NEWS on sony smash brothers (ripoff)

Cammy white

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what, we have a bunch of FPS leads in an environment like SSB?

Sounds kind of....meh. I'd be happy if only one or two FPS leads made it in.

Needs moar Spyro, Ratchet, Crash Bandicoot, and other unique characters that although cartoony, aren't really mimic'd by the others.

I've played all games from both series, and they play completely different.

InFamous lets you decide how you want to use your power: Do you want to protect the innocents, or do you want to become the king of a living hell? The way your power develops depends strongly on your moral decisions, or more precisely, your karma: By doing good deeds, like saving injured people, you become more and more heroic, which affects your abilities: For example, your granades (which consist of pure electricity), will be able to bind your enemies when beaten. Also, if you become a hero, the crowd will support you when you fight, like throwing stones on your enemies, to buy you time while recharging.

You can also become a villain, your attacks will be more destructive, and the people will fear you. Absorbing the bio-electricity stored in humans (both innocents and enemies) will give you a bad reputation, but is also a way to recharge your batteries in areas without any electricity (remember, the city has suffered heavily).

The game's ending also changes whether you've been a hero or a villain. It also affects the sequel, InFamous 2, if you load your savestat.

Prototype on the other hand... It follows a linear storyline. Of course, it's open world, but the story will always be the same, even if you do some story missions in different order. It's about revenge, and it will be as bloody as it can get. Cutting enemies and bystanders in half, absorbing them to restore your health, and doing all kinds of nasty things to those who stand in your way. Different powers that you can level up (Prototype 2 features a pretty nice skill leveling system)... everything to make you the perfect weapon. People will always fear you... because they're just prey to you, the perfect, constantly evolving predator.

Aaaanyway, both games have their charm... but I prefer InFamous, for it lets me live out my inner hero.

I dunno, I'm still unsure whether I'll buy the game or not... so far the only reasons that I wouldn't buy it were that it was missing Cole and any Protagonist from Assassin's Creed. With Cole joining in, it's worth a thought... but not enough yet for me to spend 60€ on the game, especially when AC3 is coming out at a similar time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I hope this isn't considered a necro-post, but Ratchet and Clank, Dante, Sackboy, Spike,

, Nariko, and Sir Daniel Fortesque are confirmed.

Apparently, Superbot will be revealing at least one new character for every major gaming conference that comes around (eg: the Tokyo Game Show), so it looks like we'll have quite a few more character reveals left, none of which, have been already revealed by the leak. As for news on Crash, there was a tweet from an Activision staff member basically said "We hope he's in too. Superbot will have more info." This is the closest I have to a legit source. There was also supposedly a thread about it on the PS blog forums.

On a side note, have any of you guys been able to play the beta version at all? You can supposedly get a code and be able to play a demo version and help the developers test the online gameplay.

To be honest, this game is starting to interest me a little more. I might just persuade my little brother to play it with me.

Still, I don't like how you have to use your "final smash" to actually KO your opponents. But who knows? That might actually NOT be redundant if they do it right.

Plus, I REALLY want to beat my little brother with FAT PRINCESS.

Edited by Esme

It's sort of like SSBM meets Dissidia's BRV/HP mechanics, where you build something up, and then deal actual damage with a different attack. I've played Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale at Evo 2012, and it does add quite a bit of strategy when planning how to take your opponent down. In addition, playing competitively 1 on 1's pretty fun and strategic, as Clockwork taught me by handing my ass to me playing as Fat Princess vs. Kratos.

What I think is stupid is the lack of lots of real characters that made Sony a famous powerhouse. Characters like Jak and Daxter are sensible, and especially ones that give it flavor like Parappa the Rapper, but Cole McGrath? Fat Princess? Are these really characters that instantly spring to mind when Sony is announced? And don't even get me started on Big Daddy. Why? Just why?

There's a couple of things you need to understand about the Sony library:

- a lot of the "Sony mascots" only appeared in this generation, because of stronger first-party development. For example, during the PS2 era, the only Sony mascot I could think of is Wander from Shadow of the Colossus, and Kratos from God of War. The rest are either too obscure to remember (Tomba, Vahn) or cause redundancy (Gabe Logan).

- the Playstation consoles have always relied on strong third-party ties and development, which they have relied on almost exclusively until the current gen, when Microsoft got almost every third-party title that was supposed to be PS3-exclusive to also be on the XBox 360. That's why having a lot of third-party characters is such a big deal for PSA: the Playstation's success was built on those characters and their games. That also explains the lack of a stellar first-party cast, which Nintendo has a decisive advantage on.

