Shining Force II Draft Challenge

Elieson

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posting some tips (that I assume you already know about but might not), such as;

Red Baron's innate Counter Rate (not power) Bonus of 100% (yes, double)

Baron Critical Power and Rate +25% (might be 50%, i forget)

Baron vs Gladiator promotion gains ( +1 mov, +5 Agi & Swords vs +10 Def)

Paladin vs Pegasus Knight promotion gains (Terrain Ignore and +5 Def vs Terrain Effect (the % in the box applies to mov cost as well as Dmg reduction, FYI, so Paladins take a -Terrain%)

Critical Sword and Counter Sword applying +25% rate activation, as well as the Nazca Cannon and Rune Axe having a +25% critical rate boost

And a fun one. Repair cracked items by stuffing them in the Caravan, then removing them. It's a money saver for our kinda game.

Edited by Elieson

Also adding: the mythril wpn, Rune axe glitch, reduces Baron/RedBaron crit rate/pwr to 125%, because it replaces the class bonus, instead of stacking with the natural 150% crit rate/pwr bonus. So, the Rune Axe allows Gladiators to almost match Baron natural crit rate/pwr of Barons.

Trolls at Camelot, ya know.

One more. Archer/Sniper vs Archer/Brass Gunner promotion gains

+8 Agi vs +3 Atk, +18 Def and 50% terrain ignore over archer class

Both classes have 5 mov btw. Screw Agi. Elric and Janet have enough to spare anyway.

Edited by Elieson

And a bit more that I need to correct myself on.

Aside from Chester, units don't lose stats at promotion like they did in Shining Force 1. Chester loses Def, I believe.

And I'd explain the differences between Sorc/Wiz and Vicar/MM, but they are kinda duh. Vicars get +20MP, while MMs get Gloves (so no Mystery Staff boo)+16 (or 18...i forget) Atk, and +10 Def.

Both classes have 5 mov btw. Screw Agi. Elric and Janet have enough to spare anyway.

I checked my game. Snipers get 6. But Brass Gunners have a better movement type so I think they can move further than Snipers in forests and stuff.

Anyhow, after thinking for way too long (sorry, guys), I decided to settle with my second favorite playable character: Rohde

Ahh, I kind of expected that. Well, I need another decent unit for chess battle, and no way will Luke suffice. Gimme Elric.

And something with magic would be nice. I got Randolf for my muscle, Elric for range, Sarah for healing :X, I'd like Taya for offensive magic. I just hope she can take a single hit by Zeon...

Proto, you're up again.

I thought about it. And I still can't find a better choice than Claude. Nope, I'm keeping him. Sorry, Elieson.

Edited by Luster Purge

Bowie: Quick, distract your enemy! Cast Muddle Lv1!

Kazin: I don't know muddle magic.

Sarah: I'm busy healing. What should we do?

Elric: I know! Janet, stand in the sunlight! Your pink outfit will surely blind them when combined with the light!

Janet: (this is what I get for trying to look cute for Elric.)

2 range flier (combined with your Eric) will be boss.

Zynk is a tank, with good offense and hp, but that mov....he should eat a running pimento.

Bowie: Quick, distract your enemy! Cast Muddle Lv1!

Kazin: I don't know muddle magic.

Sarah: I'm busy healing. What should we do?

Elric: I know! Janet, stand in the sunlight! Your pink outfit will surely blind them when combined with the light!

Janet: (this is what I get for trying to look cute for Elric.)

XD!

Lemon for me.

CURSE YOU MAGNUS BLADE!!!

With Higins, Skreech, Luke, and Kiwi being final round rubbish (Higins not so much but you get the idea), and Gyan being redundant when Claude joins right after, my only remaining option is... Chaz.

No Lemon for you Proto :P

But...hurff....my choices...

I'll take Higins.

I'll also take....hmm. Not Kiwi....hurff.....

It's between Luke and Gyan really. Skreech is essentially Luke+, but he comes later, and I will have Higins and Taya by that time. Early game will be a bitch already, as I have drafted Chester, then Elric, so Lulke is desirable as a guy wi can finish off things that my party leaves alive with a few HP, but I dunno how necessary of a niche that'll be.

While Gyan is just a boss as is, no training required. But he comes so darn late, and I'll already have Randolf running the show.

Screw it, I'll suck it up and take boss that is Gyan. 2 gladiators on my team can't hurt, and Endgame is where I want durability over early game.

Higins and Gyan.

You guys can divvy up the leftover Petshop brigade.

Sold my wooden stick/sword and the angel wing/antidote, and bought real wpns for PRETZEL & CHESTER. The range is nice to have, and at Level 2, wooden wpns do 1 to the Huge Rats outside ob the way to Yeel. It's a wise investment for me, and hell, I get to keep the exp for Chester~

Didn't use Jaha once. Lazy sleepy dude can camp out by the battle start points with a backpack full of Mythril.

Gold...ehh, around 300. I forgot to check.

Also, post battle, don't miss the Power Water in the Shrine to the south, or the Mythril on the cliff just outside of the shrine, in the worldmap area.

