[Final Fantasy VI] Ah, we're back to the best FF game ever

Bluedoom

I'm having a tough time with the Guard Leader. Are the moogles in Locke's party free or...? I've stretched it as far as I can go...everyone in the back row with moogles only defending. Locke steals everything then kills one wolf. I got the guy down to about 100HP. I guess I could try again with higher levels, but I'd prefer not to have to do that.

They're free, it's impossible to kill the Guard Leader with them dead. Completely forgot about that.

My problem wasn't killing him, it was making sure that Locke didn't get any Exp during the fight. Had to try again a number of times until I got it right.

Edited by Bblader

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we should make sure Locke/Edgar don't get any exp?

..Cool. Now I can totally screw over. >.<

I better get started. Forget about the draft itself, but I need to re-read the story once again. Its just that epic!

EDIT: Progress

Had to fed Mog's team all the potions and the phoenix down to beat the boss. FUCK YEAH LOCKE, GO SAVE TERRA...Not. Its still pretty cool, I dunno why I'm so excited to see a char I'm not using.

FUCK YEAH, EDGAR!... oh wait, you won't be with me until I go into the sealed gate. ugh...

Edited by Marth

Sorry for the inconvienience, I was hospitalized the last few days. Glad you guys worked things out.

Also, you might want to switch my name to Integ's in the OP.

Edited by General Horace

He drafted for you.

Now, my score so far:

Ymir -2

Guard Leader -4

Magitek Armour -4

Vargas

Ultros (1)

Phantom Train

Rhizopas

Tunnel Armour

Hells Rider

Kefka

Dadaluma

Ultros (2)

Ifrit/Shiva

Number 024

Number 128

Cranes

Flame Eater

Ultros (3)

Ultros (4)

Typhon

Air Force

Ultima Weapon

Nelapa ------------------

Tentacles

Dullahan

Humbaba

Behemoth King

Chadarnook

Stooges

Wrexsoul

Hidon

Valigarmanda

Yeti

Master Tonberry

Samurai Soul

Deathgaze

Magic Master

Inferno

Ultima Buster

Guardian

Fiend

Demon

Goddess

------------------

Gigantuar

Leviathan

Storm Dragon

Ice Dragon

Blue Dragon

Holy Dragon

Red Dragon

Earth Dragon

Gold Dragon

Skull Dragon

------------------

Total To Date -10

Edited by Marth

So my progress so far:

I grabbed Edgar, killed off Locke and Terra and beat the Magitek Armors easily. Had to keep them confused while I suicided the pair but it was all good. Took Edgar up to level 8 in the Figaro Cave (just so he has SOME HP for Vargus) and bought a couple of useful Relics in South Figaro. Jeweled Stone is for Petrify and Star Pendant for Poison. I'll keep these going for a while until I can snag the White Cape from the hideout.

@ General Horace: Sorry mate, that was me getting antsy because I lose all free time on Sunday. You can run with the same team (you might need the Lightbringer to beat Demon thanks to 128% MEvade) of course.

So my progress so far:

I grabbed Edgar, killed off Locke and Terra and beat the Magitek Armors easily. Had to keep them confused while I suicided the pair but it was all good. Took Edgar up to level 8 in the Figaro Cave (just so he has SOME HP for Vargus) and bought a couple of useful Relics in South Figaro. Jeweled Stone is for Petrify and Star Pendant for Poison. I'll keep these going for a while until I can snag the White Cape from the hideout.

@ General Horace: Sorry mate, that was me getting antsy because I lose all free time on Sunday. You can run with the same team (you might need the Lightbringer to beat Demon thanks to 128% MEvade) of course.

No hard feelings Life, I get antsy when people don't respond to drafts after a couple days, what you did was perfectly acceptable. I'll probably start this sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Also, dumb question, are Wedge and Biggs free?

Edited by General Horace

Ok. More update.

So I finished up my shopping in South Figaro (blew all of money on Potions) and headed out to Mt. Koltz. Grabbed the Gigas Glove for use and the Main Gauche for selling. Level 8 Edgar couldn't get past the Ipoohs so I quickly grinded him up another level. That did the trick. Gigas Glove + Auto Crossbow took out the Ipoohs and Edgar finished off Vargas with 18 HP remaining. I'm so happy that I get Edgar and Sabin for the majority of the WoB. Life's gonna suck for all you guys.

I fully intend on destroying this draft.

I'll just keep this list here, similar to what Life is doing.

