Convoy and item settings for FE7.

FalconVegeta1986

A few things i've been trying to work on with FE7 are making the main lord in charge of the supplies like in FE8, and having items that give stat boosts simply by having them in your inventory, like how iron rune and delphi shield give protection just by holding them. However, giving Eliwood the supply pointer in either class or character data removes him from being deployable, and it doesn't appear that boosts can be assigned to the items the way I thought since there's no option to equip an item (I did check to see if weapons would give the boost, and they did, so no errors using the wrong pointer or anything). Is there any way to get either of these 2 things to work in FE7?

Blazer said it out, in a surprisingly direct and eloquent way. :)

Regarding supply, supply is a skill which has many characterstics hardcoded to it; In FE7, they check if someone has the supply "skill" and in case of true, they don't allow them to deploy normally, only with that Merlinus screen. FE8's supply also has a hardcoded share, Supply doesn't work neither in the prologue and in chapter 1. And that is as hardcoded as it gets.

So to change that you would need a small, I believe very small ASM hack to get rid of. Of course, doing it with a small ASM hack would in turn make it so Merlinus-styled convoys would stop working, so both systems can't co-exist without a share of ASM.

As for items which being held give certain abilities, trust it from the guy that managed to make one of those(Did one which makes holder immune to status); It is quite a challenge. Not only you have to actually code the new effect of the item yourself, you also have to make a specific check for the possession of said item. And if the skill works in battles it is also a challenge, since the game works battles by copying all relevant data of a unit to someplace and loading from there; And any item other than the equipped weapon doesn't count as a piece of "Relevant data", hence it gets even trickier.

Depending on which effects you do want to implement, it may range from complex to maddening. I honestly can't honestly think of a way of an item to effectively be created which gives a brand new effect without custom ASM routines; Heck, that is also true even for a new usable item.

Oh, and giving bonuses like equipped legendary items? Essentially that is what the Biorythm system of my hack does; (Check this post to see it in what you meant, since I understood it this way: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28206&view=findpost&p=1793952) It is also essentially an ASM hack which works with the loaded attributes from weapons, and then adds to them the value of the emotion, and that calculates which attributes should get higher bonuses than others with a somewhat intricate custom routine; It could be twisted so it instead of working with the emotions, it worked with the items equipped in the unit's inventory. So I will tell you guys the logic is possible, only... Takes ASM, I can't see it being done without it.

Sorry if I end up working as a cold shower to the burning passion you have for your newest project, but you guys would require someone with knowledge of how the game works in an ASM level in order to pull it off. I can't see either of those being done without ASM; Maybe there is a work-around for the earlier one if you use events, but for the later I can't honestly see a solution. I am really sorry here, I know how it feels to have expectations clash with technicalities and reality. :(

Edited by Ryrumeli

To be honest when I am finished with my project I did consider starting to write some guides on specifics of ASM hacks, as well as guides showing processes like how one can create a new skill and stuff, and maybe on debugging. So perhaps in the future this community will have subsides to do all those hacks you suggested and even more. :)

As it stands however, I focus all my free time in applying my knowledge to my hack, so I say don't expect any guides from me until at least my project is done. Sorry if that is all help I can give, say there could be light at the end of the tunnel, but yeah. Please keep on having fun with hacking regardless. :)