Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 26: Many Meetings

Phoenix

The Summit

The main hall of the governors estate would serve as the meeting area, and with two overlooking walkways and plenty of space, there would be room enough for dozens upon dozens of participants. The main table where the primary attendees would sit was already prepared with over twenty chairs lined all around it. Some of the participants were already present, mostly young nobles chatting things up while they waited. Ixion kept an eye on things from the walkway he was on before, and Princess Cassandra seemed to be quietly reading a book in the corner on the main floor where the nobles were.

When Percival came through the main doors carrying an unconscious Harold on his back, the Princess slowly hid her face behind the book. It was somewhat humorous to see Harold in such a state, but the man was more resilient than he looked and would probably be hitting on her in no time if she didn't lower her profile a bit.

Nathaniel: Ah! My goddess! What's happened to Lord Harold?!

Percy: Just another episode of biting off more than he can chew. He'll be alright, and he insisted that I bring him here.

Nathaniel: How can you be so indifferent, Lord Percival? The man needs a medic!

Percy: He's one of the six heroes, dammit! If he can't handle a half dozen peppers we should just chuck him in a ditch and be done with him. You hear me, Harold?! You'd better pull through or I'll have Atlas dig you a shamefully unmarked grave!

Harold: ... that's not where your leg goes, here, lemme show you ... zzzzz

Percy: I ... suppose that's a good sign? Has the Grand Marshall arrived, yet?

Nathaniel: I didn't know he was coming at all.

Percy: He must be. Said something about how he couldn't take the risk with Harold and I. I suppose he doesn't want us to have to deal with whatever slanderous insults the others may have in store for us. He's a good man to seek to aid us but things will go well enough I believe ... with or ... without him present.

Nathaniel: Is General Jackson coming as well? I heard he was here, as well.

Percy: I ran into him not too long ago, actually. He helped us get Harold past the 'dying' stage.

Nathaniel: Thank the goddess ...

Percy then sat Harold's unconscious body in a chair and propped him up so that only his head was limp.

Percy: There we are. No one will ever know the difference.

The governor himself, a tall husky bearded man in a thick coat, appeared from the opposite entrance and made his way past Cassandra and up to the table.

Governor: A shame it took an outright slaughter to prompt such a meeting but at least we're here, now. Once the seats are filled ... we shall begin ...

Harold: ... the balcony is a little dangerous but it's worth the risk~ zzzzzz

Governor: I suppose that's one ...

When Morgan and Lev arrived, many of the nobles looked their way wondering just who they were. Lev was just surprised to see Harold out of it with two well endowed women in the same room. No matter, that just made things easier. He spotted Ixion up on the walkways staring down on the meeting area like a hawk.

Lev: Ixion!

Ixion: ... Lev.

Lev: Do you know where Miranda is? We need to ask her some things.

Ixion: Hm?

Harold: ... Miranda ... that's my mother's name ... zzzzz

Lev: We ... need to ask her about 'things' only someone in her position would know.

Lev tried his best to hint at her demonic traits without alerting the nobles. Fortunately Ixion got the message.

Ixion: Where would you speak with her? I could send her there.

Post Breakfast; Post Haste

With breakfast out of the way, it was time for the crimsons to head off to the governor's manse. It was obvious from the get-go, however, that they wouldn't all be going together. With the royals needing to be in attendance, Irina's plans with Tas and Aiya would have to wait until afterward. She wasn't sure about letting the Haltonian embassy's riders search for Kiev in her place, but Kiev's lack of rider training would make apprehending him almost effortless. When she pointed that out to them, they assured her they could retrieve him and even promised to have him in the aerie waiting for her by the end of the summit's first conference. With those matter settled, Iso and Irina left the embassy with their bodyguard and made their way to the estate.

Viveka and Tobe seemed to be more fortunate, as they had spend plenty of time browsing and buying various things of interest already. There wouldn't be much complaint over calling it a day and heading back to the embassy to store their things. Afterward, Viveka would have to quickly prepare to go to the governor's estate. She wasn't sure if she should bring Tobe or not. Not because he was a child ... but because she wasn't sure she wanted to expose him to the bickering she knew could ensue at the meeting. Children didn't need to witness first hand just how childish full grown adults could be at times.