Nabbed a Healing Seed from the pot in house #1, and dragged Kazin by his throat to Yeel, stomping wild animals in the process.

P/S/C are now all Lvl 5, and I have 482 Gold. I can't be assed to keep track of stats, because I'm spending more time doing this than actually playing.

Oh c'mon, Hawel is dead? Poor old msn, he just wanted to party in the mountains, away from the police.

Need revenge? Kazin shall deliver.

From Yeel to Hawel's Bachelor pad.

842, and a smack on the head from Lemon. A critical miss from PRETZEL resulted in me needing a single casting of Blaze, but JAHA and KAZIN did nothing beyond that. P/S/C are 7/6/7 now. No new goodies, since there is no loot until after you meet Slade and bust out of prison with Slade's "short wire".

Oh yea.

WAR IS ON!

Didn't need Jaha/Kazin at all. PRETZEL counter'd the Knight, resulting in the fight ending early since he got killed. I could not kill the mage or the other archer...screw being awesome. Oh well, I have a THIF on my team now...that counts for something....right?

To Granseal!

Ended this one with 1822 gold. I did not buy the bronze lance or Short Rod. I also have yet to use a healing item, or let someone die. P/S/C are all lvl9.

Shit son, Granseal is pretty scary now. Gotta find King Galam...but first, recruited FILBERT the turtle. Those who get the reference, please say so. Off to the tower basement...source of THE FINAL BATTLE NOT REALLY!

Edited by Elieson

Skreech is out because he can't be sacrificed in Chess

Between Luke and Kiwi, only Kiwi can help me in the critical earlygame where I have to do everything with just Bowie, Sarah, and Peter, before I recruit Gerhalt. And since Luke joins after Gerhalt, I'm going with Kiwi.

Okay, I finally started. Beginning was pretty straightforward. Got a Medical Herb at school, went to the castle, opened three chests, went to the tower, got a Mithril.

Battle 1 - Ancient Tower

I had two objectives, get Sarah to use Heal thrice, and make sure Chester gets 0 kills. So basically, Chester weakened enemies and took hits while Bowie/Sarah killed the Gizmos. Both of them leveled up. Sarah got MP+2, which means I get an extra Heal for the next battle. Nice!

UNIT     LV.EX HP MP AT DF AG MV  INVENTORY
Bowie     2.34 14  8 10  5  5  6  Wooden Sword, Medical Herb x3
Sarah     2.14 12 12 10  6  6  5  Wooden Rod, Medical Herb x2, Angel Wing

GOLD 420

I'm trying to decide between Jaha and Kazin right now. Kazin consistently deals 6 damage, whereas Jaha's attacks will weaken as the enemies get tougher. On the other hand, Jaha has two battles before Kazin, and is much sturdier. Hmmmm...

Decided to go with Kazin, because he's faster too, and since I'm not gonna level Jaha up much, his HP will remain pretty bad. So, anyways, I recruited Jaha, sold my Wooden Sword and bought a Short Sword for Bowie. Got a few stuff in the boat, which included a Quick Chicken. And then I headed west

Battle 2 - To Yeel!

Okay, this was really difficult and took several retries. Jaha ran to the southeast corner at the edge of the water to prevent any unintentional penalties. Bowie, Sarah, and Chester headed north to eliminate the single Ooze over there. Chester went down to 3 HP from that Ooze alone so he had to retreat to the northeast corner and never came out. Sarah and Bowie were in good condition and then headed further north in preparation for the Huge Rat + Ooze x2. The idea was to exploit the land effects and have everyone attack Bowie, who would hit back while Sarah assists him with both attacks and healing. Sarah only needed two Heals before the Huge Rat and Ooze x2 were slain.

Bowie was still injured a bit, but he went with Sarah to face the final Huge Rat and a single Ooze. The Ooze died quickly but I had to use another Heal. By then, Bowie leveled up enough to endure the Huge Rat's attacks. The Huge Rat kept attacking Bowie despite Sarah have only 8 HP left and lesser Defense. If this is what Hard mode's "superior" AI is supposed to mean, I can definitely live with this :D. Confident with my victory, I prolonged the battle by forcing Sarah to deal the finishing blow, a process which required her to use her last Heal (which means more EXP!)

Bowie     5.08 19  9 16  8  9  6  Short Sword, Medical Herb x3
Sarah     4.56 14 15 11  7  8  5  Wooden Rod, Medical Herb x2, Angel Wing

GOLD 405

Edited by Luster Purge

Good news! After the King Galam fight, dead units come back to life for free! I figured this out after Chester got Double Attacked, twice, by a Dark Smoke that got two turns back to back. Oh the luck :(

The First Actual Challenge

But yea. A tuff fight. P/S/C advanced slowly, drawing the Archers and Knights two at a time. They decided to assault Sarah nonstop for 3 and 5 dmg each, respectively. Got mad exp for healing herself, while my two men fought like beasts.

Kazin got nothing off because he got Heavy Attacked by the first Dark Smoke resulting in an OHKO, after clearing the Knights/Archers near the entrance.

