Gryphon Knights

Andreyas

So Dragon Knights will be able to go Dragon Master or Gryphon Knights. I have to say I like this concept of another flying class. I wonder what kind of cool skills it'll have? What about weapons? Could it be an Axe, Sword user or maybe just a plain old Axe user?

What are your thoughts?

Well by the looks of it they have axes seeing as it is the initial weapon of the wyvern riders so i guess the other physical weapon types will be distributed among them and wyvern lords i think they'll get swords but it's too early to tell.

So far, split promotions have often been having substantial differences, like picking up magic or staffs, or a physical weapon for a magic user. So while we might see this,

Dragon Knight (lance) --> Dragon Master (lance/axe) / Griffin Knight (sword/axe)

it seems like a rather trivial difference. On the other hand, I don't have any better ideas. So chances are, they will do this, but differentiate the classes more in other ways. The different mounts give them excuses to have different weaknesses, and substantially different stats and skills. So we'll probably be seeing them differentiated through things along those lines.

I baselessly speculate that Gryphons will have a higher move, while Dragon Masters will have higher DEF

It's a definite possibility, if Dragon Masters stay at 7 Move for extra abilities.

Sounds kinda like Paladin vs. Great Knight, although I don't think Dragon Masters will get the whole triangle.

So far, split promotions have often been having substantial differences, like picking up magic or staffs, or a physical weapon for a magic user. So while we might see this,

Dragon Knight (lance) --> Dragon Master (lance/axe) / Griffin Knight (sword/axe)

it seems like a rather trivial difference. On the other hand, I don't have any better ideas. So chances are, they will do this, but differentiate the classes more in other ways. The different mounts give them excuses to have different weaknesses, and substantially different stats and skills. So we'll probably be seeing them differentiated through things along those lines.

Dragon Master is definitely confirmed for Axe (seen here: http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=173738 2:50 in) do we have any info on whether or not Dragon Knight is Lance or Axe yet?

Furthermore, don't forget that in addition to the possible Dragon = thunder weakness and Gryphon = wind weakness, there's also skills to consider. Classes get different skills as they level up.

Hot Start - Hit and Avoid +15 at the start of the chapter. Effect decreases with each passing Turn - Dragonmaster

Sword Slayer - Hit and Avoid +50 when the enemy is equipped with a sword - Dragonmaster

It's quite likely Gryphon Knight may not have access to these, or other skills, while having access to different once, for example.

Edited by ZephyrShakuraus

I did mention skills.

We've seen some dragon-riding character that didn't look as fancy using an axe, from what I remember. So it sounds like they do start with axes, as I'd expect - they made that change in FE10, the last time they had the choice, and it makes sense, to make the flying classes not overly similar.

Edited by Othin

Perhaps Griffin Knights will also have the Pegasus' weakness of arrows? I don't think it's too far fetched seeing how most unit types in the series with feathery wings do not like arrows.

I imagine them being the fastest of the flyers. Like the rest of you, I have absolutely nothing to base this assumption off of. Othin is probably right with the sword/axe combination for their weapons. We'll have to see what other abilities they have when more information is released

Chances are, dragons will still be arrow-weak, like every game other than FE10. Them not being arrow-weak was a bit much. Hmm...

Pegasi - arrows, wind magic, horseslayers

Dragons - arrows, thunder magic, wyrmslayers

Griffins - arrows, fire magic, beastkillers

Perhaps something to this effect?

Seems about right Othin. I forgot Beast Killer was a weapon in this game. Let's hope that things work better from this time around and we have a reason to utilize these weaknesses more often.

I'm not sure if I want to see two flying magic classes. One seems unique enough and adding two would detract from that me thinks. That's not to say it would entirely ruin Dark Pegasus, just make it a lot less unique.

I've actually had the theory that Gryphon Knights might be able to use bows, considering that Dark Pegasus Knights can use magic it shouldn't be to far fetched that they could use their other weakness as well.

I'm not sure if I want to see two flying magic classes. One seems unique enough and adding two would detract from that me thinks. That's not to say it would entirely ruin Dark Pegasus, just make it a lot less unique.

Agreed completely.

I've actually had the theory that Gryphon Knights might be able to use bows, considering that Dark Pegasus Knights can use magic it shouldn't be to far fetched that they could use their other weakness as well.

That was my thought when the class was first announced, but with Dracoknights using axes primarily, that would wind up just turning them into flying Warriors. Of course, the alternative pretty much entails turning them into flying Heroes...

Anything mattering is dependent on enemies being threatening enough. The game promises a Lunatic mode, and based on what we've seen from such modes recently, it should deliver on that promise.

EDIT: oh wait, there IS falcoknight class. For some reason I assumed pegasus riders could promote into Gryphons, guess who was wrong BAH

Yeah, Griffin Knights are a Dracoknight promotion.

Pegasus Knight (lance) --> Falcon Knight (lance/staff) / Dark Pegasus (lance/tome)

Dracoknight (axe) --> Dragonmaster (lance/axe?) / Griffin Knight (sword/axe?)

Edited by Othin

We can't know for sure, but I don't think so.

actually we kinda do since the gryphons are a promotion choice for dracoknights, also it would be incredibly redundant to have a third 1st tier flying class

Edited by Velth