A Sleight of Hand

Sea Lion

So, I finally got around to starting a hack again. My first chapter is done and the second map is inserted.

Here's the basis of the story: You start with a soldier, Piers, that was recruited by the Nicians to fight in their army. It will quickly become apparent that the world is essentially going to shit and the politicians are all corrupt. Piers will ditch the war and then start trying to stop the politicians with help from people in every country.

What I plan to do:

New world map

New battle maps

Halberdier class

Different Fighter and Warrior sprite

Different Druid sprite

Possible Scholar class

Possible Trickster class

Possibly add monsters

And now screen shots!

opening.png

2.png

3.png

6.png

1.png

Edited by Tangerine

[color=#073702][size=2][b]
[spoiler][/b][/size][/color][size="2"][color="#073702"][b]
[/b][/color][/size][size="2"][color="#073702"]Prologue[/color][/size][color="#073702"]
[size="2"][img=http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/Sea-Lion/opening.png][/size][size="2"][img=http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/Sea-Lion/2.png][/size][/color]
[color="#073702"][size="2"][img=http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/Sea-Lion/3.png][/size][/color]
[size="2"][color="#073702"][img=http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/Sea-Lion/6.png][/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#073702"]
[/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#073702"]Chap 1[/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#073702"][img=http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/Sea-Lion/1.png][/color][/size]
[color="#073702"][size="2"]
[/size][/color][color=#073702][size=2][b][/spoiler]
[/b][/size][/color]

what the fuck

opening.png

2.png

3.png

6.png

1.png

This is constructive criticism, not being insulting.

Possible Scholar class

Possible Trickster class

When people post things like this, what do you think comes to the average Joe's mind? I read this and think "Wow, Trickster and Scholar... I have no idea what these classes do."

There is no elaboration in the OP, nothing interesting to catch my attention. Why not try elaborating what makes the Trickster and Scholar classes interesting? Why should I care they're in here? What do they add to the gameplay? And most importantly, will they just be recolored/unedited animations of current classes that already exist, or actual new animations? (I'm guessing not new animations, unless you're Bwdyeti.)

New world map

New battle maps

I always wonder "Okay there will be new maps, but will they be good or decent level maps?"

Just because something is custom doesn't make it interesting to play. I will say that your map displayed in the screenshot isn't an abomination, but it's nothing amazing either. I would recommend reading Prime's mapping tutorial to learn how to make interesting maps, you'll come out for the better after reading it. :)

Basically, try and spice up the OP so we have a reason to be excited over your new hack. But don't get cocky, and don't beg people for sprites if you have nothing to show yet.

I always wonder "Okay there will be new maps, but will they be good or decent level maps?"

Just because something is custom doesn't make it interesting to play. I will say that your map displayed in the screenshot isn't an abomination, but it's nothing amazing either. I would recommend reading Prime's mapping tutorial to learn how to make interesting maps, you'll come out for the better after reading it. :)

I thought it was a good map. The map is likely the first or second one the player will see, and so, it's paired with a developing story. It's supposed to be scaled to the progression of the story. Going from that, Prime's tutorial isn't the best in terms of level design--it's more like pointers on how to pad out your map. That's not the same as good level design. That's just fluffing. And if you fluff a shitty design, the fluff is going to be superficial and boring.

In fact, I find the map here to be very balanced and fit for the first chapter. Any more detail and the map will be overloaded beyond its purpose. And needless conflation is a sign of bad design.

I think the map is fine. It's easy to forget while mapping that what might seem bland and uninteresting is just supposed to be the background, that the map doesn't have to be super interesting and detailed and have stuff everywhere.

That being said, the map has a few outright mistakes on it.

Alright, so I apologize for being so vague. I hadn't really thought anything through all the way yet, I also wasn't really sure how much detail to include.

So, story:

The game opens in the Republic of Kino, a country run by a coalition of of 'Committees' (the War Committee, Health Committee, Public Relations, etc.). Kino has recently been invaded by their northern neighbors, the Enterians. The Enterians forced their way down and took the capital of Kino, and now Kino is launching a counter strike that is going generally horrible. So Kino begins a draft and starts taking children from families to fight in the war. The main character, Piers, is one of the people forced to fight. The game is going to show alternating chapters of Piers, a common solider, and then Remie, the son of the head of the War Committee.

Also occurring at this time, Kino's eastern neighbors, Neton, are experiencing a very suspicious civil war. Through a series of detective work and fights, Remie will discover some bad things about the war council. This will happen while Piers observes first hand what the army is doing to citizens and how poorly it is being run. The two will meet up a little over halfway through the game, Remie having deserted his father, Piers having deserted the army. Once together the two will begin a revolution with the help of the Neton's and try to over throw the Committees.

Now the characters:

I have permission from Khrene Cleaver to use his/her (sorry) halberdier class that actually uses an ax.

I intend on making a better less giant version of the fighter as well as the druid.

The Scholar class will be a Remie custom class. It will be a stronger version of a Mage and possibly use dark magic as well as light. Its promote will be some governmental thing that will have the dance ability, I haven't quite thought out that part quite so much yet.

The Acrobat class will use knives and have a larger movement range than the thief. It will have a higher attack and speed, but lower health and skill than the thief. It will promote to the Trickster, a sword wielding class. Stronger and faster than the assassin but with less skill and with the Rogue ability to pick locks.

As for your fears about the maps being sucky, I don't think I'm bad at mapping, not great, but not bad, though I do plan on using some already existing maps to speed up the hacking process. Also, if you could point out any mistakes you see on the map that would be great (though that isn't the entire map).

Thank you.

I fixed your screenshots (actually I just clicked to edit cam's post and stole his tags and then cped them into yours cause I was lazy). Just use image tags next time and put them all in a spoiler tag if you intend to add more.