Job issue [Resolved]

Cain Magnus

I figured since the Serious Discussion forum was for more important and touchy topics, this forum should be correct. That and it's a personal issue.

All right. So I'm having a small problem at my job that can be shaken off my mind quickly, though I'm having trouble deciding on a safe course of action. I know it's strange for me to make a topic like this, but it's just something small that I hope I can get off my chest immediately, as it is interfering with my own daily activities.

I've been working at Dollar General (It's a general store for those who don't live in the US) as a Sales Associate for two weeks, with this current week going on my third. I pretty much only work on freight and the register occasionally. But due to a situation that happened between a rather impatient/short tempered customer that intentionally wanted to get me fired (Though I won't disclose any further information on it, as the way I worded, it should be self-explanatory), I'll be at risk of losing my job itself if I continue to work the register, because I have a 'slight' social disorder that has the potential to get me in serious trouble.

The asst. manager that was on duty at the time stepped in at my request, which he was impressed with me for that choice and keeping my cool with the woman I was dealing with. I've put that whole feud behind me now because people like that aren't worth the headache....though chances are, I'll never see her again anyway. But there is no doubt that in the future, more situations will arise...and I can only handle so much before I actually lose control of my usual cool head with crazy people.

This is where the true issue comes in.

I've had thoughts come across in my mind that can help with those future situations...as well as ways to avoid them completely. I've also done my own online research that turned out a failure...that and the Employee Handbook I have doesn't have a single fact or guideline about angry customers.

I figured that trying to avoid them completely is too much trouble, but considering how the store desperately needs employees (Yes, we have a VERY small staff because it's...well...the dollar store.), I need to get away from the register entirely and just focus on working on freight only. But the problem I'm facing is if that's the best thing to bring up with my Store Manager. I know it's just a groundless and over-exaggerating fear, but any risk losing my job is fatal, as this was the only place to hire me out of two years of hard searching.

I've always dread working at the register anyway. I feel uncomfortable around dealing with customers' money or anything else related to it. It generally isn't my sort of thing to do, nor was it what I was hired for. I specifically stated "Stocking" on my application, but I assumed that when I was hired, there was a logical reason for having me work both. So I don't want my manager thinking I'm some picky person, which my reasons stated could easily be misunderstood for one. If I really have to work at the register, then I have no right to object. If I don't have to, I'll definitely want off.

I have no hesitations on telling my manager things, but I want to make sure that asking her about it won't be an even bigger risk. Is asking my store manager to take me off the register the right thing to do or should I just suck it up and deal with anything that comes at me?

Edited by Magnus Blade

I'd definitely recommend trying to suck it up and get through, but if you're worried or if you're really uncomfortable and think there's a real risk of things going sour, what I'd do is just tell your manager that you're worried you might not deal with customer's properly and that you'd like advice, or that you'd like to be able to do more in freight if it's convenient. Definitely phrase it as a "only if it's not any trouble to you" type of question. That way, if it isn't any trouble you'll probably get your preferred outcome, and if it is too much trouble they probably would have said no or worse anyway, so you get the same net result while coming off as a much better employee.

Is that clear?

Edited by Defeatist Elitist

Yep, got it. Thanks for the understandable and clear answer.

I am worried, but I guess I'll suck it up for now. If I feel even more uncomfortable than I do now as my days on the register go on, I'll definitely explain in the manner in which you spoke. :)

Yep, got it. Thanks for the understandable and clear answer.

I am worried, but I guess I'll suck it up for now. If I feel even more uncomfortable than I do now as my days on the register go on, I'll definitely explain in the manner in which you spoke. :)

Sounds like a good plan. The reason I recommend trying to suck it up at first is because a lot of the time, especially when starting out, there can be a lot of things that you're uncomfortable with, but that it turns out you can still do. You might still end up being uncomfortable with them, but as long as you can do them right it's often worth doing them anyway (unless it's something really dangerous or illegal or something, which this case isn't).

I agree with Defeatist Elitist. :3 Definitely don't let one bad experience make you feel unfit for the position, but talk to your manager if you really feel that your behavior with customers might be reason for future concern. I would give it another week, or at least few more shifts, and allow yourself to rebuild your confidence and attitude. Sometimes you just need a little time to put things into perspective. Also, is the social disorder you mentioned something that you've been diagnosed with? You don't need to tell us the details, but I wanted to add that you might have some leverage with your employer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, most employers have to make at least some effort to accommodate their employees if they have a major/minor, mental/physical debilitation of some kind, and they aren't allowed to terminate your employment unless it severely hinders your ability to work. If you intend to work there long-term and you're really concerned, that might be something to consider.

Well, I haven't been diagnosed because my parents didn't see the need at the time, but I've realized it for quite a while now. I've always been going by with that, because my mom, dad and siblings always told me for a long time that it's very difficult for me to be social on an average level. I've just only recently come to accept it because I've pretty much been in constant denial.