To add to the frustration, Sarah got Silenced (a Dark Smoke specialty). She countered back for 1, allowing a PSC trio assault to take him down by sealing exactly enough dmg between the three of them.

Pretzel and Chester finished at lv 10 (well, Chester died to the final Dark Smoke, but Bowie killed it right after), while Sarah finished at 9.99.

Pretzel got thrown by old men, acquired a shiny new Jewel, then fell 30ft on his head. Jaha still did nothing.

Granseal fell into a sink hole, and we went for a boat ride. Sarah threw up on our new pet Turtle, and we hit land, where I learned of the free revival!

Off to the North Cliff, where I will likely use my 2 Egresses to EXP/Gold farm.

Edited by Elieson

Proto, did you raid Granseal Castle's treasure room? You should have an angel wing to sell.

I realized I had full inventory (I should probably sell Chester's and Jaha's equipment, but eh) so I sold an Antidote (Detox) and Angel Wing (Egress). Got a Healing Seed in Yeel, talked to Kazin, and headed north.

Battle 3 - To Hawel!

Bowie must be quite overleveled, because there was nothing that could noticeably injure him. Ooze did 1 damage, Huge Rat did 3 damage, and the Huge Bat did 5 damage on the forest. Jaha never moved from his corner, and all Chester did was hit a Huge Rat for 1 damage to allow Sarah to go for the kill. Speaking of which, I tried to feed more kills to Sarah, but when there was one Ooze left, I had her spam her remaining Heals, which caused her to oulevel Bowie.

Bowie     6.31 21 10 17 10 10  6  Short Sword, Medical Herb x3
Sarah     6.41 16 18 12  9 10  5  Wooden Rod, Medical Herb x2, Healing Seed

GOLD 550

Hawel dies... I love this music, it's just so sad... Not that I care about this Hawel fellow. Anyways, Kazin joined! And he has higher attack than lolchester

Battle 4 - Galam Soldiers!

The fact that Kazin had higher attack than Chester should have tipped me off to stop using Chester. But I went ahead and had him fight and he quickly died. A Huge Bat made Bowie fall asleep, which was VERY annoying. Still, though, Kazin abused his Blaze, and Sarah had plenty of Heals to go around. I started picking off the enemies one by one until the final archer remained, after which I had Kazin whack the archer with his staff while Sarah exhaust all her Heals, and then having Bowie kill the Archer. Kazin leveled up. Chester revived in the jail, yay!

Bowie     7.95 23 10 18 11 11  6  Short Sword, Medical Herb x3
Sarah     7.83 17 19 13 10 11  5  Wooden Rod, Medical Herb x2, Healing Seed

GOLD 910

Couldn't get the Chirrup Sandles because my Inventory was full. I'll have to pick it up later on, probably at the last quarter of the game. Got the Mithril from the secret passage and moved on.

Battle 5 - Galam Castle

This took a few tries, though not as much as Battle 2, which remains as the toughest battle so far. First, Sarah and Bowie eliminated the Gran Soldiers and the Archer, with a little help from Kazin. Bowie needed healing and used a Medical Herb as opposed to a Heal1 because he needed item space. He lured the Mage, killed it, and gave the Short Rod to Sarah, who equipped it. He also lured in the Galam Archer, which took awhile to make sure the Knight doesn't take the bait first, and then retreated to draw the Archer away from the Knight, before killing the Archer.

After that, Chester and Kazin successfully baited the Mage to fire Blaze1 through the wall, draining away its MP. Bowie, Sarah, and Kazin then charged onwards. Bowie attacked the Mage, now devoid of MP, Kazin fired two Blaze1s on the Knight, while Sarah healed. The Galam Soldier kept hitting Kazin, so Bowie had to kill him off after the Mage died. Sarah finished off the Knight after her MP was drained.

Bowie     9.46 26 11 20 14 13  6  Short Sword, Medical Herb x2, Wooden Rod
Sarah     9.33 19 21 17 11 13  5  Short Rod, Medical Herb x2, Healing Seed

GOLD 1440

I got angry at those dealers for charging me so much so I stole all their stuff. I also sold BOTH my Wooden Sticks, because I have yet to see Kazin deal more than 1 damage with it, and I doubt the situation can ever get ever. And with that, I left Galam through the south...

Battle 6 - Pursuing King Galam (couldn't think of anything better, sorry)

I had to restart plenty of times at the beginning in order to make sure the Knight does not attack Slade, which would cause a penalty. The only way to accomplish this was to have Sarah and Bowie block the Knight's path. Once that was done, the rest of the battle was very straightforward. Bowie tanked hits like a boss, Kazin unleashed Blaze1s, Sarah attacked and occasionally healed. The enemy were being picked off one by one. Bowie hit Lv 10 (no MP growth :(:), which caused him to gain only 1 EXP for slaying Galam Soldiers. Looks like I won't have such a hard time without Gerhalt after all.

Bowie    10.08 27 11 21 15 14  6  Short Sword, Medical Herb x2
Sarah    10.51 20 22 18 12 14  5  Short Rod, Medical Herb x2, Healing Seed

GOLD 2195

btw I'm using this to go through the game.

Edited by Luster Purge