Viveka: I guess Harold's kicked the bucket by now and they've pinned it on the waitress. We should probably get back to the embassy and put these things up so nothing happens to them. ... aaand then I need to get ready to go somewhere.

Miranda

Miranda: *Achoo*! That's twice now. I can't get a cold, I'm a demon. Is someone talking about me ...?

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morgan

"Somewhere private, hopefully away from all of the...politics here. We could meet back at the Haltonian embassy, with most of the officials gone it should not be too busy there," she said to Ixion quietly.

Charlotte

After breakfast, Charlotte quickly made her way to the main hall of the governor's estate, wondering if one of the chairs was for her. It would be a faux pas to sit in someone else's designated seat...then again if I don't get seat at the main table I may not be heard at all. Even if whoever organized this wasn't prepared for me, the issue of Jerdon must be addressed. she thought to herself, selecting a seat at the main table that was unoccupied.

Aunt and Nephew

After discussing the strategy for the summit with the Directus officials, Brunhilde and Tristan arrived at the summit. Tristan decided to stand rather awkwardly in the corner, not seeing anyone he knew at the present moment and not particularly inclined to start making new acquaintances.

"Shouldn't you be making small talk or something? You are the prince after all," Brunhilde commented to him, not joining the chattering nobles either.

"I don't see you being very sociable and you're the queen's sister," Tristan replied, half-teasing.

"I'm waiting for Jace's people to show up. I have some questions for them that I haven't had a chance to ask. I'd rather just get right to the heart of the problem than deal with it in front of all the other nations, though if he won't talk to me I won't have much of a choice," she said, scanning the room.

Yup, We Still Exist

The underground of the continent was changing. Old tunnels blocked off years ago were excavated quickly both by the claws of demons and Petros's skills for shaping earth. The demonic horde was swelling in size each day, both from freeing those long imprisoned and the extremely efficient processes of demonic reproduction.

The lands above were left untouched for now. Demons had no need for the resources humans possessed, though Petros did occasionally have to reprimand some of the lesser demons who wished to raid the Elyisimian towns along the way out of bloodlust. They were designed by nature to listen to their superiors however, and the horde continued unerringly towards Illphyina, unbeknownst to the ignorant meatbags above. Soon the capital would rain blood...

Greetings

The book Cassandra was reading was quickly shut. Her gaze quickly scanned the whole room discerning the new arrivals from the old. There was Charlotte, debating whether or not to take a seat from the looks of things. When she took a seat, she grinned.

Cassandra: (Smart girl. There is really no point in even showing up if you have to fight through all the arguing just to be heard. I on the other hand don't need to be in the spotlight to begin with. When the floor becomes Halton's it will also become mine.)

She also overheard the conversation between the young man and the Septimian officer. Was that Brunhilde? She wasn't certain until Tristan called her the queen's sister. And that was indeed Prince Tristan. She thought to introduce herself but had second thoughts.

Cassandra: (The Septimians are aggrivated. Jace has yet to show ... and I doubt they've forgotten that we tried to take advantage of the civil war. On the other hand ...)

Then came a third thought.

Cassandra: (The prince seems ... impressionable. It may be a good time to show him Halton's lighter side. What one perceives today influences decisions made tomorrow, after all.) Ahem.

She approached Tristan and Brunhilde in an almost shy manner.

Cassandra: (Just one eye and she sees more than most others ... it's a good thing I'm actually nervous or she might see through what I'm doing ...) Excuse me ... did I hear that correctly? You're the prince of Septimus? And you are ... Lady Brunhilde? I am Princess Cassandra. It's a pleasure to meet the both of you.

Percy: Harold, are you ever going to wake up?

Harold: Of course not, we aren't going to bed until I've had my way with you ... now put this on zzzzz

Percy sighed.

Percy: I hunger ....

Meetings

Ixion: Hmm ... that's a bit of a walk, is it not? Head to the entrance to the estate. You will ... know what to look for, I'm certain.

Lev: The front of the building?

