Does anyone have any sort of knowledge on medieval weapons and the weapons knights would use on foot?

FionordeQuester

By and large, however, most didn't wear armor of a thicker variety, and those that did were generally mounted. Either way you wouldn't be finding armies of men advancing on an opponent with a wall of stabbing swords. It simply did not happen.

I have never read of this anywhere. Where did you hear this from?

No most didn't wear the best and expensive armor. And no you wouldn't walk into a wall of swords. You'd walk into a wall of pikes or maybe spears, after which these formations would be broken up(most famously by the zweihänder-wielding dopplesöldner) and charged by cavalry or the second infantry line.

No most didn't wear the best and expensive armor. And no you wouldn't walk into a wall of swords. You'd walk into a wall of pikes or maybe spears, after which these formations would be broken up(most famously by the zweihänder-wielding dopplesöldner) and charged by cavalry or the second infantry line.

The formations could be broken up, but the enemy closing in was not desirable and did not always happen as you are saying. Even when they did, most soldiers did not use a weapon strictly used for thrusting like some dueling weapons you seem to be talking about. And that charging pikes with zweihanders bit is often disputed, isn't it?

Edited by Esau of Isaac

But rarely does anyone ever get in close because they get stabbed to death from ten feet away. That's why literally every single ancient civilization made use of spears, yet not the epee. You're saying that people in the middle ages must have known how to fight with swords, but they must have known how to fight with a spear even better since that was almost exclusively what they used in combat.

Except part of the point of a spear (hur hur) is that you don't really need to know how to fight with it. It's a much easier weapon to use in formation than a sword.

• 3 weeks later...

Stabbing with a spear requires just as much education as stabbing with a sword. What makes it easier to use in formation than a sword as a stabbing weapon?

in formation spears could be braced against the ground facing out to repel cavalry

in formation spears could be braced against the ground facing out to repel cavalry

you were basically forced to do that because like a 900-1200 pound horse with a big man wearing armor was storming towards you with at least 30km/h. Your arms would be shattered or completely ripped off if you took their charge when holding the bloody thing in your hand.

you were basically forced to do that because like a 900-1200 pound horse with a big man wearing armor was storming towards you with at least 30km/h. Your arms would be shattered or completely ripped off if you took their charge when holding the bloody thing in your hand.

my point is it cant be done with a sword

Okay. Was this to supplement my point or counter it? If the former, peachy. If the latter, I don't understand what you mean.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chainmail I know can be defeated by Bow and arrows- because of the gaps in the armour (Look at a picture, and you'll get my rubbish explanation)