Downloading for Mac

neb10kta

I couldn't find this anywhere, so forgive me if it's already been asked. I just bought a Macbook and need to re-download all of my games. I know files are a bit different between Macs and PCs, so would anyone be able to help me out with this. Do I need different files for everything, or could I even transfer the files from my PC? Any help is very much appreciated, thanks!

You'd want a new emulator that isn't a .exe file. roms and save files should transfer. I use SNES9x and there's a specific folder you need to put your sram save files in but it should be the same format. savestates, if you use them, differ by the emulator. If you used SNES9x on the windows it might transfer as well, but I highly doubt ZSNES emulators would have the same savestate files. SNES9x Mac edition is pretty good IMO so just get that.

Edited by Fat Bunny

Okay, I did have SNES9X on the PC, so that should work. So which files do I need to move over, and where do I put them? (I'm not very good with computers. A Youtube tutorial helped me download them the first time.)

Roms can be anywhere on your computer afaik and MacSnes9x won't mind it. When you set up that snes9x there should be a few folders created in the same folder as the program such as. Cheats, Screenshots, Freezes, and SRAMs like in this screenshot here: http://gyazo.com/db808104079b14c3a365021adb71bb45 (Roms and Patches are my own folders to keep organised. SPCs is a program file as well but I don't remember what it actually does). You move the .srm files into SRAMs and .frz files into Freezes. Just put roms in the same folder or in a subfolder or something.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11337/snes9x

I dunno what the most recent version is, but here's a 1.53 of the emulator. I don't know if you need a specific version for different Mac os or anything like that .-. For future note, SRAM and your ROMs shouldn't depend on the emulator. SRAM files is your actual save-files like you'd normally use when you play the game on actual hardware, and are not savestates, which are images of the system's RAM (a frozen snapshot)--so they are always compatible so long as the emulator emulates stuff correctly.

SPCs is a program file as well but I don't remember what it actually does).

They are literally rips of the sound emulation/sound data for the game you're playing. You can use a dedicated SPC player or get a plugin for various media players to playback SPC files, and generally, you will have a 1:1 sound-quality with the original game with a teeny file-size count.

To give an idea, I have the complete soundtracks of over 800 NES games and the filesize only comes up to less than 50MB. There are other similar formats to SPC for other games too, including PS2 games.

• 6 years later...