Palette Offsets

Bryan

Pause the game at that image, open the palette viewer. Find the memory offset, look in the memory viewer for it. Then, save a short string of bytes. (20) Afterwards look for it in a hex editor.

When I did this, I got something in the 60000000 range, when the top choice in GBAGE is around 10000000. (I can't remember the exact numbers, I closed the Hex editor and GBAGE.)

I'm looking for the palette for the game select things. (The ones that show which mode and have which chapter you're on.)

Edited by Bryan

When I did this, I got something in the 60000000 range

Yes. That's because that's where the GBA puts palettes in its own memory space. (You have an extra zero, though.)

Now, open the memory viewer (that's a separate thing from the palette viewer) and go to that memory address. Copy bytes from that range. Open a hex editor and look for the same sequence of bytes in the ROM. GBAGE is not part of this process at all.

Yes. That's because that's where the GBA puts palettes in its own memory space. (You have an extra zero, though.)

Now, open the memory viewer (that's a separate thing from the palette viewer) and go to that memory address. Copy bytes from that range. Open a hex editor and look for the same sequence of bytes in the ROM. GBAGE is not part of this process at all.

I'm not wanting to edit the palette, just wanting to assign the proper palette to the screen select so that everything isn't odd colors when I edit it.

I'm not wanting to edit the palette, just wanting to assign the proper palette to the screen select so that everything isn't odd colors when I edit it.

I know. Once you find the bytes in the ROM using the hex editor, you use the address shown in the hex editor to adjust the pointer value in Nightmare.

The data's location in the ROM is totally independent of where it ends up in memory when the game actually uses it. It has to be copied from the ROM into palette memory for it to work. We're finding it in the palette memory (which is easy because of how palette memory works), and then finding it again in the ROM data by looking for the same data pattern.

Your way doesn't indeed use the memory viewer, instead it views each individual color by the byte in the palette viewer, and writes it again in a hex editor, before looking for the chunk. It is a nifty system if you panic in front of Memory Viewer, that is true. :)

Regardless, glad to see a question like this gave birth to a good guide. That more of those come to be!

Lawl, and I'm glad to see that you think it's good xD (I do panic in the face of the memory viewer) I'm also probably going to be writing some graphics tool guides in the future for the Ultimate Tutorial, I could post them here as well though, if there's any interest :P

I can't blame anyone by panicking when they see a white screen full of tons of random numbers and a dropbox with words as weird as "RAM" "ROM" "IOF" and stuff, so I get your feelings yo. On of my favorite hacking apps has a window like that full of complex terms and dropboxes, and the top bar of it has written (DO NOT PANIC!). XD

And then I should be thanking you in advance for helping the community. :) I also consider myself primarily a graphical hacker, and I can say that due to my field of expertise I honestly know there is a lot to advance in graphics for the FE. We know tons, but we haven't applied that knowledge to the fullest yet. So the more graphical guides that can help to open minds to possibilities the better. :)

We know tons, but we haven't applied that knowledge to the fullest yet. So the more graphical guides that can help to open minds to possibilities the better. :)

+1.

I'm starting to wish we could put an IFRAME in posts for this kind of thing.

(Actually I guess spoiler tags kinda do the same thing...)

Edited by zahlman