more issues

cyron

I use 7-Zip to extract those files since 7-Zip is free.

Well, technically so is WinRAR. It's supposed to be a paid one but you can download the "free" trial version and completely ignore the "40 day" warning, continuing to use it for free.

But since I have no experience with 7-Zip I can't really say for sure, it seems to work for you after all!

thank you

i converted the .rar file into an ups file and then used nups to apply the patch to the rom now vba says it cant open the rom becuase the patched rom is a .zip file what do i do

Edit:

I merged your topics because you don't really need two as this deals with the same stuff.

~ eCut. :)

Edited by Cyron

You said that, after unarchiving the rar, you got a UPS file. Then you say you didn't, but you got a ZIP file. Which is it?

All files need to be decompressed before you try to use any patches. If your patch is archived, get it out; if your ROM is archived, get it out. Do not apply patches to archives like 7z, RAR, or ZIP. Do not apply these formats to ROMs.

VBA plays .gba games yo

and you don't just rename files to change their type, renaming extensions just changes how programs view them/what programs open them, not how they work itself.

You need to extract files out of archives (.ZIP, .RAR, and .7Z files are the most common archive types). In Windows, this is done by right-clicking and hit "extract here" or something similar, though you may need to like, install 7-zip or winRAR or something.

the rom was a .rar converted to nups

ROMs do not end in a .rar extension. .rar files are archives. If you've got something like Pokemon.rar, then the actual game is contained within that archive and it needs to be extracted. That is, unless you changed the file extension from whatever it was to .rar, which is not what you're supposed to do. That corrupts the file (generally).

This is how you do it:

- Extract the ROM from the .rar/.zip archive; you'll end up with a .gba file (in this case).

- Extract the patch from its archive; you'll end up with a .ups file (in this case).

- Use NUPS/etc. to patch the .ups file to the .gba file (see Patching Tutorial)

- Load the .gba file in your preferred emulator.

It's that simple. If you can't get that, there isn't too much more we can do for you; it's a simple process and that's basically the extent of the hand-holding we can do beyond going step-by-step on the process of extracting something from an archive file, which you could easily look up on Google. We can't give you a pre-patched ROM, either.

Edited by Lord Glenn