Gameplay question

Inactive Account

So I'm making a game (have been for a while) but I was wondering something about the system. The main player character controls are similar to LoZ, but there are ally characters as well. So my question to you is this:

Would it be annoying to have a group of friend characters following you around? You don't have to protect them; they have decent AI and will fight for themselves if attacked and they can help you in bigger battles (most boss battles involve teamwork). You don't have to babysit them at all or even deal with them much if you want; they just follow you. Would they be annoying?

So I'm making a game (have been for a while) but I was wondering something about the system. The main player character controls are similar to LoZ, but there are ally characters as well. So my question to you is this:

Would it be annoying to have a group of friend characters following you around? You don't have to protect them; they have decent AI and will fight for themselves if attacked and they can help you in bigger battles (most boss battles involve teamwork). You don't have to babysit them at all or even deal with them much if you want; they just follow you. Would they be annoying?

No, if the AI of your allies are as good as the allies you team up with during specific quest on PSO(which is sounds like), then they should be great, because those allies would be smart enough to attack, heal, and follow you even if they are engaged in a fight.

I'm also adding a function that lets you get specific skills/items for the AI characters so that they can become fairly cool in their own right.

Then this just add's to it, now they sound KotOR allies, cause you can control how they level up.

I've eliminated the chances of exp theft by letting the player assign all the battle's exp after the battle ends.

Ah. That would be a pretty good gameplay development. It would allow more of the characters to be on an even playing field.

It also forces the player to make good decisions or else babysit the characters they've neglected.

Exactly. The player has to act as if they have an actual brain or something.

OH THE HORROR!!!! THINKING!!!!

I'm not actually putting it together yet. At any rate I don't think Gamemaker's strong enough. Maybe Blender.

But I'd like to actually get it published for Wii- I'll put together a demo and send it to some publishers, see if anyone bites.

(This will take a good long while anyway- I need to finish the character art and script, not to mention maps..)

I'm not actually putting it together yet. At any rate I don't think Gamemaker's strong enough. Maybe Blender.

But I'd like to actually get it published for Wii- I'll put together a demo and send it to some publishers, see if anyone bites.

(This will take a good long while anyway- I need to finish the character art and script, not to mention maps..)

It would be awesome if it got published for WiiWare, definitely possible.

I'd like a game with a disc, but I'll settle for WiiWare.

This does, of course, come after I learn graphics/programming/etc.

Speaking of which, I'm supposed to be learning programming right now... but is givin me a headache.

That suck's I'm taking audio engineering this upcoming year so I have a chance at working in the game industry as a sound artist. It's something I plan on using to fall back on if needed

I've got a programming class at school coming up, but right now I'm trying of my own free will (?) to learn Python.

It's not going great.

I might try that demo disc the class gave me before summer break soon, should help