What's the rating?

How well do CERO and ESRB ratings tend to line up?

All previous FE games tends to get an "A" CERO rating (All ages), but vary between E, E10+ and T for ERSB ratings. CERO B would likely be most comparable to ERSB T, but it's entirely up to the ERSB to decide what a game is rated, and they usually don't take into consideration other ratings, so you never know.

12 and up would be about right. I'm guessing T.

Then again, Jap ratings mean nothing considering some games were rated differently than other regions' counterparts, according to this:

...Cultural differences between ratings are very common, and games can receive different ratings in different countries. For example, the games God Hand, Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 and Samurai Shodown: Sen were all rated B by the CERO, which would technically give them T (13+) ratings in North America. However, they were all rated M (17+ - CERO D rating) by the ESRB, a difference of two grades. A more prominent example is Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, which was rated A (all ages) by CERO but M (17+) by the ESRB, a difference of three grades.Some ratings, however, are consistent, such as No More Heroes which is rated M by the ESRB, D by the CERO and 16 by the PEGI. Also, some games may be partially censored to eliminate some of the more mature themes in the games' content, such as the aforementioned No More Heroes.

However other games, for example Infamous have been given a Z rating, even though it received a T rating (13+) from the ESRB or 16 from PEGI.

Ratings are often printed on the packaging of video games. The Z classification is the only rating which is regulated by law. ...

^ Who knows how ESRB will rate this considering the chatter, unless I'm mistaken, about fe13 probably being "possibly too hot to survive the states' censors". If this game is released stateside, who knows if the NA version will be the only fe to actually receive either a M, or, at worst, an AO rating, due to "reasons that are deemed inappropriate to some countries, due to differences on game culture with the target culture", such as possible character actions, how dark the game's nature is in contrast to others of its kind, etc., that may or may not be deemed appropriate in the country of concern, sending potential players a message that is in contrast to those the esrb wants players to witness while playing, and if and when, and only if and when, the esrb finds, in terms of this game, the above reasons are actually demonstrated in the right amount to warrant an esrb rating of M or worse, I'll be surprised, as the above two possible ratings will hurt fe13's NA sales, and not to mention the fact that very few nintendo first-party titles are rated M or AO, so this will be an unfortunate first if the esrb chooses to rate awakening in a fashion that makes retailers worry about children seeing controversial content...

^Of course, I may have misinterpreted the content, but here's hoping for a T rating(the US equivalent of CERO's B, which is Jap fe13's rating) if it comes to NA...So far, chatter, but no official facts, in terms of this game's "american cultural appropriateness", which is determined officially by esrb rating(although some unreleased games and/or games not rated by esrb are revealed later in an unofficial manner to contain elements that are inappropriate to american culture(such as FE4 with the incest element revealed at game's end), although others are deemed appropriate, but the publisher chose not to release them to america nonetheless(such as FE12 with the dying DSi/XL as of jap release time), if no official confirmation from esrb is evident, it's harder to find out with 100% accuracy whether or not such games are appropriate for american culture). Looking forward to seeing if the chatter is logical or not in the form of said facts...

Edited by shadowjam

I'm fairly certain that nothing in the game would warrant an M rating. While there are children being born, "these two people fall in love and have a kid" isn't M.

T Rating

Titles in this category may contain more intense violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, mild or no blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of vulgar language.

It really doesn't seem like it's any more than a suggestive theme, however, we don't quite know the context involved, since most of us have yet to play it.

At the very least, it shouldn't be very hard for a localization team to water down anything into merely "suggestive." Because it's unlikely they'll be boning on screen or anything.

AO wouldn't even be possible, as none of the major console companies will allow that level of game to be published. Furthermore, a game has to quite graphic in order to reach AO.

See: Grand Theft Auto. Murder, prostitutes, etc. M Rating. This game won't even come close.

Edited by ZephyrShakuraus

GTA: San Andreas received an AO rating and was still available for purchase in major gaming stores, though it was removed by some others.

San Andreas was a bit of an exception to the rule. It was M on release, and is M again now, but for a while it was AO. (That may have also been before Sony/MS were banning the AO releases on consoles too, since I do not know when that was implemented, but San Andreas is OLD now.)

My point was that it wasn't immediately ripped off the shelves and burned. I guarantee you that the only reason AO games "aren't allowed" is because there is very little market for them on the home console right now, so risking the negative publicity just isn't worth it. That ban would be magically lifted if there proved to be a significant market for it.

Regardless, an FE game will never receive that rating.

Yeah, AO games are like X-rated movies: nothing illegal about selling them, but most major chains have policies against selling them in order to promote a particular image.

I can't see this game getting higher than a T, but I'd suspect E10+.

Yeah, AO games are like X-rated movies: nothing illegal about selling them, but most major chains have policies against selling them in order to promote a particular image.

I can't see this game getting higher than a T, but I'd suspect E10+.

Who the heck suggested AO?! (too lazy to look) I think there have been only 4 AO games on record, and all but GTA have been taken out and modified until they were at M. FE getting M or AO is entirely impossible. They would have to bring in something really bad for that to happen, and Nintendo wouldn't allow it. The game is getting released tommorow, so we shall see.

I'm guessing E10+ at the least and T at the most.

Slightly unrelated, anyone know when E10+ rating came about?

2004, the first game that was rated E+10 was Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Donkey_Kong:_Jungle_Beat#Trivia

EDIT: Someone beat me answer it a minute ahead.

Edited by King Marth 64

The game is getting released tommorow, so we shall see.

The game is already officially out in Japan, since it's already "tomorrow." Furthermore, like I pointed out, the ESRB is a North American regulation, Japan has CERO. We will not see an ERSB rating until it's release in NA, since Europe has their own regulation board as well.