Ixion nodded before turning to leave the walkway. Lev looked to Morgan and shrugged.

Lev: Shall we?

Salutations

"That's me, Prince Tristan of Septimus, a pleasure to meet you as well milady. I think we were supposed to meet at at international dinner once, Mother was...very pleased about the prospect if I recall. Luckily, I caught the flu beforehand and didn't have to go. I mean, not that I didn't want to meet you just that, well you know how parents can be," he said to her, scratching his head.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance princess," Brunhilde said, her one eye fixed on Cassandra. Halton's trying to speak with us now? This should be interesting...

Farewells

"Yes, I would prefer not to stay here if at all possible. This meeting is important but...this is not my arena I think. Hopefully Miranda will be in an agreeable mood," Morgan said to Lev, turning to leave. I wonder how Ixion knew exactly where Miranda was...well I suppose if I made a demon I would keep them on a short leash as well she thought to herself.

The main hall of the Governor's estate was rather spacious. As Damian and Aiya entered the meeting place for the final delegations of the summit, Aiya looked around the room curiously.

"Well whaddaya know? Vaorin has some nice estates after all. I guess there is some cash flow around here." Aiya noted, continuing to scan the room.

"It seems we are a tad early, not even half the seats are yet filled." Damian said, mostly to himself, noticing Princess Cassandra get up from her seat and approach Prince Tristan and a retainer.

"Hmm... I wonder what the Princess has in mind... Aiya, would you mind checking that out for me? I'd like to check up on Charlotte." Damian asked, catching Charlotte sit down at the main table.

"Sure thing, Damian." Aiya responded, curious as to what was truly going on herself, being less privy to the workings of Halton's plans than Damian. Moving towards Princess Cassandra and Prince Tristan, she gave a salute as she approached.

"Ah, hello Your Highness Princess Cassandra." She said heartily, before turning to Tristan.

"And to you as well, Prince Tristan. It's good to see you made it here without issue." She said, a smile on her face.

Damian cleared the distance between himself and Charlotte relatively quickly, soon finding himself within a few paces of the woman. Stopping there, he addressed her.

"Charlotte... today's the big day, huh? Are you ready for this?" He asked her.

What To Look Out For

Lev: You're going to have to engage a little during the summit ... or would you rather leave the fate of the crimsons up to our Haltonian and Elysimian members?

The question was mostly rhetorical, as Lev thought it more important to just get on and find Miranda, so he started heading for the entrance before getting an answer expecting Morgan to follow. Outside, things were mostly the same, with a few more carriages pulling up in the distance. He kept hearing some sound or other though that finally got him to look up. He saw a figure directly above them on top of the building. The figure then disappeared.

Lev: ... lovely.

A moment later the figure reappeared somewhere completely different, on ground level and peeking around the corner to give herself away.

Lev: Well these is silly but I guess Miranda's going to be picking the meeting place. Let's go.

Following Miranda's trail of brief appearances led the two to a peaceful but shady spot a ways from the main building. Miranda was waiting in the shadows and no one else was around other than Fenrir who was lying at her feet. Either way, Miranda would have known about them long in advance.

Miranda: Welp, this is a nice place to have a conversation. I'm surprised, though. Why come to me? You're not hoping for demon slaying practice, are you?

As Miranda said that, a few red bolts ran across her crossed wrists. Lev grimaced slightly ....

Main Hall

Cassy: Indeed I do.

Cassy replied with a slight blush, having just relived a few childhood memories with her own mother. Aiya then arrived and joined in the conversation which snapped her right out of it.

Cassy: Captain Aiya. I'm glad you and the Colonel made it. (And early, too.)