I don't mean to get into all the details, as I won't (Thanks for understanding that smile.gif), but even now, I still have some problems controlling the volume of my voice appropriately or confronting people other than those I absolutely have to speaking to or used to speaking to (Like my parents and my employers), even if it's people I'm familiar with. I could know you for six years and still have a few problems communicating properly. But over the years of growing up some more, I've gotten ten times better than I was before. But even so, since I've never seen a doctor about it, I can't be too sure if something is really wrong with me...

But I didn't mean to switch the topic over to that. Sorry. And thanks, Popo for the info. =) Even though I lack actual proof that I have a disorder, major or minor, it's good to know. Just in case I do have an opportunity to get it checked on, that is.

Edited by Magnus Blade

If in doubt, go see a doctor you're comfortable with. If it really is something wrong with you, then it's best to get a professional diagnosis. They'll know better than your parents/siblings.

I worked at a gas station in a hick town for my uncle for 3/4ths of a year.

Whenever I had a shitty customer, approximately 5x a day, I'd chant in my head a peaceful lullaby "MONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEY" which gave me the incentive to always remain cool, with two exceptions where I told them how I felt about their rudeness in polite witty snappy terms. They were both out of country people though, so I had no repurcussions.

I cannot overstate it, never lose your cool. Think about how much that job means to you, everyday. But also, if possible, don't be spineless either, managers usually respect that, they're human and hate shitty customers just like you. And since this is a freaking dollar store, I doubt you guys ever lack for customers lol.

But I didn't mean to switch the topic over to that. Sorry. And thanks, Popo for the info. =) Even though I lack actual proof that I have a disorder, major or minor, it's good to know. Just in case I do have an opportunity to get it checked on, that is.

If it's sever enough that it might interfere with your ability to work, I would mention it to your doctor next time you go for a visit, or even better, be proactive about it and make an appointment. If you already have issues with expressing yourself to others, it might be scary or difficult to think of doing that, but assuming that you're going to want to work somewhere other than the dollar store eventually, it's better to get on a treatment plan now as opposed to too far down the line when it's too late.

Edited by Popo

I worked at a gas station in a hick town for my uncle for 3/4ths of a year.

Whenever I had a shitty customer, approximately 5x a day, I'd chant in my head a peaceful lullaby "MONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEY" which gave me the incentive to always remain cool, with two exceptions where I told them how I felt about their rudeness in polite witty snappy terms. They were both out of country people though, so I had no repurcussions.

I cannot overstate it, never lose your cool. Think about how much that job means to you, everyday. But also, if possible, don't be spineless either, managers usually respect that, they're human and hate shitty customers just like you. And since this is a freaking dollar store, I doubt you guys ever lack for customers lol.

That's...a VERY interesting way to calm down. XD

If it's sever enough that it might interfere with your ability to work, I would mention it to your doctor next time you go for a visit, or even better, be proactive about it and make an appointment. If you already have issues with expressing yourself to others, it might be scary or difficult to think of doing that, but assuming that you're going to want to work somewhere other than the dollar store eventually, it's better to get on a treatment plan now as opposed to too far down the line when it's too late.

That sounds good. It's shouldn't be too hard though. I haven't been there in a while, but should the opportunity rise (I would go ASAP, but certain things are preventing me at the moment), I'll definitely consult my doctor about it.

As someone who works in retail as a supervisor/MOD, and has for a rather long time, I'm going to try to explain a few things from a retail point-of-view. Nothing I say here may help you and your situation directly, but it may help you to understand things better, and perhaps help you process thing a bit on a more subconscious level.

In retail, especially in a store with low staff, it's very important to have people trained in as many areas as possible. It helps the store make the most out of its payroll, and also ensures that customers are helped as best as possible. This means that people will often be trained in and expected to work in as many areas as they can, to help with the flow. Pretty much everyone is always expected to be able to ring on a register, unless you are specifically only working at times when the store is closed. And even then you still might be trained in it.

When I first started working at Staples, I was a part-timer in their Copy and Print Center. Even though my entire shifts were in that small area of the store, I still had to learn where different items were located in the store, to ring up any kind of purchase, to answer and switchboard phone calls. And I performed all of those functions many times over my first few months, making sure that the most customers were taken care of as efficiently as possible.

Ringing people out sucks. It's probably the least favourite part of my job (aside from phones). But at the same time, it is the most vital action that takes place in any retail store. Retail stores always have to put the customer first, or they don't last long, plain and simple. Because of this, if you work in a retail store during its operating hours, any store, you're going to be expected to ring out customers. Getting a disability on record can theoretically stop an employer from forcing you to ring on a register, but it'll also severely dampen your employment opportunities. Depending on how severe your condition is, and your personal situation (which I know nothing about) you may want to consider (when you are in the market for a new job) looking into an overnight stock position. Overnight stocking ensures that you won't be dealing with many/any customers (depending on whether or not the store you work for is 24-hour). The pay is also higher, so there you go. Of course, working overnight is its own can of worms, of course. I just wanted to present the option to you in case you hadn't thought of it.