[spoiler=Totals]

Ymir             6 -> -3 (Level 3 Terra)
Guard Leader     8 -> -3 (Level 5 Locke)
Magitek Armour   8 -> -2 (Level 6 Locke)
Vargas          12 -> -5 (Level 7 Locke)
Ultros (1)      13 -> -7 (Level 6 Terra)
Phantom Train   14 -> -6 (Level 8 Sabin)
Rhizopas        13 -> -5 (Level 8 Sabin)
Tunnel Armour   16 -> -18 (Level 7 Locke, Level 7 Celes)
Hells Rider     14 -> -17 (Level 7 Locke, Level 9 Gau, Level 9 Cyan)
Kefka           18 -> -29 (Level 7 Locke, Level 9 Gau, Level 9 Cyan)
Dadaluma        22 -> -40 (Level 8 Locke, Level 9 Gau, Level 9 Cyan)
Ultros (2)      19 -> -28 (Level 9 Locke, Level 10 Gau, Level 10 Cyan)
Ifrit/Shiva     21 -> -34 (Level 9 Locke, Level 10 Gau, Level 10 Cyan)
Number 024      24 -> -43 (Level 9 Locke, Level 10 Gau, Level 10 Cyan)
Number 128      23 -> -37 (Level 10 Locke, Level 11 Gau, Level 11 Cyan)
Cranes          23 -> -37 (Level 10 Locke, Level 11 Gau, Level 11 Cyan)
Flame Eater     26
Ultros (3)      25
Ultros (4)      26
Typhon          26
Air Force       25
Ultima Weapon   37
Nelapa          26

------------------

Tentacles      ~33
Dullahan        37
Humbaba         31
Behemoth King  ~46
Chadarnook      37
Stooges         47
Wrexsoul        53
Hidon           43
Valigarmanda    62
Yeti            33
Master Tonberry 73
Samurai Soul    68
Deathgaze       68
Magic Master    68
Inferno         67
Ultima Buster   67
Guardian        67
Fiend           73
Demon           67
Goddess         68

------------------

Gigantuar       97
Leviathan       91
Storm Dragon    74
Ice Dragon      74
Blue Dragon     65
Holy Dragon     71
Red Dragon      67
Earth Dragon    53
Gold Dragon     62
Skull Dragon    62

Total -> -311

To Ymir - -3 turns

Terra set herself on fire, and Biggs and Wedge killed Ymir. Not much yet.

Edited by General Horace

Actually I think Terra's free till route split. Speaking of which, I should grind Terra. Dammit, I'm so screwed now. :| How awesome it'd be to have a earring at this point.

We also haven't discussed penalties.

Marth, you need to check your maths (2+4+4 doesn't equal 8), I think you started doing accumulatives at the Guard Leader. Idk how you got -4, my Locke was level 5 with a 0 exp Terra.

To Guard Leader (-3)

Locke went around and stole shit, including the mythril knife from the boss. No levels were gained.

Update time!

So, I made it to the Returner Hideout. Snagged the White Cape, Genji Glove and a bunch of Hi-Potions in preparation for the route split. Banon came in at level 3 which means that he can't survive shit. So I fought a couple of Narshe River battles and took him up to level 6. Edgar hit 10 and Sabin got to 8 (since Sabin is one of my picks). Ultros was fun and I managed a -7 on him.

Route split! Went with Locke first for shits and giggles (and the Earring/Ribbon) and had Locke/Celes running from everything (didn't even take time to kill her, just ran). Ended up facing down Tunnel Armour with a Level 5 Locke and Level 6 Celes. And I believe that's... -21 for killing him? Coolio.

EDIT: I figured out Wrexsoul. Using Banish on him counts as 0 points (no penalty since you beat him but you didn't actually kill him). Actually beating that fucker is however many points you rightfully earn.

Edited by Bblader

Marth, you need to check your maths (2+4+4 doesn't equal 8), I think you started doing accumulatives at the Guard Leader. Idk how you got -4, my Locke was level 5 with a 0 exp Terra.

To Guard Leader (-3)

Locke went around and stole shit, including the mythril knife from the boss. No levels were gained.

I think I didn't edit my stuff since I copypasted Life's.

Also, for the Guard Leader we count Locke's level, is it? Well in that case, I'll have to make mine -3 I guess.

Wait, Biggs and Wedge are free, too? I'd better restart, I missed out on a lot of cash and I gained a small amount of exp for Terra.

I will post my progress here.

