Tile Set Edits

Onmi

Does it break the game if I override tiles in a tileset with tiles from another tileset that serve the same purpose?

For clarification, we have the Western Isles tileset from FE6, what I want to do is replace the 'castle fort' on that tileset with the 'fort' from an FE8 Tileset, If I did that and made sure it was perfectly aligned, would anything go wrong? I only ask because I understand literally 0 about Tileset edits.

what you're saying is fine, most likely.

Tilesets do use multiple palettes though, as in the first, second and third palette at the offset in nightmare. (so be careful)

You DON'T have to repoint if it's not bigger than the original, and if you're actually changing the graphics in GBAGE it'll repoint them for you if you tell it to.

Edited by Jubby

Tilesets do use multiple palettes though, as in the first, second and third palette at the offset in nightmare. (so be careful)

Tilesets have 8 palette's, 4 for normal maps and 4 for FoW maps and they are all in the place pointed by the palette pointer. So it would be possible to have 8 palettes for a tileset if you don't use FoW.

@sholes

Uhhh, what? he only wants to overwrite like, 9 map tiles dude

He doesn't need to import the config, the same type of tiles

Nor does he need to change the palette

@Vergil

I've only looked into it once for KoT, but yeah, I know there's a separate one for FoW. Does each tile have a pointer to the palette it uses?

Edited by Jubby

@sholes

Uhhh, what? he only wants to overwrite like, 9 map tiles dude

He doesn't need to import the config, the same type of tiles

Nor does he need to change the palette

He wants to put the Western Isles stuff over another tileset, therefore in order for it to work properly the config would have to be imported because that effects how it reads the palettes and each tiles information.

He wants to put ONE Western Isles thing into another. JUST THE FORT OVER THE CASTLE. He's not trying to import the whole fucking tileset. Unless you know where each individual tile's config is located, he doesn't need to do that.

Edited by Jubby

TSA designates what tile uses what palette IIRC, so each 8x8 tile will only use 16 colors, but an entire tileset can use more colors.

also to my knowledge the game uses the latter 4 palettes for FoW by default; you can use 8 palettes maybe but a map that did so wouldn't have support for fog of war

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

I'd assume so.

TSA designates what tile uses what palette IIRC, so each 16x16 tile will only use 16 colors, but an entire tileset can use more colors.

also to my knowledge the game uses the latter 4 palettes for FoW by default; you can use 8 palettes maybe but a map that did so wouldn't have support for fog of war

It still would. The effect would just look differently. Which is actually a nifty thing to utilize--you can create different contrasts of colors representing some "thing" in your map. Maybe your map includes a huge fire breaking out in a castle? Red/gray palette indicates smokey haze. Maybe you're deep underwater? Murky blue "fog" effect on tiling.

So is there actually a TSA for tilesets somewhere that could let us edit the actual tiles? (Provided we edit them into tiles that use the same properties as the original - so we wouldn't replace a throne with a river tile or something)