Delphi shield effect for other classes.

FalconVegeta1986

I've been chatting with another member who unfortunately won't be here for awhile, and she brought up an interesting idea. Is there a byte (or perhaps a whole offset or whatnot) that would allow an item to give protection against horse-slaying weapons? I know you can find the right data for giving weapons effectiveness (like in TU), but can it be done the other way? And would it interfere with giving the item in question the protection from crits ability as well?

I think the Delphi shield effect is hardcoded so there'd probably only be one instance of that effect meaning to make a similar effect you'd have to hardcode it. In other words it's a good idea but it wouldn't be easy unless I'm mistaken... which is possible since I'm purely going off of memory.

I think the Delphi shield effect is hardcoded so there'd probably only be one instance of that effect meaning to make a similar effect you'd have to hardcode it. In other words it's a good idea but it wouldn't be easy unless I'm mistaken... which is possible since I'm purely going off of memory.

Well... it might not have to be that 'hard' coded... if some unused bit were found in the item struct, it could be used to indicate the 'negate effectiveness' property, and then the delphi shield coding could be rewritten to check for that bit in each inventory item, instead of checking for the delphi shield and only for fliers.

Actually, wait, I guess it'd have to be a separate bit for each effectiveness type, since otherwise you could give the delphi shield to an armor and it would be like 'lol armorslayer, no problem, I have an effectiveness-negation item'.

Edited by zahlman

I will be honest, I do believe this effect is hardcoded. You can give effect of Delphi Shield for any other item, I think that in the weapon ability 2 it was listed as the bit 0x40 for the the Delphi Shield's effect. The issue is yeah, it is hardcoded to work only for flying. To make it work for another effect which defends against terrestrial weakness, you would have to code your own and use a bit for it's use, or something similar to that. I don't think that without at least some ASM you would be able to make an item which protected against horseriding

As for the effect, in the same weapon ability in nightmare, the bit 0x80 is labeled Negate Critical. While I do believe if you made an item which both negated criticals and horseslayers it would be quite a strong effect to use a single item slot for, I never heard of any conflict in between them both. To be honest I don't even know if those are the bits which work with them, I never even considered using those abilities in any item other than those 2. So if you can either corrupt the effect of Delphi Shield to make it work for horseback units, or make a new one for scratch for that, I honestly think the mixing would work perfectly.

Hey guys, don't know if this'll help, but I was just looking around on FEU (Edit: SOS now) and found this (It's for FE8 but there might be something similar in FE7, too):

At offset 16C74 there are two pointers right next to each other and it should look like this: 2A DF 8A 08 F1 DE 8A 08. 2A DF 8A 08 points to the offset 8ADF2A which is the offset for weapons effective against flying units. F1 DE 8A 08 points to to the offset 8ADEF1 which is the offset for weapons effective against monsters and flying units. There is a third pointer next to the previous two, but I don't know what it is for and it isn't another weapon effectiveness pointer. By changing the pointer of

either 2A DF 8A 08 or F1 DE 8A 08 to any new weapon effectiveness pointer you want, the Filli/Delphi/Free Shield will protect you from taking effectiveness damage from that pointer, so you can make the shield protect you from all effectiveness bonuses. I AM NOT SURE HOW THE SLAYER SKILL FACTORS INTO THIS AND WHETHER OR NOT YOU CAN BE PROTECTED FROM IT WITH THE SHIELD (Since I didn't test it and the slayer skill is not a weapon. Looking at Xeld/Obviam/Hextator's skill notes would probably help solve this mystery if it is somehow different)! Just make sure you remember to also change the actual weapon effectiveness pointers too in the item editor module.

^^That's from Blademaster

Edited by Jubby

I think that'd only change it for one item (i.e. just the Delphi Shield, you couldn't add the effect to ANOTHER separate item without ASM) but it's still be useful.

EDIT: It took like 1 minute, 20 seconds not including the time it took to load the programs and ROMs lol. Just change the pointer at 0x168A0 to an "effectiveness pointer" to negate the effectiveness of a weapon on a certain class. Right now it's set to classes 0x32-0x37 so that any unit that is one of those classes who is fighting in a battle whose enemy wields a weapon normally effective against that class will not suffer the effectiveness bonus from that weapon. Like Blademaster said you can change those values to every class to make it so that no weapons effect that unit. Thanks for this info goes to Blademaster, not me. Remember that this changes the Delphi Shield's effect, doesn't create a new one... creating a new one would probably take another entirely hardcoded effect (but in a similar manner) or something that remakes the system as a whole (like one of Nintenlord's patches where there are tables of pointers to values and every pointer is treated in a similar manner or something...). Neither of which are within my capability so yeah >_>

Edited by Strawhat Luffy