Sony and SuperBot are doing pretty well, though: they have 4 third-party characters listed down already, and Square Enix has yet to make an appearance in the game. Also, the roster already has 20 characters. Not bad for a first in a possible series (the first Smash Bros had 8 playable characters). Moreover, they brought back some cult favorites (Parappa, Sir Daniel). There's a lot of red tape to go through to get the other characters, but I hope they pull through. And if not, well, just hope the game sells/plays well so we'll be open for a sequel in the future.

My personal character requests for PSA:

First-party: Tomba (Tomba!), Vahn (Legend of Legaia), Leonard (White Knight Chronicles), Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)

Third-party: Lara Croft (Tomb Raider, Eidos/Square Enix), Anyone from Final Fantasy (most likely Cloud or Lightning), Etna/Prinny (Nippon Ichi Software), Megaman Volnutt (Megaman Legends), KOS-MOS (Xenosaga), Alucard (Castlevania)

Since Namco, Capcom and Konami have already added characters, I'm doubtful if we'll get a second character from each dev, though.

Edited by Keiya

I don't really like that the 3rd party contributions so far seem just like they're pulling a Roy; DmC, Metal Gear Rising, and Tekken Tag 2 aren't even out yet though I guess it is fairly easy to justify in the case of Heihachi, what with needing a new seiyuu and all that. And Big Daddy still doesn't strike me as any sort of a Sony character, but whatever. Pleased to see Sir Daniel, hoping that Superbot continues to acknowledge the PS1.

All I hope is that if Wander makes the cut, the doesn't get turned into Marth. Wander is an absolutely terrible swordsman and that should be a core part of how he plays.

Lara Croft (Tomb Raider, Eidos/Square Enix)

Oof... I've got some bad news for you there, pal. Also, Activision owns the licenses to Crash and Spyro, so they're technically third-party as well.

Edited by The Blind Archer

I agree with your point about there being one too many advertisement characters (notably them having their upcoming form instead of their most well known form being their default costume).

But making characters bad to stay true to their game? First off, bad is subjective. Marth is high tier in FE1, 3, and 12 and mid tier in FE11, and his overall growths have always been on the upper end compared to other characters in his games. Second, by that logic, Pikachu would be one of the worst characters in Smash Bros, Captain Falcon would just be another Mario given his well rounded stats in F-Zero, Jigglypuff would have the greatest stamina given its high HP stat (but low stats in everything else), and Mewtwo would be overpowered to the point of people rage quitting the Smash Bros series.

The character's overall power in their game series shouldn't affect how powerful the character is overall in a spinoff. I mean, having Sonic be superfast in both his games and Smash Bros. is reasonable, but just because he doesn't do a lot of hand to hand fighting doesn't mean his hand to hand fighting should be really weak in Smash Bros.

But making characters bad to stay true to their game? First off, bad is subjective.

Then you haven't played Shadow of the Colossus. Wander stumbles and loses balance whenever he swings his sword. He has to cling to and clumsily stab colossi in order to damage them. He is a terrible swordfighter, and only uses his sword in game because it's the only way to deal a finishing blow to a colossus. He's a hell of an archer, being able to shoot with accuracy from horseback at full freaking gallop, but with a sword? He is awful. And that clumsiness needs to be at least visually present in his melee options if he does become playable.

Furthermore, Superbot's been going out of their way to make characters feel true to their home franchise so far, with a few touches here and there (i.e. Parappa's knowledge of Kung Fu coming full circle, or Sly having stealth options instead of blocking). Why stop doing that because one guy with a sword can't dance circles around his opponents like Raiden or Dante already do?

Or does the clear lack of any know-how with using a sword get to be considered as subjective now?

Edited by The Blind Archer

Although, for all we know, though, Wander could be strong as hell compared to the average human given he took down mounds of stone, earth and magic the size of buildings, despite his skinny appearance. That might make for an interesting character; lethal, pinpoint bow accuracy at a distance (preferably something more enjoyable than smash Link's arrow mechanics), and clumsy unrefined but earth-shattering power up close.

I wouldn't say he's exactly obviously inept, though. It's not like conventional sword-fighting technique would have much chance to be used/showcased against a Colossus. A bit of desperation in his swings is fine with me, but I don't think he has to be tripping over himself or nothing to drive the point home.

Edited by Rehab

No need to get worked up over it.

As I mentioned in my Sonic example, having the character's strengths from their series implemented in spinoffs is reasonable. But having Wander stumble every time he uses his sword would make things a bit too unbalanced, especially given that no other character in PSASBR has any attacks that causes them to stumble. Wander's bow attacks being much better than his sword attacks? I see no problem with that. Wander's melee sword attacks being quite weak and slow compared to other character's melee attacks? No problem either. But making him stumble when he uses his sword just because that's how he was in the game? That's getting as bad as Pichu hurting itself in Melee. Implementing clumsy animations for his sword attacks would probably be the way to go, since actually making him stumble would make him too weak, punishable, and imbalanced, even with a good ranged game with his bow.

