Can Sorakh28 sprite?

SPSEliwoodGabriel

Er, yeah, I thought I'll show you guys my old attempts to spriting. They were planned to be in my little pet hack project for FE7, but... I'm having second thoughts.

sorakhsheet.png

My very first attempt to a custom-ish sprite, this is Lady Sora Del Frate, an Etrurian Cleric and one of the heiress of House Del Frate. She's supposed to replace Serra.

newsoraforfess.png

The second version of Lady Sora and closer to my image of her.

megame.gif

Yeah, I'm putting myself in the hack, as Canas' replacement. Lady Mellie Del Frate is actually older than Sora by a few years, but looks younger than her sisters. (Note- I don't have any sisters in real life) This is me trying to edit the hell outta her. I'm planing on modifying this sprite even further to get closer to my looks.

Eriwod.gif

And this is my attempt on making an albino archsage!Eliwood. I do feel like I failed at the attempt, but I'm not giving up- I have new ideas for him!

So, uh, how do they look? Any suggestions for future sprites?

Alright, so! I have a sprite modification in progress I'd like you guys to critique.

mefess.png

So, is it okay? Does the necklace look awkward? (My guess is that it is.) What would you suggest for this sprite to look better? Also, I'm looking for ideas on how to modify the hair, any suggestions?

Thanks ahead!

http://gyazo.com/faf7c6ddb0a6d83d60aee79deb12ef71

Red: Random bits of skin color in the clothes.

Green: Bad under-chin shading. There's too much of the 4th skin shade.

Also, you have a lot of awkward skin tones all over. I think you have too many. Make sure you're using five.

The neck is a bit too long and skinny. Lower the head a pixel or two and widen the neck a pixel or two.

The necklace looks good, but it's off-angle with the head and body.

mefess-1.png

I think I got the clothes problem done, and some none-matching shading issues, maybe... I couldn't exactly figure out the neck problem, but I had an inkling that it was that gaudy necklace with that awkward stance that didn't work. I thought maybe this might work, unless someone has better necklaces ideas.

And I still don't know what to do with the under-chin shadow now that I modified the necklace..

Reference other chin shading. The fourth shade should just be where the head meets the neck and a few other pixels going south. The second shade should be the most prevalent shade.

Before I go on that sprite again, I just want to show you my current work on Mellie 2.0. It's nowhere close in being done- in fact, I don't have any coloring job done. If it looks shoddy, it's supposed to be- this is merely me brainstorming and isn't even close to even, say, 30% of what I'd like to be the final image?

mellie2point0work.png

The image is big on purpose. Also, if someone can suggest on something to change the top- not the sleeves, the sleeves intend to stay- and the necklace, please tell me in advance, and yes, I know about the unused bangs peeking out of the forehead. I just want to make sure the ears and everything else looks good before I continue with the job. (Also, you can guess which characters I'm currently using to make Mellie 2.0). Also, tips for the hair- should I modify the white part by coloring it, or by copy-pasting parts of the hair and lining it up with her cheeks?

So yeah, I'm not asking for coloring or anything like that- I just want to know if, by far, it looks right position-wise.

mellie2point0work-1.png

Revision two, with actual, proper colors... The things I can see that I've got wrong-

1- The left ear has two earlobes. I do intend to cover the second one with an earring.

2- I have no idea with the right ear. Either I find a way to hid it, or I take the right ear of someone.

3- Are her eyebrows visible enough? The bandanna's hiding them, I think.

4- I see lots of technicality problems with her hair shading... that spot right far from the left ear, that I noticed the most. If anyone can please give me pointers on how to fix that, it would be AWESOME.

5- Also you can help with the empty faces/awkward shading on her face, please.

6- Tips on making her clothes not look like a direct rip of Lalum's? I do love the sleeves, but changing her top would be great... and I wonder about her necklace, too. Should I modify so they look more like strings of pearls for diversity?

Edited by SPSEliwoodGabriel

I don't have time to actually look at it in depth or make suggestions on the other stuff atm (I may edit some in tomorrow) but I like the new hair color a lot better than the old one XD

1- reference any Sacaen for earings.

4- the head band should cast some shadow directly below it. (a little bit of the darker skin tone, don't spam light skin tone. Again, references are your friend)

And the little big of light brown hair right next to her right eye (left from OPV) seems out of place.

mellie2point0work-2.png

Update 3 of Mellie 2.0... She's actually looking great. I share your sentiment, Jubby- this hair color is much more beautiful. Would you believe me if I took it from a random village's sprite? It's also much more accurate to my actual hair color. Also, for those curious, I used prototype!Lute's hair for her.

I know there's still errors around, and I'm still conflicted with that necklace (I'm seriously considering changing them to pearls or making a big choker), but overall, I'm loving this look more than 1.0. She seems to look a little more mature than 1.0 while still looking rather young. And yes, she's the brightest shaman walking around Elibe. (I am, in fact, thinking of making a custom shaman sprite sheet just for her. Or at least the design.)

But again, all critiques accepted!

http://gyazo.com/afb66fb89eca2aca3e4c926af7887f69

Light Blue: I think the old hair's still popping up a little bit, that, or you accidentally used the Outline here. You can maybe blend the two together, or get rid of the outer hair in general.

Green: Needs more shading where the headband meets the skin. I also caught an extra skin tone popping up near the eyebrow.

Gold: Awkward square-thing of hair there. I know that's from splicing but you can afford to clean that up.

Purple: You don't need that much outline in the hair. Outline the head and then fill the rest with the darkest hair shade.

Overall it looks better, although the angle is bugging me a little. There's some body shading that could be improved but I'll leave it to someone else to critique that.

mellie2point0work-3.png

Modification 4. Starting to look good, but it looks like I kinda goofed off with certain places... fixable, thought. Again, critiques are helpful, so go ahead. I'm gonna start working on other sprites as well, so sooner or later I'll post them as well to see what you guys will think about it.

• 4 months later...