My sprite thread

RCrisis

I've just gotten into splicing so soul crushing critiques would be very helpful to help steer me in the right direction!

pegasusknightyellowfinal2-1.png

Elliespritefinal1.png

redswordmasterfinal4.png

judaspritefinal.png

badguyredfinal1.png

These are the sprites I've made so far for my up and coming hack. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

So the first one, the shading and all looks fine to me (but i am not really that great of a spriter so don't quote me on that)

you should stick to FE8 colors or FE6/7 colors, because they clash together.

The second one there is some jumble in the hair styles splicing so you should smoothen that out. Im gonna guess you customed the spikes and the rest of the left should OPV because it looks a little flat and has no shading

The shading on the clothes of the Marissa splice looks a bit weird. You have a dark green mixed with black. The hair is a little to short for the head so it looks like she has a tiny skull.

The fourth one has the same head-hair size ration issue

The last one is probably the best, but the border is a little to dark for the rest of the colors

So the first one, the shading and all looks fine to me (but i am not really that great of a spriter so don't quote me on that)

you should stick to FE8 colors or FE6/7 colors, because they clash together.

The second one there is some jumble in the hair styles splicing so you should smoothen that out. Im gonna guess you customed the spikes and the rest of the left should OPV because it looks a little flat and has no shading

The shading on the clothes of the Marissa splice looks a bit weird. You have a dark green mixed with black. The hair is a little to short for the head so it looks like she has a tiny skull.

The fourth one has the same head-hair size ration issue

The last one is probably the best, but the border is a little to dark for the rest of the colors

Ekhidna's stance is strange to start out with, so using that as a base might not be the best idea, but that's only my opinion.

1. Alright I'll be sure to keep 6/7's and 8's colors separate

2. I'll work on the hair and left side of the sprite

3&4. I'll work on the head size

5. I'll work on a lighter border color!

6. If I find that I can't work well with Echidnas face I'll just drop it.

7. What's AA?

Thank you very much for the comments!

They're not bad splices. There's a little mess where the splices came together. While I don't recommend custom work, you can at the least reference other sprites with similar shading on how to make it consistent.

And, as everyone said, colors.

Nonetheless, for a beginner, they aren't bad, and you show ambition. Keep it up!

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25963

Check ^^ for some tutorials. Maklo wrote a great one on splicing.

Edited by Octavian

They're not bad splices. There's a little mess where the splices came together. While I don't recommend custom work, you can at the least reference other sprites with similar shading on how to make it consistent.

And, as everyone said, colors.

Nonetheless, for a beginner, they aren't bad, and you show ambition. Keep it up!

http://serenesforest...showtopic=25963

Check ^^ for some tutorials. Maklo wrote a great one on splicing.

Thanks! I'll definitely keep trying to improve!

#2elliespriteredofinal1-1.png

I just decided to redo the entire character due to how the first one came out.

#3 redswordmasterfinal6.png

Trying to rework that one due to the head size pointed out, is it going in the right direction?

#4 http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww48/RCrisis/judaspritefinal.png

I really don't know what to do different with this character, more hair? more forehead?

#5 http://i704.photobuc...redfinal1-1.png

Just cleaned up the outline.

Comments are very welcome!

Edited by RCrisis

Number two has more angles than a dodecagon.

Pillow up number three's shirt anymore and I'll fall asleep.

Number four is bald on the far side and her hair is matted onto her skull.

Number five's arm is about to slide off at any second.

Angles being? The hair? Armor? Face? Everything?

Pillow up? Bad color choice? Incorrect shading?

I'll work on it!

Do you mean his right arm? Is the fur too distracting?

I appreciate the comments but, I'm confused as to what you mean exactly.

incorrect shading for pillow up. Look up "pillow shading" on Google.

For the right arm his arm just looks really awkward. It looks like the fur is the only thing keeping it up, and doesn't line up with the rest of him properly.

For the angles I think just cause there are a lot of straight lines randomly, which don't occur often in one's anatomy.

1. Alright I'll be sure to keep 6/7's and 8's colors separate

2. I'll work on the hair and left side of the sprite

3&4. I'll work on the head size

5. I'll work on a lighter border color!

6. If I find that I can't work well with Echidnas face I'll just drop it.

7. What's AA?

Thank you very much for the comments!

By stance I meant battle sprite, my bad. The face is fairly good.

Pillow Shading happens when you basically shade from the outer edges to the center, going darkest to lightest. It provides no depth and makes the shading look messy. To shade a shirt properly, reference the male fighters.

Ekhidna's stance is strange to start out with, so using that as a base might not be the best idea, but that's only my opinion.

It's not really a base if it's just a recolor.

Edited by deranger

Angles being? The hair? Armor? Face? Everything?

Blocky chunks of crap everywhere

Pillow up? Bad color choice? Incorrect shading?

Pillow-shading refers to a method of ambient shading that provides an embossed look, but indicates no direct light source whatsoever otherwise. Laymen's terms: It makes it look like a puffy pillow; it's not shading, it's just fluffing up.

Edited by mechanicalWALTZ

I'd love to help you with shading, but I'm horrid at it. What I can say is the last chick's hair and armor clash badly, in terms of color.

+1 i like the way you 'Spriting' anyways, how long have you been 'SPRITING'

I'm so jealous with you i can't sprite but i have lots of IDEA. i don't know how to start spriting even shading.

Great if you could Teach me. :3

I just search in google for 'spriting' area and then i found this THREAD i just RUSH in Register here to just say cool sprite.

But in our community we use Gravity Color which is for Ragnarok Online.

Elysium / rA Board

Edited by Elysium

Woman seems like she need more shading under her hair.

Alright, the sprite shading is already fixed for her, thanks!

+1 i like the way you 'Spriting' anyways, how long have you been 'SPRITING'

I'm so jealous with you i can't sprite but i have lots of IDEA. i don't know how to start spriting even shading.

Great if you could Teach me. :3

I just search in google for 'spriting' area and then i found this THREAD i just RUSH in Register here to just say cool sprite.

But in our community we use Gravity Color which is for Ragnarok Online.

Elysium / rA Board

They're just simple cut and dry splices, you'd do better PMing someone with extensive sprite work.

islandmap1.png

First map, I was trying to make a chapter 1 type map, but it just somehow grew and shifted into this. I'll probably fit it in sometime midway through my hack.

Comments are welcome and appreciated, as always!

grass tile spam. Utilize the multiple grass tiles you are provided. Same with Ocean tiles. The far left and southern forest tiles are cut off, as they are intended to be bordered by other forest tiles. The northern forests are checkerboarded on the right. Basically, landscapes are random, so your map should be. Other than that, pretty a pretty solid first map, though I'm curious as to how you intend to incorporate the islands.

Edited by deranger

grass tile spam. Utilize the multiple grass tiles you are provided. Same with Ocean tiles. The far left and southern forest tiles are cut off, as they are intended to be bordered by other forest tiles. The northern forests are checkerboarded on the right. Basically, landscapes are random, so your map should be. Other than that, pretty a pretty solid first map, though I'm curious as to how you intend to incorporate the islands.

Thanks!

islandmapscrn.jpg

Hopefully I fixed the errors, if not please let me know.

chapter1scrn.jpg

This is what I hope to be the chapter one map.

cyanarcher.png

browngeneral1.png

brownpaladin1.png

(Farina's eyes look eerily similar to Amelia's)

Three more sprites as well.

Comments and criticism are always welcome!