Edited by Phoenix

In the end, Tas wound up wandering around town to run his errands alone. As it turned out, everyone else had important matters to attend to. Specifically, the summit. It was still a nice enough day for a stroll and he didn't have anything immediately required of him...which, actually, was a somewhat odd sensation. In one corner of his mind, the courier felt as though something had to be tended to that he was forgetting. Over all, though, it was fairly peaceful to walk about town running his own errands, few as they were. And yet, thus far, all he'd been doing was liesurely wandering about. If a clothing shop caught his eye, that would be the first place to stop, obviously. ...Unless he got hungry. But that was another matter. (What sort of outfits am I looking for, anyway? Well, they'll have to last me a while... Withstanding the weather is another must. I have to keep warm if we go somewhere cold again and I have to keep cool if we go somewhere hot. Of course, they have to fit... I think maybe I should get two outfits with pieces I can exchange between the two to accomodate for the climate. That would be the best use of my money.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Esphyr had wound up wandering around the estate, idley watching the walls scroll by as she aimlessly miandered the halls. Her mind kept going back to how she despirately needed a hobby, though nothing ever came to mind. Perhaps something here would inspire her? Unlikely, but despirate times -- and boredom -- called for despirate measures (or whatever this could possibly be called.)

Charlotte

Charlotte was a bit surprised to see Damian arrive next to her, though she did imagine he would be showing up to the summit eventually.

"Truthfully? No, I don't think I'm as ready as I could be. But this is one of those things that happens whether one is ready or not- so I suppose I will just have to do my best. I always thought succession to the throne would be much an easier, a little ceremony, I put on a crown, and that's that. The Lady had a bit more of a test for me it seems," she said to him, sounding somewhat relaxed despite her nervousness.

Morgan

"Not exactly, though this does relate to your demonic physiology. I need a way to determine whether a demonic shapeshifter is nearby or not, and to do that I need a demon to run tests on. You are...less hostile than most demons so you would make the most obvious research subject," she said to Miranda.

Tristan and Brunhilde

"Well it wasn't very difficult reaching the governor's estate after we were warped to Larien. Things seem pretty safe here in Vaorin," Tristan answered Aiya.

"Seems an important word there," Brunhilde said, squinting a bit. "So Princess, what business do you have coming over here? I imagine that Halton is too busy to have a major representative just making small talk," she said to Cassandra.

Oh right, politicians do tend to always want something. Maybe that's why I tend to avoid them. Tristan thought to himself.

"It only makes sense that we would be here, Your Highness. The Colonel can speak with a truly unique viewpoint towards the demonic threat, and brings a wealth of experience regarding the matter, as well as high enough social standing to be heard. And I thought it best to accompany him, if not only as his subordinate and combat partner, then as his fiancée." Aiya replied with another salute.

"And I agree, Prince Tristan. It seems most have settled into peace for the time being. Hopefully it stays that way."

"Yes, it seems a simple coronation was not what fate had in store for you. Though you seem quite collected considering your current position... just remember to keep yourself composed out there. Jace has been working in law for a time since the war, he should be well ready to catch you if you falter. You know that the rights to Jerdon are yours, so there is no reason for you to give him that satisfaction." Damian replied to Charlotte, taking a seat next to her for a moment, to meet her at eye level.

"And if you need anything from Halton's side, I'll pull whatever weight I can for you, got it? This is your chance, so seize the day. Let no opportunity go unchecked."

Demonology

Miranda: I see ... aaand what's in it for me, exactly ... if I help you that is?

Lev: (That's weird. I'm not sure why I thought she'd just help us out of the kindness of her heart. She's working for Ixion, though, right? You'd think she'd be glad to ... well maybe not glad but come on, her old student and boy toy could benefit from the information.)

Sociology

Cassy: Well unfortunately I won't be doing much of the talking during the conference. If I recall correctly, Ambassador Charles Hustler will be Halton's primary representative. I had no intention on staying at home during such an important event, however. I know things tend to get a little ... hostile during these sorts of get togethers, so I'm also hoping to help keep the peace. It's the least that I can do in the hopes of seeing these talks end with an alliance against the demons being established. That is what matters most, I believe.

The next group to enter the main hall were the Zaftran royals, Iso and Irina, along with their bodyguard. She made a quick note to check them out for herself later on and returned her attention to the conversation at hand.

Gastronomy

Unfortunately one fish would not do and Kiev thought to return to try and steal another one once he was finished with it. Upon his return to the shop however, the man was ready. He was wielding an axe and came running at Kiev forcing the wyvern to back off like an intimidated dog and head off into an alley to try and lose the man. He was still hungry, though. He'd have to look somewhere besides the fish stand, he figured.

