New Support System

Onmi

I'm liking the grid pick and choose system. The S double bonus seem a bit much though and I wouldn't complain if S ranks were locked while the others were unlocked. A "military commander" would keep things flexible, not rigidly force units together "forevar."

As for support gain, I'd rather have it by maps deployed together on and not how many times they fondled each other on the battlefield while no one was looking.

True enough the + of having it by 'Chapters Deployed' is that you can tie it into the going ons of the story. The - of that system is being limited by getting to a certain amount of deployment, see IkexTitania for "Well it's the end game, here's your A support"

It doesn't make sense to me to limit the number of support conversations a unit can participate in, because it's just friends/acquaintances talking. I'm ok with the corresponding bonuses being limited the way they are now, and I understand how it makes sense for me, as a commander, to pick and choose which of those bonuses are put to use in battle, but I don't see why it makes sense to limit my soldiers' interactions with each other in general. Unless it changes the outcome of the game, like a support ending does, I'd like to at least be able to see all the conversations in one playthrough. I like the pick/choose concept.

Edited by Rehab

It doesn't make sense to me to limit the number of support conversations a unit can participate in, because it's just friends/acquaintances talking. I'm ok with the corresponding bonuses being limited the way they are now, and I understand how it makes sense for me, as a commander, to pick and choose which of those bonuses are put to use in battle, but I don't see why it makes sense to limit my soldiers' interactions with each other in general. Unless it changes the outcome of the game, like a support ending does, I'd like to at least be able to see all the conversations in one playthrough. I like the pick/choose concept.

You have a point. Now that the recent FE games have done away with the limits, it's hard to see why there would have been a need in the first place.

But like you said, no limits means no endings, and I like endings. Plus, looking at FE13, A supports get you kids and stuff, so there will almost certainly be limits there.

I personally like FE9's support system. It doesn't force you to stick the units directly beside each other, and also prevents sitting around waiting for supports to build like you could in the GBA games. I don't know if FE10 tells you the support bonuses even before you make the support, but FE9 does, at least, tell you them afterwards. And in any case, adding that in isn't really a change to the system as a whole.

I don't think it's clear that FE13's system with children and presumably character endings is so simple as being a feature of a support level. Rather, it appears to me that once characters have reached their maximum support level, they can then trigger events and stuff for the children and endings and all that, being beyond the regular support levels rather than being part of them.

As an example, Sumia and Cynthia display automatic bonuses to four stats (Hit/Avo/Crit/CEV), which seems to be the equivalent of an A support level. We've also seen the A level bonuses at other points, and I don't think it's always been male/female pairs to even indicate the possibility of it involving kids.

This all said, I could never support a system as bizarre as having bonuses be modified by an on/off switch. Character relationships do not work that way.

the support system I want is a combination of the current support systems...

1) FE9's way of building supports (by deployment instead of turns adjacent).

2) FE10's system of "support anyone", except certain supports give special convos. For example, Ike x Soren is a special support convo, while Ike x some random person is a generci convo.

3) The GBA's support bonus system, with att/crit/hit/avo/def/criteva and each affinity giving 4.

Edited by IMPrime

I liked FE12's the best. Characters had supports but they also had base conversations with a lot of the units they supported or were supported by. There were some exceptions like Ogma and Navarre but I think it worked well. There wasn't a cap on how many base conversations a unit could engage in.

This meant there were no paired endings though.

But like you said, no limits means no endings, and I like endings. Plus, looking at FE13, A supports get you kids and stuff, so there will almost certainly be limits there.

I personally like FE9's support system. It doesn't force you to stick the units directly beside each other, and also prevents sitting around waiting for supports to build like you could in the GBA games. I don't know if FE10 tells you the support bonuses even before you make the support, but FE9 does, at least, tell you them afterwards. And in any case, adding that in isn't really a change to the system as a whole.

That's what a special 'S' Rank is for is for, though in Hindsight I agree with Laureola that getting double the affinities regular bonus is a bit too OP.

Besides it means we can have things like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=u72qXnA2Idk#t=254s

Nuke your enemies with the power of love today