Editing Current maps

Elgray

Hey there!

I'm new to this forum but I used to hang around on FEU/SOS a while back. Anyway, the place is kind of dead right now, so I was advised to ask hacking questions here.

I'm having my first pass at map editing using Mappy working on the maps from FE6. My goal is to expand all of the existing maps, adding new areas. I used BwdYeti's mappy converter and the map images from the FE6 area of this site to create replicas of the maps, ripe for editing.

Even though this is my first time at editing maps, I'm confident I can figure it out by following the tutorials. However, the one I was reading says that you need to either:

A) Have an event reference module for nightmare in order to assign the maps or...

B) know the reference offsets in order to edit the map into the game in hex.

I can't seem to find any event module for FE6, nor do I know the offset for the chapters. Could anyone help me out here? Also, do I really need to add new reference pointers? Is there any way I could get the new maps to, I don't know, OVERWRITE the old ones in some way? After all, they're the same maps, only slightly altered.

Depends on what you mean by "slightly altered". You could, in theory, find the offset that the original maps are written to, but that's an extremely dangerous venture (as the maps are compressed and AFAIK the current inserters don't compress the same way which can lead to size issues as explained later); if your map is even two bytes too big (aka one tile) and you can fuck up literally everything else after it. FE6 has a metric fuckton of free space anyway (I think? It's not my strong suit but I vaguely remember there being even more free space than FE7 - and if that's really an issue you can just write to the end of the ROM)

also the event references are in the "chapter data editor" folder. if you can't find it go into arch's tutorial (for events), I think he has a list of offsets. I don't know if he has the base table offset, though, so it might be useless.

FE6 has a metric fuckton of free space anyway (I think? It's not my strong suit but I vaguely remember there being even more free space than FE7 - and if that's really an issue you can just write to the end of the ROM)

Not to mention, one can pad the ROM up to 32MB, effectively giving 16MB of free space to use. Allocation of resources, in terms of where data is stored, won't be a big problem.

So, since there is so much free space in the rom, my best bet would be to simply insert the maps as new custom maps and use the Event Reference module (which I just found) to change the offsets to the new maps, expanding the rom as needed. All right. Got it. Thanks.

FE6 is 8MB before English patching.

16MB after. I doubt the entire translation took up that 8MB... so I think that's a lot of space for new maps.

Basically, only way you're gonna get "editing" existing maps are to recreate them yourself, or use BwdYeti's Image to Mappy Converter and then edit the Mappy file generated.