Anyway, part 2: ANGRY CUSTOMERS.

There are 2 main reasons why almost no employee handbook will specifically tell you how to deal with angry customers*. They are the following:

1) No angry customer is ever the same

2) No employee handles angry customers the same

Ergo, every angry customer situation is entirely different, and there's no "catch all" solution that will fix the problem. I can, however, offer some pointers that may be useful.

Keeping with the rule of two, there are 2 important phrases to keep in mind when dealing with angry customers. Chances are, in most situations, you'll be able to use one or both.

1) "I'm sorry/I apologize (for your inconvenience)"

2) "What would you like me to do for you?"

1 is important because it's a decent diffuser. You'd be surprised how often angry customers just want to feel better about themselves, and apologizing is a good step forward. It shows that you are making steps forward to improve the situation, and you acknowledge that you or the store may be in error (even if it isn't true).

2 is important because it focuses the situation. Read those words again carefully. Angry customers can rant and rave about anything and everything, but the whole reason you are there is, presumably, because the customer wants you to do something for them. What is it? Figuring out exactly what you personally can do to help a customer is a great to move forward with the conversation. Sometimes customers will present you with a solution that you can actually do, calling up another store to check stock, or doing an item return, etc. Sometimes customers will make unreasonable demands "I want this entire endcap for free!" This leads us to....

3) "Let's go talk to my manager, and see if we can get this worked out."

This should be used sparingly, because it's important to try and solve situations yourself as best as you can. It gives you better knowledge and skills, and also impresses your worth upon the customer. However, there are going to be situations that you can't solve yourself, and you should never be afraid to get help from a supervisor or member of management when needed. An important, but often overlooked, part of that sentence is the "Let's," which implies that you and the customer will be going to talk to your manager together. You should never just toss a customer at a manager and then leave. You may be useful in helping the manager to understand the situation, and you may still be helpful in providing the solution to the customer. Also, in paying attention to how your manager handles the situation will give you more knowledge and experience to help you better deal with difficult customers in the future.

@Kirie: Ahh, I see. It did help me understand some things better, so thanks a lot.

Getting a disability on record can theoretically stop an employer from forcing you to ring on a register, but it'll also severely dampen your employment opportunities. Depending on how severe your condition is, and your personal situation (which I know nothing about) you may want to consider (when you are in the market for a new job) looking into an overnight stock position. Overnight stocking ensures that you won't be dealing with many/any customers (depending on whether or not the store you work for is 24-hour). The pay is also higher, so there you go. Of course, working overnight is its own can of worms, of course. I just wanted to present the option to you in case you hadn't thought of it.

Our store closes at 9 AM, so there aren't any overnight stockers. But I'll just have to endure it all.

• 4 weeks later...

It isn't important, but a little update here:

So now it's officially been a month since I've been working there. Register stress has died down DRASTICALLY. I'm still generally uncomfortable with it, but not everyone likes their job. I still have the occasional "complicated" people, but that was shrugged off the moment I stepped behind the register on the first day. You're not really supposed to take customer disputes personal anyway. But besides that, I found out some interesting things during the duration of my time working there...

Now, my manager told me that when I was first hired, I would 'rarely' work the cash register. But for some reason, I've been working it every day all of a sudden. But as time went by, I just said to myself "screw it". If I'm doing fine now, then no need to worry about what I'm doing in the first place. But then the other day, one of my co-workers (Asst. Manager) came up and had a conversation with me on my break...but she basically talked to me about if I was wondering why I'm working the register A LOT instead of what I was really hired for. Me, who had nothing to say in response at the time, just allowed her to keep talking. But she said that they put me on it every day I work mainly because they don't want to do it and they were waiting for someone to pin it on.

My reaction: Just shrugged it off and just laughed as the convo went on and ended.

[spoiler=My inside reaction]ANNOYED.jpg

FUUUUUUUUUU--!!

Hahaha, more seriously though, it was actually quite the motivation to just chill and just keep doing what I'm doing to better myself at the job. It makes me feel a lot better about my job because it showed me that I can do way better than my fellow employees when it comes to tasks they loathe. Even the manager. They actually aren't supposed to hand over other employees tasks/jobs that they themselves were specifically assigned to. But since I'm nothing but a simple Sales Associate, not much I can do but just go with the flow. So, this is pretty much a solved issue.

A big thanks goes out to everyone who gave me advice. It was a great help. cool.gif