EA questions get more attention as separate threads

dondon151

Arch was a good man and guided me through most of this, answering my questions, but I still have one problem with LOMA working the way that I want it to.

Here's the EA code:

Opening_event:
LOMA 0x2D [0,0] //Cutscene map
LOU1 ThriaCutscene
ENUN
LOU1 OstiaCutscene1
ENUN
MOVE Geitz [15,7]
MOVE Canas [15,8]
MOVE Matthew [15,7]
MOVE Legault [15,8]
ENUN
LOU1 OstiaCutscene2
ENUN
MOVE Hector [15,7]
MOVE Oswin [15,7]
MOVE Wallace [15,8]
ENUN
FADI 10
HIDEMAP
LOMA 0x0F [0,0] //Actual map
ENDB

I want to use LOMA for a pre-chapter cutscene. To do this, I've already made the 15x10 map, inserted it into the ROM, and changed the chapter 32x map pointer so that it points to the map. I also changed the chapter 32x events pointer to the chapter 13 events pointer (I'm using chapter 13 for this chapter).

The problem that I have here is that when LOMA 0x2D happens, the map instantly appears on the screen without any fade from black whatsoever. In Nightmare, the "Chapter Title Display Fade-out" field is set to "Fade to black." If I do the following at the beginning:

LOMA 0x2D [0,0]

OOBB

The map appears to "load" twice. That is, the map will instantly appear, and then it will attempt to fade from black (which leads to the screen turning black because there needs to be a black to fade from). Next, if I do the following:

HIDEMAP

LOMA 0x2D [0,0]

OOBB

The cutscene just glitches up. SHOWMAP doesn't do anything either:

HIDEMAP

LOMA 0x2D [0,0]

SHOWMAP

OOBB

That just does the same thing as the first example above.

Oh, one more problem: the actual map has ballistae on it, and one of them shows up when I load the cutscene map. Is there any way to prevent that ballista from showing up?

Edited by dondon151

Have you tried

FADI

LOMA

FADU

?

Edit: oh wait, I just read a little more and understand the problem now. Wouldn't it just be easier for you to switch things up so that the events LOMA into the actual chapter? So you'd have your base chapter as the pre-chapter cutscene and then LOMA into the actual chapter map. That's what I've done with my chapter 1 which does essentially the same thing.

Edited by Agro

I have to question your logic about posting in separate thread. Getting enough attention won't help solve your problems as you've already got the attention of most people who answer questions, so getting more attention is unlikely to help solve your problems. The difficulty of your question will also affect the amount of replies you get, such as with your difficulties with the AI, as we are unlikely to reply if we don't have anything to say. I'd prefer that you posted your questions in the same topic as everyone else, since if I ever need to see what problems are the most common among people, I won't look anywhere expect the EA questions thread. Your questions will get equal attention in separate thread as it would get in the EA questions thread, atleast from me.

Arch was a good man and guided me through most of this, answering my questions, but I still have one problem with LOMA working the way that I want it to.

Here's the EA code:

Opening_event:
LOMA 0x2D [0,0] //Cutscene map
LOU1 ThriaCutscene
ENUN
LOU1 OstiaCutscene1
ENUN
MOVE Geitz [15,7]
MOVE Canas [15,8]
MOVE Matthew [15,7]
MOVE Legault [15,8]
ENUN
LOU1 OstiaCutscene2
ENUN
MOVE Hector [15,7]
MOVE Oswin [15,7]
MOVE Wallace [15,8]
ENUN
FADI 10
HIDEMAP
LOMA 0x0F [0,0] //Actual map
ENDB

I want to use LOMA for a pre-chapter cutscene. To do this, I've already made the 15x10 map, inserted it into the ROM, and changed the chapter 32x map pointer so that it points to the map. I also changed the chapter 32x events pointer to the chapter 13 events pointer (I'm using chapter 13 for this chapter).

The problem that I have here is that when LOMA 0x2D happens, the map instantly appears on the screen without any fade from black whatsoever. In Nightmare, the "Chapter Title Display Fade-out" field is set to "Fade to black." If I do the following at the beginning:

LOMA 0x2D [0,0]

OOBB

The map appears to "load" twice. That is, the map will instantly appear, and then it will attempt to fade from black (which leads to the screen turning black because there needs to be a black to fade from). Next, if I do the following:

HIDEMAP

LOMA 0x2D [0,0]

OOBB

The cutscene just glitches up. SHOWMAP doesn't do anything either:

HIDEMAP

LOMA 0x2D [0,0]

SHOWMAP

OOBB

That just does the same thing as the first example above.

FE7 uses pattern like this for loading maps:

FADI 4
HIDEMAP
ASMC 0x7A8B9
LOMA 0xB [2,16]
STAL 128
MUS1 0x53
FADU 2
SHOWMAP
TEX8 0x5DF [16,12] //The brown box telling where the map is.
STAL 100
RETB
STAL 16
CURF [2,16] //Flashes cursor on the gate aka scene advances normally.
STAL 32

This appears in Ch 2 and 5 for the Caelin castle. In Ch 22, with the event map on the Black Fang fortress, you have code like this:

BeginningScene:
CMOF
FADI 16
HIDEMAP
LOMA 0x3B [0,0]
LOU1 label44
FADU 4
SHOWMAP
TEX8 0x5D6 [136,12] //The brown box telling where the map is.
STAL 100
RETB
STAL 60
LOU1 label45 //Loads units aka scene advances normally.

The latter should be close to what you want, as it's in the beginning scene as well.

Oh, one more problem: the actual map has ballistae on it, and one of them shows up when I load the cutscene map. Is there any way to prevent that ballista from showing up?

You'll need to make a separate events for the chapter with no ballistae. Or move them so they won't show up.

FADI xx

LOMA

causes the same problem of the map spontaneously showing up unless you put a HIDEMAP before the LOMA.

But if the chapter is set to fade to black after the chapter title display, there shouldn't need to be a FADI because the map is already black. I can confirm that the chapter title display does indeed fade to black, but the LOMA causes the new map to appear instantaneously instead of fading in (like what it should do with an OOBB).

EDIT: I'll try what Nintenlord posted tomorrow. Thanks.

Part of the reason why I don't like posting in the EA questions thread is because it's really hard to find things in there.

Oh, actually, another question: how does the game load the same map for multiple chapters? Does it just not have an event pointer for that map?

Edited by dondon151