His next stop was a fruit stand. Everything smelled edible but ...

Shopkeep: What you want? This not wyvern food. Apples, not wyvern food. Git! Git!

He shooed Kiev with both hands. So be it, he wanted some meat, not those horse delights. The next stand's keeper saw Kiev long in advance and smiled when the wyvern approached him, sniffing around the caged chickens.

Keeper: You're hungry, I bet. Where's your master, huh? Boy, you're kind of small for a wyvern. Don't get me wrong, you could probably still fly off with a horse if you put your mind to it, but I've never seen one your size, before. How old are you, hmm?

Questions and more questions that Kiev could only answer with hungry groans until the man offered him a few slices of boneless chicken meat.

Morgan

"Being able to detect demons would make it much more difficult for Shanice to ambush us- which means we can defeat it eventually. I would think you would want to see it destroyed; Shanice killed you once did it not? Vengeance would be a natural reaction," Morgan said to Miranda.

Charlotte

"Thank you for the advice Colonel Kleine, and your support. I doubt it will be easy, but most things worth fighting for aren't easy to get. I do wonder where Jace is though- he does have a reputation for promptness," she said to Damian. Perhaps a demon decided to bite his head off on the way here...oh that's terrible Charlotte he should at least stand trial before being decapitated. she chastisted herself mentally.

Tristan and Brunhilde

"So you want everyone to band together to kill the demons? That's why we're here too really, the demons threaten all of us," Tristan said to Cassandra.

"Not the only reason though. As much as I would like to believe that Halton "accidentally" stumbled over the border and began attacking Septimian citizens, I saw enough to know that wasn't the truth. There are a number of people who have a lot to answer for here," Brunhilde said, eyeing down Aiya and the princess.

Miranda

Miranda: Yeah ... you'd think I'd want to ring the little bastard's neck but things aren't always so 'convenient' ....

Lev: Don't expect this to work but ... maybe you would do it for Iso's sake?

Miranda: Do what for his sake? You're looking for a way to detect demons, right? There's plenty of ways to do that, one, just having another demon around who's on your side. Two, Ixion. Three, a chimera like Fenris. If you want to learn to detect them yourself, then that would probably take longer ... unless you're just looking for some quick technique to identify them. Or the fool's method as I used to call it~ So which is it, are you looking for some sort of technique? Some surefire method of spotting an imposter in the group ...?

Lev: ....

Miranda: Wouldn't one of the crimson weapons suffice for something as simple as that ... a certain lance, perhaps?

Lev: (I'm pretty sure Morgan's after something that can be at her own fingertips and not someone else's. She's already going to lose enough influence over this summit and Damian and Conrad's glorification from the looks of things.)

Cassandra

Cassy: (I knew that wouldn't escape the summit discussions. Just as well. I may as well address it now rather than in the middle of a shouting competition that's COMPLETELY off topic.) Well I believe that Septimus herself gives us enough proof that a given nation is not all of the same mind. The intentions of Halton as a whole is not to exercise militaristic dominance over the other nations, but to realize peace. I mean no disrespect, Lady Brunhilde, but I do support some of the actions taken during the opening days of the civil war. I would far prefer to see a united Septimus with shields and swords guarding her borders against Halton than foolish and untimely infighting. At a time like this, nations in disarray have little hope of contributing to the fight against the demons, after all ... and we cannot afford to be overrun by them.

"As Her Highness Princess Cassandra stated, nothing could be more disastrous than such civil war in a time of looming demonic threat. To put it simply, if Jace was to continue along his path, he had to be put down. Hopefully this very meeting will make it so that doesn't remain the case." Aiya added, taking note of Brunhilde's calculating glare.

"At the very least, now we are unified for the time being, and that worthless slaughter is averted. Regardless, I believe the Brute needs to answer for his actions. Even though Harold and Percy may have grown power hungry to an extent, neither have taken it to the level that Jace has. I don't know what obligation those men think the world has to them, but I plan to assure with my own hands the second generation of Heroes does not end up the same... I know Damian won't... I plan to influence the others to the same as well I can." Aiya said with a solemn tone, clenching her fist slightly.

