I kinda need this advice ASAP.

FalconVegeta1986

Because my computer is currently without security.

My norton antivirus expired a few weeks ago, and now I keep getting messages from XP internet security saying I have several threats attempting to get my info. It also has an option I can use right now to use my card and buy a one year security plan. Should I trust it? Will it protect me fully? Or might it be a scam? It keeps popping up every few minutes. thanks guys.

I wouldn't trust any popups right now if I were you. There's a bunch of solid free anti virus software out there like Avira and Malwarebytes. Try those. If all else fails, buy a physical copy of antivirus software.

I googled it and found a site that said to set the date 7 days ahead, so I did, and it looks like it's gone for the moment at least. It's not even something that I could remove from my programs list myself. I'll look into those other programs later if it comes back before tuesday, when I can afford a new norton disc. Thanks for the help guys.

You've been infected by a pretty nasty virus, and it probably won't be long before your computer gets all fucked up. I hear it screws around with your registry every time you touch an .exe. You'd probably be good getting someone professional to take a look at it.

It depends. . .on how much time and effort you're willing to invest in getting rid of this. . .and whether or not you've got less-than-legal stuff on your computer.

If you have pirated software, good luck.

If NOT. . .there's some forums out there that'll help you remove it. Bleeping Computer's usually busy, but What The Tech isn't.

I googled it and found a site that said to set the date 7 days ahead, so I did, and it looks like it's gone for the moment at least. It's not even something that I could remove from my programs list myself. I'll look into those other programs later if it comes back before tuesday, when I can afford a new norton disc. Thanks for the help guys.

Don't waste your money on Norton, there are plenty of absolutely free anti virus and anti spyware programs out there that are simply better, including Avast!, Spybot Search and Destroy and AVG Free Edition.

OK, I downloaded the free version of avast and ran a full scan. It's been scanning for 3 hours now. Would it be a bad idea to try and upload something from a PSP memory stick if i'm suspecting I have a virus? The option to scan removable items looks like it could be used to scan my memory card. Do any of these scans actually remove viruses?

Side note: my computer has been running slower for the past 2 days now, but on occasion, it will speed up, so I guess it's working, right?

OK, actually, I scanned both my cards. The main one said it had no viruses, but the other said it had 1, so I moved it to a section called the chest by accident instead of deleting/removing it, or, does that mean it was deleted/removed?

Edited by Richter Belmont

If it's moved to the chest, it was quarantined, so it should be okay.

Meanwhile, it sounds like you haven't gotten rid of whatever's ailing you. Try using ESET's free online scanner, and see what it picks up.

Because my computer is currently without security.

My norton antivirus expired a few weeks ago, and now I keep getting messages from XP internet security saying I have several threats attempting to get my info. It also has an option I can use right now to use my card and buy a one year security plan. Should I trust it? Will it protect me fully? Or might it be a scam? It keeps popping up every few minutes. thanks guys.

I had this problem too because I was being a fucking idiot.

For you, it just seems like you were going on...questionable sites without protection. Here's what you do...

Download, install, and use TrojanKiller. It's got a trial version, I believe. It doesn't matter if it does or not though, because:

Download, install, and use MalwareBytes. It's got a 30-day trial version. Use it.

Download a free registry cleaner (CCleaner is the best, I think). Install it and use it to clean your registry of all terrible things completely (multiple scans).

For FURTHER prevention:

Download Firefox

Download the following add-ons:

Avast

Web of Trust

Download the free version of Avast

Buy it if you can, for full protection