Are there pre schooler Japanese shows?

Guy Starwind

Are there nick jr type shows in Japanese? I've starting trying to learn Japanese but I still have a very long ways so I thought maybe a very young kid friendly show would help. Any suggestions?

Do shojo anime count?

Probably only if shonen do. But aren't both of those more in the elementary school range?

Looking at some of the subjects tackled, it might actually be too sophisticated for pre-schoolers, but Doraemon seems pretty badass and suitable for youngsters, so it might be fairly easy to understand?

Do shojo anime count?

Shojo is pretty broad. You have stuff like the Precure series which is definitely for kids, and then Revolutionary Girl Utena, which most definitely is not, even more so if you include the movie.

I'm only familiar with anime, so I hope you're not looking specifically for live-action. The Ghibli movies are usually pretty family-friendly, then there's the above-mentioned precure series, Shugo Chara, and Aria the Animation/Natural/Origination (technically Aria isn't strictly a kid's series, but it can definitely feel like one), to name a few. Common Shonen series like Naruto, One Piece, and Fairy Tail are more like young teen shows but are probably simple enough. Although they aren't what I would call "Nick Jr-type" shows.

Captain Underpants is a thing in Japan? I don't know whether to be surprised, or to be surprised that I'm surprised.

Are there kid's shows in the US? Yep. Are there kid's shows in France? Yes. Rinse and repeat... of course there are shows aimed at really young audiences in Japan. The entire thing is kind of inherent in Television, you need to have content for every demographic.

Shoujo and Shonen can be for really young audiences, but just labeling "Shonen/Shoujo is only for young people" is a misnomer. Full Metal Alchemist is labeled a Shonen series, and the first scene in the 2003 anime is EDWARD LOSING HIS ARM AND ALPHONSE BEING DISINTEGRATED. Digimon Tamers is labeled a kid's show and the end of the show becomes Baby's First Lovecraft story. Aka, Cthulhu cometh, that sort of thing. Shoujo...you can go from Cardcaptor Sakura to NANA which is most definitely *not* meant for children (Pregnancy, drug issues, abandonment, emotional turmoil, sex and sexual situations all the time, DO NOT RUSH A SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP is the main message of the series).

Are there nick jr type shows in Japanese? I've starting trying to learn Japanese but I still have a very long ways so I thought maybe a very young kid friendly show would help. Any suggestions?

I've used Doraemon, and I would greatly recommend it to try and get down a lot of the basics in common speech. I'd also recommend checking out the manga, as it's plain but not too easy for someone just learning.

I've used Doraemon, and I would greatly recommend it to try and get down a lot of the basics in common speech. I'd also recommend checking out the manga, as it's plain but not too easy for someone just learning.

I think I'll try this Doraemon show first.

Edited by Guy Starwind

Shoujo and Shonen can be for really young audiences, but just labeling "Shonen/Shoujo is only for young people" is a misnomer. Full Metal Alchemist is labeled a Shonen series, and the first scene in the 2003 anime is EDWARD LOSING HIS ARM AND ALPHONSE BEING DISINTEGRATED. Digimon Tamers is labeled a kid's show and the end of the show becomes Baby's First Lovecraft story. Aka, Cthulhu cometh, that sort of thing. Shoujo...you can go from Cardcaptor Sakura to NANA which is most definitely *not* meant for children (Pregnancy, drug issues, abandonment, emotional turmoil, sex and sexual situations all the time, DO NOT RUSH A SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP is the main message of the series).

Despite any increased level of violence/mature themes/whatever, "shonen" and "shojo" is a word for material generally marketed towards young people, AFAICT. And there are young adult books in the US that involve sex drugs and all that jazz rock and roll, dunno about shows. And no one (here) labelled "shonen/shojo is only for young people" anyway.

I think I'll try this Doraemon show first.

Good to hear! It gives a good feel of Japanese through word-play and basic kids' speech, given that all of the characters in the show are children --barring Doraemon of course.

Best of luck to you in your studies, by the way. I'd be glad to help if you need any, as I'm a struggling student myself. >.>

Despite any increased level of violence/mature themes/whatever, "shonen" and "shojo" is a word for material generally marketed towards young people, AFAICT. And there are young adult books in the US that involve sex drugs and all that jazz rock and roll, dunno about shows. And no one (here) labelled "shonen/shojo is only for young people" anyway.

This is correct. The words shonen and shoujo are meant to pertain to content that is for young male and females respectively.

Good to hear! It gives a good feel of Japanese through word-play and basic kids' speech, given that all of the characters in the show are children --barring Doraemon of course.

Best of luck to you in your studies, by the way. I'd be glad to help if you need any, as I'm a struggling student myself. >.>

Thank you and I will keep your help in mind

Yes there are an abundance of Japanese animated childrens programs. Try a google or wikipedia search.

Good point. I guess I'd just try here first.