"No man should have the right to upheave the entire continent in such troubled times, regardless of what good he may have done in the past."

"Yes, though we are here early, so I suppose that may be it...-" Damian replied, before stopping abruptly. He felt an aura of vast murderous intent seeping from Charlotte, though it faded rather quickly.

"Err... Charlotte... you do know it would be against your best interest to attempt to sear his eyes out here, of all places, right?" Damian asked with a concerned tone.

Morgan

"Wait, Ixion knows how to detect demons and can make chimeras to do so? How has he amassed so much knowledge so quickly?" Morgan asked of Miranda, somewhat frustrated. And why do I not know these things? Has Ixion acquired secrets Flemeth could not? Or are these just some of the many things she thought best not to teach me...

"I avoided using Gae-Borg for testing because of the instability of it and its wielder and I am not sure whether Ixion's solution would have fixed that or not...however if chimeras can detect demons we could simply borrow one and take it with us I suppose. We have enough random stragglers and their pets in the group that one who is actually useful would not be a burden," she said to Miranda.

Tristan and Brunhilde

"Well, I guess we do agree on something. Never figured Halton's invasion was to stop Jace from invading them too," Tristan responded to Aiya, somewhat surprised.

"Neither did I. Halton didn't really follow diplomatic protocol for a foreign peacekeeping force, at least as far as I'm aware. Hell, I ended up siding with the rebels against the Haltonian army, since they sure seemed like a foreign invasion force to me. I guess the question is what Halton would have done after the demons were dealt with. Would it be Isolde on the throne? Jace? Or Cassius himself? I may not know Haltonian politics as well as you princess, but I know Halton has been annexing small nations ever since the last war. It's something worth noting," Brunhilde said dubiously.

Charlotte

"Of course I know that. Violence at political events is highly discouraged. In fact, if Jace resorts to violence it would signify that I had won the argument. Well, except for the whole possibly being dead part. For all his faults, Jace is quite good with an axe," Charlotte admitted to Damian.

Miranda

Miranda: In my time with Ixion I have learned that he is a man that likes to go to the source of a problem. Do you remember the battle at the cave where several of your crimson weapons were lost at once? Shanice was captured along with Proxima after that battle. That's how I was able to return it to Iso after our little ... disagreement. Think of what one could learn from a captured demon like Shanice ... especially if said demon's cooperation isn't even necessary ....

Lev: What'd he do, suck the information out?

Miranda gave Lev a sinister grin. She may not have been in the best position to kill Shanice, but just hearing about the demon's suffering made her somewhat happy.

Miranda: I don't know what he did, but he was confident enough in what he learned to let the bastard go after the incident. (Perhaps he suspected the same thing that I did ... if he'd killed Shanice back then ...)

---

Miranda: As for animals, I learned about Fenris' demon sense recently when I was playing a game with him ... always manages to find me no matter where I go. My theory is that demonic composition contains something that at least Fenris can sniff out. That or Ixion is fucking with me .... It wouldn't be difficult for him to create a chimera specifically designed to point a finger at anyone who also carries that scent ... isn't that right, Levski? You've seen them first hand.

Lev: (Giant tunneling worms, dragon swarming gargoyles, hellhounds ... sure why not a demon detector ...) ... I guess.

Miranda: So which would you prefer, Morgan? The fool's method, actual training, or a dog that scares the living crap out of people?

Cassy

Cassy: Well we've learned from the Elysimian government that words are often not enough to stay riled men ready for war, unfortunate as that is. Given the situation with the demons, it's very likely that my father would have instated someone who could best maintain stability during the course of the demon war, almost certainly the original royal family. He is fully aware that an attempt to 'conquer' Septimus would have weakened all involved and only complicated these upcoming talks.

"Yes, tales of his skill are legendary for a reason... even with everything going on, as a veteran from the last war, he will be revered in times such as these... maybe that's why he chose now to make his attempt on Septimus... no one would want to get rid of one of the Six with a new demonic threat approaching..." Damian mused with a grimace.

