier and it makes things much more readable. It's like removing the ability to view enemy range, or being unable to use the R button. Sure, you don't *need* these things, but they make the game more playable. I think that it's perfectly valid to reject a game on the basis that you hate the interface.

Fire Emblem is one of the simplest game genres out there. You take only a few minutes to accommodate yourself, and you know how to play the rest of the game without ever having to read text again. The menues never change on you, and everything works in the same exact way.

Fiddling around for a few minutes provides you the means to play the game. If you've played even one other Fire Emblem, you're going to be able to play one in Japanese without a problem. Players never actually continue reading the text of menues and details--rather, they memorize what each location and option does. You play phantomly, you must remember.

There's only two real things that you should have trouble not being able to read: descriptions, story. Both of which are easily obtainable if not with yourself, then with other players willing to explain, or with Google translate. Reading stats doesn't necessitate knowing an oral language.

Fire Emblem is one of the simplest game genres out there. You take only a few minutes to accommodate yourself, and you know how to play the rest of the game without ever having to read text again. The menues never change on you, and everything works in the same exact way.

Fiddling around for a few minutes provides you the means to play the game. If you've played even one other Fire Emblem, you're going to be able to play one in Japanese without a problem. Players never actually continue reading the text of menues and details--rather, they memorize what each location and option does. You play phantomly, you must remember.

There's only two real things that you should have trouble not being able to read: descriptions, story. Both of which are easily obtainable if not with yourself, then with other players willing to explain, or with Google translate. Reading stats doesn't necessitate knowing an oral language.

Indeed, I cannot remember the last time I actually read a menu for the games I own in English.

For the ROMs I have in Japanese, I fiddle around with the menu options, and memorize them from there. Easy stuff.

If you don't think that having a readable interface is important, that's your decision. But to say that someone is wrong for demanding an interface that they can read is just stupid. You should not have to remember the positions of menu commands. You should not have to remember the positions of stats in the stat screen. You should not have to remember any symbols. Players will do these things naturally in the course of playing the game, but they shouldn't have to, any more then they should have to remember how far enemy units move and how they're effected by terrain, or they should have to dig through a menu to find out what weapon a character has equipped. Sure, you don't need the interface to be helpful or easy, but games are not about necessity, they are about entertainment, and there is nothing entertaining about shitty interfaces. Why should CrashGordon play a game with a shitty interface when there are plenty of games with non-shitty interfaces out there?

Also, I would not call Fire Emblem "simple" or anywhere close to it. TBS games are more complex than platformers, or FPSes, or racing games, or action-adventure games, or for that matter, typical JRPGs. The only area in which Fire Emblem is simple is in calculations, which just seems like good sense.

I said that it's perfectly valid to reject a game on the basis that you don't understand the interface. You posted a rebuttal, saying that you don't have to read the interface and the only stuff you have to read are the dialogue and descriptions, so I can only interpret that as you saying that it's not valid to reject a Fire Emblem game based on the interface.

Except I never read your post, thus, could not be countering something you said. My words exist entirely unaffected by yours.

Contain yourself, my main man. Simply because you can connect things doesn't mean they're connected. This is how misassumption begins.

Okay! Back on topic :D

I'm definitely not going to import; ya know the drill money blah blah blah.

But yeah region locks are rediculous, it seems to me the sole purpose of it is to anger people.

(before any arguments begin I know there are valid reasons for region locks -_-;)

As for FE12 not being imported I think that's mainly because of what happened with Shadow Dragon, alot of people didn't like it and either sold it back or just didn't buy it in the first place.

And FE12 being a direct sequel of Shadow Dragon I'm sure it was just a monetary decision.

Now for Fire Emblem 3DS it's a different take on Fire Emblem again, y'know a updated battle system new region etc etc.

In my opinion it does have a chance (a very good one at that) for localization, but we'll just have to wait and see...

The PS3 was specifically advertised as not having region locks, I believe. Goes to show that Sony at least thinks angering people is the main impact of region locks, as opposed to the intended impacts.

Edited by Othin

Okay! Back on topic :D

I'm definitely not going to import; ya know the drill money blah blah blah.

But yeah region locks are rediculous, it seems to me the sole purpose of it is to anger people.

(before any arguments begin I know there are valid reasons for region locks -_-;)

As for FE12 not being imported I think that's mainly because of what happened with Shadow Dragon, alot of people didn't like it and either sold it back or just didn't buy it in the first place.

And FE12 being a direct sequel of Shadow Dragon I'm sure it was just a monetary decision.

Now for Fire Emblem 3DS it's a different take on Fire Emblem again, y'know a updated battle system new region etc etc.

In my opinion it does have a chance (a very good one at that) for localization, but we'll just have to wait and see...

But FE3 DS is a much better game in many ways compared to FE11. Some commercials would show that.

And, if I'm not mistaken, Shadow Dragon did not sell poorly.

To us, yes, FE12 is better in many important ways. To your average player, the differences would not be so readily apparent.

I wasn't able to find actual information on how much it sold, but I found this, which may explain some things.

A Japanese 3DS might be a hard sell if all you're interested in is Fire Emblem, but look at what else has been announced or available for the system:

[3DS] [JP] [1] Super Robot Wars 3DS (working title)

[3DS] [JP] [1] Daisenryaku 3DS

[3DS/Vita] [JP] [1] Alpha-Unit developed SRPG

TBA [3DS] [JP] [1] Imageepoch developed SRPG

12/22 [3DS] [JP] [1] SD Gundam G Generation 3D

12/15 [3DS] [JP] [1] Moe Moe Daisensou * Gendaiban 3D

Japanese versions of Devil Survivor Overclocked and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

I'm sure the 3DS will be Nintendo's main handheld system for a couple years, so there will be plenty more to come.