Through Vargas: -15

[spoiler=Totals]

Ymir             -3 (Terra: Level 3)
Guard Leader     -3 (Locke: Level 5)
Magitek Armour   -4 (Terra: Level 4)
Vargas           -5 (Terra: Level 7, Sabin free)
Ultros (1)      13
Phantom Train   14
Rhizopas        13
Tunnel Armour   16
Hells Rider     14
Kefka           18
Dadaluma        22
Ultros (2)      19
Ifrit/Shiva     21
Number 024      24
Number 128      23
Cranes          23
Flame Eater     26
Ultros (3)      25
Ultros (4)      26
Typhon          26
Air Force       25
Ultima Weapon   37
Nelapa          26

------------------

Tentacles      ~33
Dullahan        37
Humbaba         31
Behemoth King  ~46
Chadarnook      37
Stooges         47
Wrexsoul        53
Hidon           43
Valigarmanda    62
Yeti            33
Master Tonberry 73
Samurai Soul    68
Deathgaze       68
Magic Master    68
Inferno         67
Ultima Buster   67
Guardian        67
Fiend           73
Demon           67
Goddess         68

------------------

Gigantuar       97
Leviathan       91
Storm Dragon    74
Ice Dragon      74
Blue Dragon     65
Holy Dragon     71
Red Dragon      67
Earth Dragon    53
Gold Dragon     62
Skull Dragon    62

Total -> 0

Edited by Whitefang

More updates (after going out and running to the bank)!

Blasted my way through Terra's scenario. Killed off Edgar for kicks but it didn't matter since I wasn't going to fight shit anyways. Sabin's scenario was trickier. Some formations can actually kill Sabin and I can easily run away but the Templars and Magitek Armors drop common Hi-Potions. I want. So I fought my way through the Imperial Camp and picked up the Barrier Ring, Mythril Glove and Star Pendant. Not that I actually need them (aside for the Barrier Ring since it ups Magic).

Phantom Train was fun. I walked in with full HP and a shitton of Hi-Potions (I believe it was about 12). Bombs drop Hi-Potions so I fought single formations of those. Also fought single formation Angel Whispers for shit Exp (not that I want it in the first place) and decent money (125 Gil a pop which translates to 1 Hi-Potion for every 3 or so battles). Brought my Phoenix Down collection up to 11 (10 + 1 for the Phantom Train), Hi-Potions to 20 and spent the remaining 2350 on 47 Potions for a total of 59. You're only as strong as your item stock in the earlygame of this game.

The rest of the ride is pretty uneventful. Sabin grabs the Earring, equips it to wear two and proceeds to smash both the Apparition and Phantom Train without even blinking. Free Phoenix Downs (both were free from the Apparition Room) do that. Sabin snags a -6 from the Phantom Train kill and proceeds to the Baron Falls.

The idea with Rhizopas is that you're either going to kill him in 3 rounds or die before you get that far. Megavolt hurts, !Bite hurts, Blizzard hurts and El Nino is an auto KO. And to top it off, he gets 2 attacks on his first turn. Sabin was missing the 2HKO with both Earrings so this fight is pure luck when you're under level 10. All it comes down to is how often you see Attack. The more you see it, the better your chances are. In fact, seeing Attack x3 almost guarantees you the win but the chances of that happening is about 7%. So expect a lot of resets. Sabin did grab me a -5 from the Rhizopas fight.

Recruited Gau after a side trip to Mobliz (fuck the Tintinabulum) and jumped into the Serpent's Trench. A couple of battles later (which I ran from) and an X-Potion and Green Beret richer, I arrived in Nikeah.

Ladies and gentlemen, time for the main event. LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMBLE!

Edited by Bblader

The Narshe Battle sequence is always nice. I've now perfected a way to get to the Hell's Rider and Kefka without fighting. Killing them, on the other hand, is a whole other story.

The Hell's Rider is pretty simple. 1300 HP and slow as fuck. !Silver Lance is the only thing that can leave a scratch and we're talking about ~150 damage. But he'll only use it on the first turn and that's 33% of the time. Venomist won't show up until Turn 4 and by that time, we're facing Kefka. Sabin grew a level after the battle but for actually beating the Hell's Rider, I got a -10 (-6 for Sabin and -4 for Edgar).

Kefka's much harder. Like Blizzara OHKOs both Edgar and Sabin. His attack script is pretty simple (mostly Attack but with a few dangerous spells like Thundara and Confuse thrown in) and they're coming from his pathetic 9 Magic power. If you don't see Thundara and heal with Hi-Potions once your level drops low enough, you should be fine. Auto-Crossbow and Aura Cannon is the way to go. -8 from Edgar and -9 from Sabin gives me a total of -38 levels gained from the past two battles alone. This is gonna be sick.

Edited by Bblader

Long ass update this time. My goal is to finish up to the point that Edgar and Sabin leave with this single update. I'm writing it from the beginning.

So the Figaro brothers start their journey back in Narshe. The Armoury opens up and spits out a bunch of goodies with the two most notable being a third Earring (this one for Edgar), Reflect Ring (for Ifrit/Shiva) and 5000 Gil. That's an awful lot of Hi-Potions, ya know?

