[FE8] fe8 draft number fart

Naglfar

Credit to Zahlman and Wen for some of the rules here, I believe.

-This draft is for 4 players. Each player will draft 7 units.

-Eirika, Ephraim, Orson, Myrrh, and the final undrafted unit (Marisa) free.

-Seth is not part of the drafting pool.

-Hard mode.

-Either route.

-Undrafted units may not be deployed. Unforced units are never required for the purposes of recruitment. Exception: Colm and Rennac may be deployed in C15 even if they are undrafted.

-Units have no restrictions on their actions on the battlefield, whether forced, drafted or freshly recruited.

-No tower, no ruins, no skirmishes - except for getting trainees to 10/1/0. That is all you may use them for.

-Everyone picks twice during the second round.

-Count defend chapters as the game does (if you time out a 7-turn defend chapter, it counts as 8 turns).

Draft order: 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1

[spoiler=Drafting pool]-Remaining Units-

Marisa

Teams:

1. Eclipse - Vanessa, Forde, Moulder, Tethys, Ross, Knoll, Rennac

2. Marth - Franz, Gerik, Colm, Cormag, Gilliam, L'Arachel, Ewan

3. Manix - Saleh, Lute, Joshua, Kyle, Innes, Neimi, Dozla

4. Naglfar - Garcia, Tana, Artur, Natasha, Duessel, Amelia, Syrene

Edited by Naglfar

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in, even if having an undrafted Vanessa rescue Ross/Natasha is damn useful.

EDIT: This:

-Units have no restrictions on their actions on the battlefield, whether forced, drafted or freshly recruited.

means that I can do things like sacrifice Natasha if I didn't draft her, or use Artur early?

Edited by eclipse

Might as well ad this under my belt of unfinished drafts. At least this is easy, So I'll most probably finish it.

Famous last words. I had a draft where my best combat unit was Colm. Frickin' Colm. Kyle didn't cooperate, and the rest of my team kinda sucked as well. Just hope your team is kind to you.

I'm in, even if having an undrafted Vanessa rescue Ross/Natasha is damn useful.

EDIT: This:

means that I can do things like sacrifice Natasha if I didn't draft her, or use Artur early?

Natasha and Artur are forced in their respective joining chapters, so yes, you may do whatever you like with either.

Order is up. Have fun.

What does this mean?

All units can be recruited without ever deploying a unit you don't have to deploy. FE8 is a bit weak as far as recruitment requirements go.

Also, I have to say that I think the current ruleset sounds better, but I hope this goes well.

Any reason why?

This one's rather complicated and unclear and I think the current one sounds a bit more fun.

I never had fun trying to avoid penalties. If anything this is significantly less complicated. If you would tell me where I have failed to construct coherent and unambiguous English sentences, that would be helpful.

Also, why does it say "Seth is not part of the drafting pool." instead of "Seth is banned."?

I lifted the ban. It's superfluous under this ruleset, and I did it to solve the issue of the opinion disparity regarding P and C1.

Why isn't warp banned?

Warp only saves so many turns (like, 10 at most, maybe 15 if you abuse the hell out of it). The only characters that could possibly get the A Staves for Warp are Moulder and Natasha (Saleh maybe, if you have him only use staves.). The problem lies that you also need a good combat unit (and possibly more than just one), and without severe blessing, is limited to a small pool of characters. If you draft one of the possible warpers, then chances are you'll have to use a sub-par combat unit, and vice-versa.

Also, without major abuse for magic levels, Warp's range is pitiful. That's a major problem with using Warp. It's very high risk in this game (although I remember there being 2 or 3 Energy Rings Eirika route, that resources not going to a combat unit who would use it better.)

Unlike FE:DS, where Warp's range is infinite, hence why it's banned.

That's my opinion, anyhow. Warp doesn't break this game THAT much.

Saleh will break the game wide open with 3 energy rings on Eirika's route. I've got him to hit warp while using Seth, so I'd think without Seth the game would go by a little slower in some chapters.

I never had fun trying to avoid penalties. If anything this is significantly less complicated. If you would tell me where I have failed to construct coherent and unambiguous English sentences, that would be helpful.

