Rate the Unit, Day 5: Cliff

Peppy

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Normal.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody has already given good reason for a score +/- half a point from yours, you can decide not to explain your score, but I always encourage personal reasoning. Incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly. Also, if your vote is already a 10/10 or greater than 9 and you give a full point of bias, The score may not exceed 10!

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends from 2100 to 2200 EST. Every ranking phase starts from 2200 EST to 2300 EST. Do the math if you are in another timezone!

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "He Comes with a Free Weapon" as an argument.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

- I have not played this game so for anybody who is Fond of FE2 and knows how each character should be rated, I give you permission to call out a rating that doesn't seem fair!

Looks Like Ayanami hasn't gotten to this in Two Days... Time to take over for the time being...

Averages:

Robin: 4.45

Grey: 6.85

Ruka: 7.89

Alm: 9.59

Edited by Folgore Purple

Hmm well usually I like to see what other people are rating before I put in my opinion.

Anyway, Cliff gets similar growths to Grey but he has more potential in training as he comes at a lower level.

His in game picture might make him looks extremely laughable but he is the best out of the three villagers.

Lately (in my 2nd playthrough of gaiden) he has been getting better level ups than Luka.

8/10.

If it'd be any other game, Cliff would've gotten a low rating. But it's Gaiden!

He has abominable low bases and he joins at the lowest level of the 3 initial villagers. But he just needs 2 level ups and he can promote. Thanks to the promotion system in Gaiden, his stats will suddenly make a jump and he'll be pretty much on par with the other 2 villagers, and from there on, he'll be better thanks to his high growths (for Gaiden standards).

His best class is probably mage, because he learns a lot of spells and when being mage, his low strength growth won't form a problem. He'll also do well in most other classes, but his strength may fall somewhat behind. In contrary to Grey and Robin, though, he'll still be useful after chapter 3 and he'll stay useful until endgame.

I'm gonna give him a 7/10, because his first few levels are a pain, but from then on, he'll be one of the better units. Still not as good as Alm or Luka, though.

Makes a durable mage, who learns awesome spells. Also great for getting the dragon shield from Dozeh if you train him well. Best mage in Alm's group, but can be overshadowed.

7.9/10 Though giving a -1 bias (making it 6.9/10) so that he doesn't surpass Grey. :x

He's alright, if not that versatile. Takes some time to get going though, and quite a few others can do what he can do.

5/10

He's alright, if not that versatile. Takes some time to get going though, and quite a few others can do what he can do.

5/10

You gave Robin 4 points more than Cliff? Are you serious?! Could you give some explanation for this, because it seems really illogical to me.

-Robin and Cliff have the same availability, base class and their starting levels differ only 1 in Robin's advantage (which is still only level 2)

-Their base stats do not differ that much, Robin has more speed, Cliff has more luck, as soon as they're promoted (on level 3), they have around the same stats when promoted to the same class.

-ALL of Cliff's growths, except luck, are better than Robin's

-Cliff learns more spells as a mage

I simply can't understand why you'd even rate Robin higher than Cliff, let alone by 4 points. I really wonder what's your reasoning behind this. Are you sure you haven't mixed them up?

Edited by KDS606

What do you get if you take an Est-like character and have them available from the beginning? Cliff! Given the existence of the villager class he can somehow begin the game underleveled but has some of the best growths in the game and a lot of levels to use them. Even in stats where he has a lower growth he still has good bases and if you make him a Mage not only does it fix his str problem by hitting res but he learns the powerful-and-light Excalibur and even the surprisingly-practical Aura eventually and since Alm's going to be missing a Mage for a while he's going to be incredibly useful. Cliff's one of those units that, when he gets going, you're going to keep for the rest of the game but for the hour or so that he's a villager he's going to be utter dead weight.

9.0/10, I'm having a hard time thinking of any criticism outside the first 3 or 4 battles.

What do you get if you take an Est-like character and have them available from the beginning? Cliff! Given the existence of the villager class he can somehow begin the game underleveled but has some of the best growths in the game and a lot of levels to use them. Even in stats where he has a lower growth he still has good bases and if you make him a Mage not only does it fix his str problem by hitting res but he learns the powerful-and-light Excalibur and even the surprisingly-practical Aura eventually and since Alm's going to be missing a Mage for a while he's going to be incredibly useful. Cliff's one of those units that, when he gets going, you're going to keep for the rest of the game but for the hour or so that he's a villager he's going to be utter dead weight.

9.0/10, I'm having a hard time thinking of any criticism outside the first 3 or 4 battles.

This except 8/10 instead if 9/10

The best character in the game. Makes good in every class. Best to make him either a Merc, or Mage. As a Merc, he can become the best sword unit in the game. As a Mage, he can become the best Mag user in the game. Also does very good with Aura as well as being the only villager that can have good spell learning potential that others cannot learn which is Aura. He can learn Fire, Thunder, Excalibur, Arrow, Aura, and Recover. Grey can only learn Fire, Thunder, Arrow, and Recover. Fire, Excalibur, Recover is all that Robin can learn. Cliff also does get very good defense for a magic user. Just like he becomes h4x as a sword user. His all throughout the game availability makes it a bonus. Someone to use in every run.

10/10

ITT Mekkah mixes up the names of Robin and Cliff, driving people crazy. Hilarity ensues.

Anyway, Cliff has the highest upside of the early non-Alm units easily, if not one of the highest in the game. His strength isn't fantastic, but it is good enough with promotion gains in mind and he can easily be any class you want. Still, he is a crappy villager the early moments of the game and his growths do not really work their magic until at least several levels. Eventually though, his combination of speed and defense will make him one of your go to guys mid-late game. Also, gotta love Excalibur and its ability to actually hit enemies on terrain!

8.5/10 (0.5 bias)

Edited by SRC

ITT Mekkah mixes up the names of Robin and Cliff, driving people crazy. Hilarity ensues.

This is what happens to someone who don't play the game for a very long time. Like just yesterday, I've mistaken FE8 having the ranking system and that I didn't know only because I haven't played the game more than twice in my life.

Edited by アイネ

This is what happens to someone who don't play the game for a very long time. Like just yesterday, I've mistaken FE8 having the ranking system and that I didn't know only because I haven't played the game more than twice in my life.

I;m already pretty fond of the game but i decided to start another playthrough of the game so i could contribute fairly

• 2 weeks later...

Cliff, A great Mage but an equally great Demon Fighter.

Depending on how you use any of the villagers such as Robin, Gray, Cliff or Atlas they have different ways to play so saying one sucks while another doesnt isnt really true. As well as any villagers can be the most powerful of any game through the use of the Myrmidon Class Line Loop. Though this can break the game it still provides some challenge early on. 9/10 Robin (Archer Set) 10/10 Gray (Cavalier set) Cliff 10/10 (Myrmidon Set) 10/10 Atlas (Knight Set)