In Figaro, I do my real shopping. Edgar grabbed Drill and Flash to up his damage and then spent the rest of his money on Hi-Potions and Phoenix Downs (30 and 5 respectively) after selling all my useless shit. Fun fact, Edgar first in the party gets you a discount in Figaro. Sent the castle to Kohlingen and left it.

Kohlingen's got nothing nice except for an Elixir but the Dragon's Neck Coliseum to the north has a Hero's Ring with Edgar's name written all over it. At this point, I'm starting to worry about money but I have enough for a Chocobo and ride him south to Jidoor.

Unlike Kohlingen, Jidoor's shops actually have nice stuff. I'm looking at you, Ninja Gear. The problem is that it costs 1100 Gil and a Mythril Vest for Edgar is an additional 1200. Taking a look at my relics, the "sorta useless" ones are the Sniper Eye, Mythril Glove, Thief's Bracer, 2x Hyper Wrist, Peace Ring, Jeweled Ring, Barrier Ring and Knight's Code. I'll never need the Knight's Code, Sniper Eye or Thief's Bracer so I can sell those. The Mythril Glove and Barrier Ring will never come in handy due to having to be in critical to activate. And the Hyper Wrists are simply inferior to a Gigas Glove or anything like it. Everything else may have a purpose later in life but it's unlikely due to having a Ribbon already. This selling binge nets me 12.1k in Gil, an amount that I'm not really to go nuts with in buying stuff. My item stock is pretty ridiculous as it is.

Side note: I also found out that there's a Hermes' Sandals that I've missed. I will be backtracking for those when I can. Need them for a WoR boss.

A chocobo and Tent later and I'm at the beginning of Zozo. And my friend just came so it's time to go out drinking.

Edited by Bblader

I've just started to ease myself into the challenge. Standard stuff for Ymir and Guard Leader.

I managed to kill the magitek armors with a level 3 Terra, but it required going all out from turn 1, instead of killing off Locke and Edgar right away. It did give me the necessary strategy, however. A level 4 Terra can cast 2 cures and still have enough MP to kill the armors. I ended up using a few potions as well. She barely had enough max HP to survive a laser hit and a metal kick. It wasn't too tough, but required a bit of luck.

Now I've gone through the cave and grabbed a few things. I grabbed the ether and phoenix down. I want to get to level 5 or so, but Terra barely survived against 2 Unseelies, so I decided to loot Figaro first. Hopefully more progress later.

TO MAGITEK ARMOURS (-2)

Gave Locke a level for survivability, and more offence. He desparately needed both. Once the first one was dead, the second was a piece of cake.

TO VARGAS (-5)

I thought this was gonna suck bigtime, but it was rather easy with the Hermes Sandles and Main Gauche. Locke took ~105 damage from Gale Cut, so I just spammed potions after that, then spammed attacking on the Ipooh's.

7hysK.png

Going down the River with level 3 Terra and Banon should be fun...

Edited by General Horace

CONTINUING ON WHILE DRUNK (or at least significantly buzzed)!

Edgar and Sabin blazed through Zozo like a herd of bulls in a china shop. And by blazed, I mean ran from everything and absolutely destroyed Dadaluma with Aura Cannon/Drill/Flash. That's a -25 for Dadaluma with a level 10 Edgar and level 9 Sabin. Snagged the Chainsaw too while I was at it. Never hurts to have extra damage (didn't feel like playing around with ID in this battle but I don't understand why I didn't. Got a Hermes Sandals from the top of Zozo so I don't need to backtrack either (only need 1 pair for Tentacles). Got myself the first four Espers (wow, been a while since I've had more than just Ramuh from the end of Zozo. Siren to Sabin (for Sleep and Slow specifically) while Edgar gets Ramuh (he's summoning). Might start half grinding now.

Looking at the MP totals, Sabin needs about 15 AP for Slow (his slowest vital spell) so I'm going to allow myself to have them fight for that much AP (he would love it for Ultros but won't have it until Ifrit/Shiva). Edgar just needs to summon Ramuh so fuck his AP intake. Tools are good enough until I can drop him.

I make my way back down to Jidoor. I only fight stuff if it gives me 2 AP. If it's only 1, fuck it. Not worth the Exp. Edgar and Sabin both grow a level on this journey (Sabin is 5 AP away from Slow and has learned Sleep while Edgar can now trivialize the IMRF with Flash/Chainsaw/Drill/Thunder). I unlock the Opera House and head down there. I save here because I'm too drunk to continue. Sad but true.

Yes, Terra is awesome! I finally got past Vargas. I started at level 4 and worked my way up. I stopped at level 7. Just enough HP to survive several bear attacks and Gale Cut. However, I used an elixir, 2 Hi-potions, and several potions. We'll see if it was worth it.