"Still, this is our best shot to do something about him. It'll be hard to get past those who cling to him out of fear, but that is just a challenge you'll have to overcome, isn't it?" Damian added, a frown adorning his face.

"You just keep drawing the short stick, don't you? There's no reason you had to go through all this shit... just cause old man Jace wanted some land to call his own. It may not be much help to you, but I'll do whatever I can to support you, alright Charlotte?"

"I worry about the outcome, though. Jace has plenty of things to answer for, but... he is one of the Six Heroes... in the time of a demonic threat... who are people going to turn to?" Aiya scowled as she spoke, rubbing her temples.

"He is practically immortal as is. Who would stand against one of the Six when demons are afoot? He certainly picked the best time to invade... from his point of view. If he is instrumental in driving back the horde a second time, who would support a faction wishing to take from him the throne?" Aiya exposed, leaning back against the wall for a moment.

"I think more than anything... that will be your greatest trial, Prince Tristan."

Morgan

"I would prefer to rely on myself if possible, but such training may take too much time...I will take the dog if it too lengthy. Actually I may want to take the dog anyway, extra security against hidden demons cannot hurt. Unless Fenris is just drawn to your scent specifically, that would not be as useful," she added.

Charlotte

"People are often willing to overlook crimes in the name of their own security," Charlotte agreed with Damian somewhat sadly. "In a way I'm almost reluctant to bring up the demons at all- they'll distract everyone from what Jace has already done. We just need to convince everyone that we don't need him to save the people of this world."

Tristan and Brunhilde

"A nice idea, Princess. We'll see how it works out I guess," Brunhilde said to her.

"Then we beat the demons first, stop Jace from having a chance to be a hero again. Not like we did very well at Altenau," Tristan added at the end.

"Wait, you fought demons? Kiddo, I know I gave you some training but not enough for full combat," Brunhilde said skeptically, eyebrow raised at her nephew.

"I don't want to sit back and let other people die for me, I want to fight. That's why you taught me how to fight right? Despite Mother's protests?" the prince asked of her.

"Yeah I guess, I just...well we can discuss this later," she said to him. I would think that I'd be better fit for their little group than him...

Edited by -Cynthia-

Miranda

Miranda: Depends on who you are. If you want a demon seeking dog, best to have Ixion make you one while he's in town ... be sure to ask nicely~ If you want to gain the 'ability' to sense them. Maybe you've come to the right person after all. I can sense demons naturally, and I do know enough about how it works to pass a semblance of the skill on to others. I couldn't promise you'd be detecting them in a day ... but surely you're competent enough to learn the skill while it's still useful to you.

Edited by Phoenix

A Meeting

Alex kept vigilant as she entered the residence, wary for any form of hostility. Father probably wouldn't dare send assassins, but Halton was ruthless enough. Cassandra, a princess of Halton, walked over and was in genial conversation with Lady Brunhilde and the Prince, though, so an attempt looked unlikely. The Hero's daughter looked over towards the table, where the Princess was sitting. Lady Charlotte, it seemed, had taken up discussion with Kleine. So, she was likely safe, as well. That was excellent, since if there had been an attempt, the Duchess of Rielle would've had a difficult time fending the attackers off. Her silverydress felt a few sizes too large, but perhaps that was because of the diet on the road. Regardless, it had taken a few tries for her to be able to move without tripping, and a few more to be able to run in it. Strangely, Father was not there yet. He was usually ridiculously early. Had something happened?

"...Hopefully they'll find out what happened to him by the end of the week, Jace said to Daneka, as the two entered the main hall. "Now, onto business, it seems. The princesses and the prince are all here, I see..."

Daneka

Daneka: From one battlefield to anozer. Can't say I'm looking forward to all ze bickering, but I'm here if you need anyzing. (It would be nice to take the edge off. It's a bit early for alcohol, though. I'll endure ....)

Looking around the main hall, she confirmed the sightings Jace had mentioned. She also spotted Harold. None of the other women were being bothered, so she felt secure enough. Though she was less afraid, and more curious about what she would do if the hero tried to court her. She wasn't one to reflexively shoo a man away. She felt more inclined to take advantage of any perks that could be had before having to reject any proposal. Harold didn't seem like he would be doing much of anything, however. He was passed out in his seat. Percival was watching him and eating a few snacks a maid gone waitress had brought at his request. Daneka could spot every crumb that hit the floor and grimaced.