It doesn't sound like penalties would be a huge problem given the current ruleset. And I am doing that as I spot them.

I lifted the ban. It's superfluous under this ruleset, and I did it to solve the issue of the opinion disparity regarding P and C1.

Okay, that's really put me off now. Is there really so much of an argument about doing those chapters with just Eirika? It sounds pretty simple to me really. :/:

It doesn't sound like penalties would be a huge problem given the current ruleset. And I am doing that as I spot them.

They're not a huge problem, but that doesn't mean it's not annoying and tedious to make sure forced units you didn't draft are out of the way. And doing what as you spot them? Nothing you've said has given me any ideas as to how I could improve my wording.

Okay, that's really put me off now. Is there really so much of an argument about doing those chapters with just Eirika? It sounds pretty simple to me really. :/:

Some people like to make certain specific moves to 2-turn the prologue and 5-turn C1 with Eirika alone. Others don't, and take longer. That bugged me, so I removed that factor. No, nobody argues about it. That doesn't mean it can't be better. Subtle improvements are improvements too.

I would ask for a proper opinion rather than "eh the old one was good enough wasnt it", but I'm fairly sure you've never so much as joined a draft ever. Which brings me to wonder why you care in the first place.

Saleh will break the game wide open with 3 energy rings on Eirika's route.

I don't see how a little extra Warp range beyond Saleh's base is going to save more than a couple of turns, honestly. There are plenty of viable Warpers to go around, some obviously superior to others, and it comes too late to break the game anyway. If anything, it curbs some of the later draft-unfriendly chapters.

They're not a huge problem, but that doesn't mean it's not annoying and tedious to make sure forced units you didn't draft are out of the way.

People do that in every draft. :/

And doing what as you spot them? Nothing you've said has given me any ideas as to how I could improve my wording.

Pointing them out.

Some people like to make certain specific moves to 2-turn the prologue and 5-turn C1 with Eirika alone. Others don't, and take longer. That bugged me, so I removed that factor. No, nobody argues about it. That doesn't mean it can't be better. Subtle improvements are improvements too.

Doesn't sound like a problem to me, and letting Seth loose sounds a lot worse than some people soloing faster.

I would ask for a proper opinion rather than "eh the old one was good enough wasnt it", but I'm fairly sure you've never so much as joined a draft ever. Which brings me to wonder why you care in the first place.

Because I've actually thought of joining/starting an FE8 draft at some point, these rules could seriously put me off doing it.

People do that in every draft. :/

So?

Doesn't sound like a problem to me,

handicaps and unfair advantages sure aren't a problem nope

and letting Seth loose sounds a lot worse than some people soloing faster.

For all of four extremely short chapters?

Just gonna throw some examples out there to illustrate a point (that Naglfar is trying to argue).

Firstly, consider that everyone is affected by this. No one gets any particular advantage over anyone else. It's mostly there to take the sting out of early chapters and a few others.

For being able to use forced units, this is what it changes: (A is Eirika route, B is Ephraim route)

P: Seth use (not required in the slightest)

C1: Seth, Franz and Gilliam (handy, saves the trouble of a possible Eirika solo (hence, less luck based))

C2: *all of the above* and Vanessa and Moulder (Rescue Ross/Garcia if they are about to die as NPC's)

C3: *all of the above* and Ross, Garcia, Neimi and Colm (superfluous by this point)

C4: Artur and Lute (not required, but at least Artur can defend himself)

C5: Natasha and Joshua (kind of handy, particularly for those recruiting Josh)

C5x: Kyle and Forde (easier ride to the throne room, can split and get the Killer Lance)

C6: None

C7: None

C8: Kyle and Forde again (easier to break out of the corner where they start, you can start funneling through the treasure room for a quicker clear instead of sending units to save them)

C9A/B: Tana, Amelia (not that useful at all, except for possible (and unlikely) rescue dropping in 9A)

etc. (can't be bothered with the rest, except for some particular instances that are notable)

C15A: Duessel, Knoll (Duessel makes the southern half far more bearable)