Music :/

Jubby

While this won't likely be of help, years ago there was some talk, I remember, of being able to convert the wav samples to a low enough quality that they could be used in some GBA hacks. This was probably, like, four, five years back though, at acmlm. Dunno what came of it, since most projects are fueled by self-interest--and once you lose interest, so does the progress :P

You COULD do it like how sound effects do, and import a length of the song as something like the special sound effects that play only once in an FE game (they use .wav samples for those little things) like the Thunder strike from Bolting or Thunder. And then string them together in a MIDI map in the GBA that switches to each "instrument" and plays a middle C for the length of the sample.

But that would just be damn hard and impractical because of the amount of space it would take.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Ahhhh crap :/ Oh well, already have a good two hours worth of it, so I might as well finish it anyway xP It's the only way I can really use my musical ability to FE hacking anyway, might as well make use of it.

Thanks for the replies, guys :)

Edited by Jubby

Just expanding on what Rey said, MP3s are compressed WAVs IIRC. An MP3 for a song with no lyrics and short might be <1MB. Say approximately .8MB. This is a GREAT file size too--lyrical sings might be up to 5MB (3-5 on average I think but I know they can be more or less) depending on various factors.

Upon converting that to a WAV it becomes 12MB.

The game simply cannot handle so much data. Just impractical. DS games can handle it because they are much larger with more music capabilities but they STILL use a MIDI-type process. Just to relate.

The point of this post is just to let you know that we're not not helping you because we're lazy but rather it's pretty much impossible. (inb4someonesaysitisntimpossible,cutmesomeslackforbeingrealistic)

Forget about MP3. It's ridiculously complex even to decode (I don't even want to think about decoding it in ASM) and would probably be more than a GBA CPU could handle in real-time anyway even if it didn't have to do anything else (which it does). The impracticality of having a 12MB WAV file in the ROM is simply a matter of space: the GBA simply can't recognize more than 32MB of ROM on a cart.

What music did you have in mind exactly? Maybe someone around here already has a MIDI.

Sorry guys, I didn't see this till now :( Yeah, I checked for MIDIs, but it's from like a 11-year old computer game (not very popular either) so it's kinda doubtful that anybody has it (I googled it, too :P) And thanks, Blazer, I know you guys would help me if you could, you guys are always great, so if it took a lot of effort from you, it'd probably be too hard for me to attempt anyway :$) Thanks for the replies, and I'm almost done writing it out anyway :P May post it when I'm done, it's a pretty epic song ;D

The game you're wanting music out of may already be using MIDIs for its soundtrack anyways then, or at least a similar, synthesized format. Have you searched for any thing music-related for that game in question, like any music formats or dumps?

I would've looked, except when I opened up the program files for the game, there was a folder labelled music, and, inside it, numerous .wav files. :'( On the other hand, Blazer was saying the WAV files are 12MB, but these are only 5...? I dunno if that's useful at all or not :P

Well if it's an even shorter song or if it was originally a WAV it could definitely be less but 5MB is still a lot and I doubt it'd work (I have no idea how it loads music into the memory but such a large piece could possibly cause an overflow...). tl;dr keep up the good MIDI work :P