Bummer on Lara Croft not making the PSA roster. And yeah, while I know it's to promote DmC and RIsing, I would still have wanted old skool Dante and Solid/Naked Snake on the game.

As for Wander, I didn't list him down as a character I want on PSA because he doesn't have mechanics that can't be tied to someone else (Sir Dan, Kratos, Raiden, Dante), and also, instead of SoTC being represented by a character, why not SoTC be represented by some stages? For example, a stage that takes place on the back of one of the Colossi (i.e. 1st Colossus) and then switch to another sight in another game (i.e. the 1st Colossus starts fighting Chronos from God of War, and you have to fight on them while they're in combat, so the stage continues to alter).

Out of their more obscure characters, though, I really think Tomba and Vahn are the ones that would make a very good contribution to PSA. Tomba's strategy would involve his 3 elemental gems and his grapple, which would make him largely strategic, and he'd have really interesting super mechanics if they decide to implement the Evil Pig Bags in the game.

As for Vahn, I see no better character to put on a fighting game than whose RPG is heavily inspired by fighting games. His supers would be Tornado Flame (L1), Burning Flare (L2) and Vahn's Craze (L3).

I hope this isn't considered a necro-post, but Ratchet and Clank, Dante, Sackboy, Spike,

, Nariko, and Sir Daniel Fortesque are confirmed.

Apparently, Superbot will be revealing at least one new character for every major gaming conference that comes around (eg: the Tokyo Game Show), so it looks like we'll have quite a few more character reveals left, none of which, have been already revealed by the leak. As for news on Crash, there was a tweet from an Activision staff member basically said "We hope he's in too. Superbot will have more info." This is the closest I have to a legit source. There was also supposedly a thread about it on the PS blog forums.

On a side note, have any of you guys been able to play the beta version at all? You can supposedly get a code and be able to play a demo version and help the developers test the online gameplay.

Where can you test the beta? Also why did they choose THAT version of Dante?!

Beta signups right here.

Also, as previously stated, they picked DmC Dante and Raiden because Capcom and Konami are trying to promote their upcoming games (and I won't be surprised if they have codes for DLC costumes). As an example, Square Enix might put either Lightning or Noctis instead of Cloud/Sephiroth to promote the FFXIII series.

To be honest, this game is starting to interest me a little more. I might just persuade my little brother to play it with me.

Still, I don't like how you have to use your "final smash" to actually KO your opponents. But who knows? That might actually NOT be redundant if they do it right.

Plus, I REALLY want to beat my little brother with FAT PRINCESS.

I'm pretty sure there are different game modes and that's just one of them. Why they haven't focused at all on the others, I have no idea. Maybe they didn't want to show throwing people off the stage, so people wouldn't think it's a Smash Bros ripoff? Thank god that didn't happen!

Double post but well, a lot of new characters were leaked. Google playstationallstarsbattleroyale and it'll show a list of them on the first hit (the official site, mind you).

Highlights include Ico and Gene from God Hand.

Google up "playstationallstarsbattleroyale". On the search results, the top site, which is also the official site, will display some text under the link where it lists down a bunch of characters, which are:

Fayt Leingod = Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Felicia = Darkstalkers

Gene = God Hand

Gray Fox = Metal Gear Solid

Ico and Yorda = ICO

Not sure if this is a huge oversight on the part of the devs (designing the website to reveal eventual TGS unveiled characters, but forgot to fix the net code, so they leaked unwanted information), or these are from a forum poll/character wish list. Either way, it'll be exciting, to say the least, if at least half of those characters actually make it to the roster.

I see people have made screen shots, at least going by this gamefaqs topic. The official site's search result taglines are standard fare as of now, though, so their legitimacy looks hard to prove.

I wouldn't be able to categorically deny it, though, and I wish the fans of those characters luck. Especially Gene.

Edited by Rehab

Google up "playstationallstarsbattleroyale". On the search results, the top site, which is also the official site, will display some text under the link where it lists down a bunch of characters, which are:

Fayt Leingod = Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Felicia = Darkstalkers

Gene = God Hand

Gray Fox = Metal Gear Solid

Ico and Yorda = ICO

Not sure if this is a huge oversight on the part of the devs (designing the website to reveal eventual TGS unveiled characters, but forgot to fix the net code, so they leaked unwanted information), or these are from a forum poll/character wish list. Either way, it'll be exciting, to say the least, if at least half of those characters actually make it to the roster.

These seem like dream characters, outside of Felicia and Gray Fox. I mean Ico sounds cool, and Gene would be great, but Fayt? Who would seriously do that?

If they actually include him I'll be incredibly puzzled. I mean, Fayt? Fayt?