Map insertion: Using the right tileset

BlackSoulou

After trying various setups in nightmare, I figured it would be a good thing to check if I'm missing something obvious (or not so).

Following Arch's steps to map insertion to boot, I try to change the palette to match, and end up with this result, no matter which palette or tileset I use in the Chapter Data editor module:

PrologueMapInsertionfail.jpg

Any ideas?

I use the same offset Arch suggested in his video, but I think the problem I'm facing is concerning the tilset I used for the map, which was Village 1Mountains from Feaw's custom tileset collection, if that can help.

Thank you for your time.

Yeah uh, you can't use custom tiles. Just custom palettes.

Well, technically you CAN sue custom tiles, but so far almost no one is able to do those.

My custom tilesets aren't meant for romhacking.

Ah...Well I guess that clear things up. I'll reskin my map with a FE7 palette and be more careful in the future. I'll give you an update on that tonight, if possible.

Thanks a bunch.

Edited by BlackSoulou

Well, it's not the palette that's the culprit. It's the tiles which were added to the picture of the tileset--the modified image isn't the same as the data in the game.

You just need to make sure you use tilesets that are directly dumped from the game, that way each tile on the image directly correlates to the data in the game.

I think I just realized the *true* meaning behind what you said Feaw. By:

My custom tilesets aren't meant for romhacking.

Did you mean any tileset of the collection even those in the folders labelled ''FE6/FE7/FE8 Tilesets'', not only those in the custom tilesets folder? I'm talking about all those assembled tilesets that are so convenient to play with, and if they're actually usable, instead of using those long 8-digits stretches. Because using the FE7 tilesets result in the same problem as before.

Okay here's what I'm doing:

I've inserted my map with the MAR Array Inserter, using map size+1 to x and y. Offset used is DA0000, as arch recommended for his tutorial.

After that, I open my rom with the 2 required modules in Nightmare : FE7 Chapter Data Editor and FE7 Event References.

In Event References, I grab 0x03 - 0x04 Prologue map and set the pointer as such:

EventrefHelp.png

Save and continue. I load my rom with VBA to see how things are going, nothing's changed. But when I change the object set or tile config...I get only one try (which ends up horribly bad) after what the image won't change, no matter what setup I'll use. It seemed much simpler at first, or is it and I missed the obvious?

I think I just realized the *true* meaning behind what you said Feaw. By:

Did you mean any tileset of the collection even those in the folders labelled ''FE6/FE7/FE8 Tilesets'', not only those in the custom tilesets folder? I'm talking about all those assembled tilesets that are so convenient to play with, and if they're actually usable, instead of using those long 8-digits stretches. Because using the FE7 tilesets result in the same problem as before.

I would think those are still usable, but I wouldn't know, since I have almost no advanced hacking knowledge.

It would be safer to use the numbered ones, yes.

My tilesets are just meant for casual mapping (and FEXP and such), since then it doesnt matter what you use.

Strangely enough, when I tried to insert the map this morning I got the best result so far, without changing the procedure at all, with only the palette being really ugly. I still had only one try. But after the last try, IT WORKED!!

Yay.png

What I did right:

-correct offset

-correct map pointers

-correct (after realization) tileset

-correct insertion

What I did wrong:

-Mess with this:

source.png

The problem was right there. I'd uncheck the first 3 and clicked ok, thus messing up the original tileset.

Many thanks for your help guys.

Edited by BlackSoulou