Double Bonuses

Othin

This is something that's been confusing me for a while, but after reading some stuff over, I'm getting the idea that Double bonuses are determined by class base stats. Erm. See below for issues with this.

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/img/150312C.jpg

In this screenshot, Sumia and Callum team up, getting a variety of bonuses. Sumia's +2 Spd and Callum's +2 Def appear to be from their skills and not consequential here. So then, what causes the other bonuses? They appear to be closing the difference between the two characters' stats, up to a total of 8 points of bonuses. But the way they go about it is odd. Sumia's Skl and Spd are equal, but Callum's Spd gets so much of a bonus as to be more than his Skl.

On the other hand, if this is determined by class base stats, it makes more sense.

Knight

Str: 8

Mag: 0

Skl: 4

Spd: 1

Def: 11

Res: 0

Pegasus Knight

Str: 4

Mag: 3

Skl: 7

Spd: 8

Def: 4

Res: 6

Ignoring HP since it doesn't appear to be affected and I don't know base HP for anything anyway because it never shows up on those wheels.

Let's start with Sumia's bonuses to Callum: +1 Skl, +4 Spd, and +3 Res. Now, if we look at the positive gains from Knight --> Pegasus Knight, we get +3 Skl, +7 Spd, and +6 Res. It looks like the game was trying to close the gap, but fell short because it could only add a total of 8 points. However, if we look, each of the gains fell short of the total possible gains by 3 points. This indicates that the game was giving a priority of fixing the biggest differences first, with the large bonuses to Spd and Res. Then once the bonuses were all equally far at 3 points from the possible total gains, the game had one extra point remaining, so it tossed that point into Skl. Maybe because Skl is the earliest stat on the list?

Now let's look at Callum's bonuses to Sumia: +3 Str and +5 Def. Same total of 8 points. This does not appear to be the universal total for Double bonuses, but I think the total is determined by support level - so for their support level, the bonus is 8 points total. Meanwhile, the positive gains from Pegasus Knight --> Knight are +4 Str and +7 Def. Again, it looks like the game tried to first close the Def gap (+3 Def), then once the gaps were equal, it tried to distribute the remaining bonuses evenly (+3 Str, +2 Def). The game couldn't distribute them completely evenly, so again, it looks like it gave priority to the stat that shows up earlier on the list.

I'm going to check other instances of Double bonuses to get more information when comparing things and see if I can confirm this, but it seems to fit so far. In the meantime, thoughts on the accuracy of my conclusions so far and of implications of having it set up like this? It does seem like it means lower-tier units won't offer much of a bonus if any when using the command to hide behind a higher-tier unit to train.

---

Edit: Looks like I didn't even notice the other example lower on the page, with Frederick and Liz.

Great Knight

Str: 11

Mag: 0

Skl: 6

Spd: 5

Def: 14

Res: 1

Cleric

Str: 0

Mag: 3

Skl: 3

Spd: 4

Def: 1

Res: 6

Frederick gets +2 Mag, +3 Luck, and +2 Res. This only adds up to a total of +7, and it doesn't seem to line up with the patterns I was observing at all, especially because classes don't have a Luck base. So wtf?

I guess we can use this to work out more plausible possibilities, then, if anyone other than me cares.

Edited by Othin

I think the characters stats might be a limiter as well. Sumia's defense bonus of 5 and Strength bonus of 3 leave her with 12 DEF and 10 STR which is exactly the same as Cullums stats.

Also when I was figuring out the avoid formula I remember seeing Liz having 10 luck in a video. Which is what Frederick's luck is at after the double bonus.

Edited by arvilino

I figured it'd be a combination of class base stats and the level of supports with both characters. I'm typically not one to figure out the formula's, but I assumed it worked some what like this.

I think the characters stats might be a limiter as well. Sumia's defense bonus of 5 and Strength bonus of 3 leave her with 12 DEF and 10 STR which is exactly the same as Cullums stats.

Also when I was figuring out the avoid formula I remember seeing Liz having 10 luck in a video. Which is what Frederick's luck is at after the double bonus.

I noticed Sumia gaining Callum's stats, but it doesn't explain why the points Callum gained from Sumia are distributed the way they are.

Max char bonuses: +4 Mag, +6 Skl, +8 Spd, +5 Luck, +5 Res

Max class bonuses: +3 Mag, +3 Skl, +7 Spd, +0 Luck, +6 Res

Actual bonuses: +0 Mag, +1 Skl, +4 Spd, +0 Luck, +3 Res

Character bonuses seem to fit the best, but that doesn't explain why Callum gains +3 Res before gaining even a single point of Luck when the differences are the same, and why Callum's Res falls just 2 short of the possible maximum when all the other stats fall 4-5 short.

On the other hand, it would explain Frederick's low Res gain. Cleric has a base Res of 6 to Great Knight's 1, but Liz's base Res is below her class base, at just 4. She appears to be at LV4-5 since her HP is 20 as opposed to her base of 17 (she has 8 HP remaining after being hit for 12), so perhaps she gained a point and wound up at 5. Frederick's Res is being boosted from 3 to 5, so this part fits.

The part that doesn't fit, then, is Mag. Liz's base Mag is 5, while Frederick's Mag in that scene is 2, but he only gets +2. So something may be keeping him from getting the full bonus. Maybe he just has a lower support level, so he caps at 7? Doesn't sound like much of a change when other characters can get bonuses totaling 10 and probably more.