Daneka: (Sometimes ... I wonder if Jace just ... sucked the intelligence out of the other five and then went on his merry way ....)

Morgan

"Well, if the Crimson Weapons have taught us anything, it is that demons are their own worst enemies. We should be here for a few days, so I will accept your offer, Miranda. Let us begin immediately," Morgan proposed.

Brunhilde

Brunhilde turned when Jace and Daneka entered the room. "If you folks will excuse me, I'm going to catch up with an old comrade now," she said, excusing herself from Cassandra and Aiya.

"So, you really did turn traitor and join Jace huh? I was hoping it had just been a nasty rumor," Brunhilde said somewhat sadly, walking up to Daneka.

Miranda

Lev: I hope it's fine if I ... stick around for this. (I doubt Miranda's the demon we should be worried about but we can't be too careful. Morgan didn't seem to like the idea of being alone with a possible threat, so at least I can prevent THAT.)

Miranda: A private lesson would be preferable but what I'm hoping to teach her makes another human useful. We've got myself, a demon, you, a human, and Fenris, a mix of wild animals bound by magic ... a chimera. That should be perfect for exercises. If you're serious about learning to detect demons, you're going to have to learn to detect other things, first. It will help you discern better~

Lev: (Iiii really don't like that mischievous grin of hers.)

Miranda: There is one thing I would ask of you, though. Nothing major ....

Daneka

Daneka: (I'll Endure ...) Call me a traitor if you wish ... but don't forget zat not everyone has goals zat will keep zem under one king and queen, or one master forever.

She crossed her arms and returned a bit of a sad expression herself. She hadn't enough alcohol in her system to be apathetic about this sort of thing.

Morgan

"Well, I suppose I should not expect receiving something for nothing. Hopefully it is nothing...sordid," Morgan said, narrowing her eyes at Miranda.

Brunhilde

"And what are your goals, if I may ask? You never seemed the sort of person to turn on your rulers without just cause. I know Jerome's death hit you hard, but joining forces with someone willing to butcher the royal families of Jerdon and Septimus seems pretty extreme," Brunhilde said, crossing her arms.

Miranda

Miranda: Hmm, dunno what would qualify as sordid to you. Could be. How do you feel about not destroying Shanice should you run into the little bastard?

Lev immediately squinted his eyes at Miranda.

Lev: You know ... that's something we'd expect to hear from someone on their side.

Miranda: If I was on their side, I'd take you both out while I've got the chance. I'm working for Ixion here, not the demons. That's part of why my conditions are what they are. I want something from Shanice but in order to get it, I need the icy critter alive long enough to take it, and I can't go tracking him down while I'm playing Ixion's servant. Once I get what I need from him, I'll be set. I'll kill'em myself after that, provided no one gets in my way. So those are my conditions. Too sordid, or is learning to detect demons worth leaving one of them to me?

Daneka

Daneka: I'm sorry, but that is a little too personal for a place such as zis. Ask me anozer time, Brunhilde. (My reasons ... losing track of Alphonse has brought back all of those painful memories. I have no idea where he might be, but now I have to find him, too.) Try not to take it personally zough. Not every defection is going to come from greed or bitterness.

Edited by Phoenix

Morgan

"Well..hmm I was not expecting that," Morgan said, a bit taken aback by Miranda's request. "I will start by saying that even if I do not kill Shanice, someone else probably will want to- Isotov for instance. I am also curious as to why you would want to keep it alive."

Brunhilde

Brunhilde shrugged at Daneka's response. "Maybe there are good reasons for overthrowing kings and queens, tax rates are too high or some shit, I don't really pay attention to be honest. But I have a lot of trouble not taking it personally when my sister's in prison and your men are trying to shoot down my nephew. Hopefully we can reach some sort of agreement at this summit thing, but if we can't...well I'll probably have to kill you if you keep siding with Jace," Brunhilde said bluntly.