I'm going to try Thracia

DarthMikey

Can anybody tell me what to expect, and/or what to do and who to use? I really don't know that much about the game, and I feel like I can only wean so much from the site's page on it. I know it's quite difficult, and from the looks of it a unit with good stats is barely even a thing in this game. Basically, I'm an intimidated wimpface and unsure of what to do. Advice?

Well, if you want, you can read Crash's topic, where he begs every last bit of information about the game he possibly can, without ever playing it even once. I however think it's much more satisfying if you play it once, and when you get stuck, ask for help. Besides, you'll probably get stuck in the early chapters anyway, thanks to the dreaded... jail chapters... ohgodsaveusall. So if you get stuck, just pop in and ask for help :D

Can anybody tell me what to expect, and/or what to do and who to use? I really don't know that much about the game, and I feel like I can only wean so much from the site's page on it. I know it's quite difficult, and from the looks of it a unit with good stats is barely even a thing in this game. Basically, I'm an intimidated wimpface and unsure of what to do. Advice?

Which games in the series have you already played? For me, FE5 is the one that feels the most unfinished. The foundation of the game exists, and everything is playable, but there seems to be a certain lack of finality in it--probably due to how the game first came out. I only mention this because if you've played most of the most recent games, you'll probably notice this "funny feeling." Don't attribute it as being hard, just see it as factors of the game that aren't exactly well-polished.

Along those lines, just be willing to accept the game on its terms, rather than by your previous experiences, and most of the "problems" will disappear. The difficulty isn't really difficult, but something are unexpected, and most of them, sort of sudden. You'll be jolted more often by enemy units, and that jolt is where most of the difficulty originates, moreso than in the actual difficulty (kinda like a Langrisser game).

I don't know, I think the game as such is pretty hard too. What with all those hit rates, especially if you try to steal an enemy's weapon.

What really pisses me off about it is all that Danc and Swap and whatnot.

Use savestates until you're comfortable not using savestates. Run into something of an impasse in Chapter 6 or 7 and restart the game. Go up to victory.

No big deal, man. The worst part is the first couple chapters and just do them and see how it all shakes out.

My main hint is: look at what each scroll does and try to put them in someone who needs them (or pile them all on Leaf and hope he will stop sucking soon). Also, promote whenever you feel like (even level 10 is ok) since all stats cap at 20 anyways. And know that there is a system called "fatigue" so either have some back up party members and use your S drinks wisely. Warp and rewarp staffs will also be your friends in the later chapters, so keep that in mind.

But after everyone gets some levels in them the game stops being super difficult and is just annoying with things like Xavier's recruitment and chapter 24X.

You are so EFFed...

Ahem. Sorry. Don't overuse any one unit because then they'll vanish from the next mission, use Leaf even though he sucks, and check every god-damn enemy mage for Bolting.

Bolting is a son of a BITCH in this game.

I also haven't played Thracia and am about to start it soon. What Shadow Dragon difficulty do you think it compares too? I'm thinking of using elite mode, but I don't want to make the game too easy. Also, I like to use characters I like more, not necessarily the best. But are there any characters that are just way too good I shouldn't miss out on them?

Just use whoever. There's the super good characters, yes, but you don't /need/ them. I didn't have the luxury of Dagda, Othin, Asvel, and Sety on my girls only run and my only complaint was fatigue a few chapters after Munster Escape (due to most girls having cruddy HP), and that time before Machua grew a fuckload of bld/promoted for another +2 so I can properly capture non-mage/soldiers indoors. I mean you have scrolls just spam it on your favourite character and profit or something

There's only a few chapters that are difficult. Others are pretty cake 's long as you know what you're doing.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Thracia is Nintendo hard. It throws things at you that you will not expect, and doesn't instruct you properly on how to handle things.

I think you'll get the most fun out of it by carefully getting your ass kicked. What I mean by that is that you make a savestate at least every chapter so you can always revert back, while still being able to dive into the deep without knownig anything. It's really hard to put yourself in an unwinnable position at the start of a map. As someone else said, Crashgordon decided to kind of ruin the whole game for himself by going on and on in a 75 page thread about what to do without actually playing the game.

I don't like giving advice to people before they actually played the game because of that...but if there's one thing I recommend, it's that you should try not to miss any gaiden chapters. It gives you a more full experience of the game, and indeed some very good characters. There's no one you can't afford to miss, just a few that make it so much easier. The requirements are here: http://www.serenesforest.net/fe5/gaiden.html

Ch24x is very very hard, and you don't have a choice on accepting gaidens, so I definitely recommend saving before you grab the Kia Staff so you can revert to it if you find it too difficult.

Sety makes 24x more bearable. Still difficult, though.

It was not fun trying to badly emulate Sety by going Karin+WindSword +Firesword when I couldn't use Sety. :/

Thracia is Nintendo hard. It throws things at you that you will not expect, and doesn't instruct you properly on how to handle things.

I think you'll get the most fun out of it by carefully getting your ass kicked. What I mean by that is that you make a savestate at least every chapter so you can always revert back, while still being able to dive into the deep without knownig anything. It's really hard to put yourself in an unwinnable position at the start of a map. As someone else said, Crashgordon decided to kind of ruin the whole game for himself by going on and on in a 75 page thread about what to do without actually playing the game.

actually i need to agree somewhat with mekkah; the majority of thracia is easy, but there are some chapters that are incredibly difficult if you don't skip them the easy way (chapter 24x is hard to figure out even if you do skip the easy way)

i think there are certain cases where it is possible to get yourself into an unwinnable position, i.e. going to a map with doors when both thieves are fatigued, you have no door keys, and there are no enemies with door keys on the map.

i think there are certain cases where it is possible to get yourself into an unwinnable position, i.e. going to a map with doors when both thieves are fatigued, you have no door keys, and there are no enemies with door keys on the map.

Does this even happen? I thought they made sure there would be some, even if you'd have to capture them.

On an unrelated note, for new players, it's worth keeping in mind that the final chapters are designed with warp spamming in mind.

On an unrelated note, for new players, it's worth keeping in mind that the final chapters are designed with warp spamming in mind.

I don't remember reading a developer note saying that. Or ever abusing warp myself.

The last two chapters were actually incredibly boring, just spilling a team up and walking tiles.

Only times I used warp in 24 was when I need another unit in another room and the trolly unit placement puts my units in the room I don't want to (aka Mareeta not being in central room)

Silence/Sleep all the status/warp/heal dark mages and then mugging them was so much fun

So much staff loot, so glorious

and then you have all of two chapters to use them in

It may be technically possible to get trapped on chapter 11. If your thieves are out of play, and your capture-capable units are either fatigued or...something. Particularly as the ones with the keys often suicide on player units when you don't want them to.

Final is a staffspam anyway why the fuck would you not want to get them plus they use them on you so you stop them from using it on you and use it back on them

it's only a win-win

As someone else said, Crashgordon decided to kind of ruin the whole game for himself by going on and on in a 75 page thread about what to do without actually playing the game.

Guh, I'm really sick of people saying this: I really didn't ruin anything for myself!

I'm onto one of those "get stuck and ask" moments. This isn't a disaster since I have a save-state towards the end of C3, but I'm on C4 and Leaf has lost all his stuff. So... do I get it back, or do I have to kind of distribute it to the others before I seize in C3?

Edited by Cosmic_Harold