My Unit Character Creation

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go to 4:20

That wasn't all of them, but I did see a few of the female options I'd never seen before. I thought I'd already seen that video when it first started, but I hadn't.

Thanks for that!

That wasn't all of them, but I did see a few of the female options I'd never seen before. I thought I'd already seen that video when it first started, but I hadn't.

Thanks for that!

Yup your welcome :D

It's a shame you can't change the skin color of your character.

Yup your welcome :D

It's a shame you can't change the skin color of your character.

Agreed. I'd have liked a to have been able to choose a little bit darker of a skin tone, but I don't mind all that much. I can settle for hair style and color, face, and voice; especially since there are so many hair colors.

Edited by Xjezhekiir

Use this link and scroll down a bit, should see a picture showing most of the options for character creation, although it's missing the other hairstyles/facial expressions for the Younger and Older looking versions of both FeMU and MaMU... Still, it shows all the different hair styles/facial expressions for the Middle-Aged versions as well as all of the colors available for your characters hair so it's better than nothing. =P

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/myunit

EDIT: Apparently on the next page of the link I just posted someone mentions that depending on how you make your character it changes the way they talk, options being from Blunt to Childish to Polite. So, does this mean that the conversations MU has are affected by this? I mean I know it'd be a slight difference but now I'm kind of becoming curious. When this game comes out I'm definitley going to experiment with different MU's and see just how much this may effect some of the dialouge your character has in the story/supports.x)

Edited by Kyza

Use this link and scroll down a bit, should see a picture showing most of the options for character creation, although it's missing the other hairstyles/facial expressions for the Younger and Older looking versions of both FeMU and MaMU... Still, it shows all the different hair styles/facial expressions for the Middle-Aged versions as well as all of the colors available for your characters hair so it's better than nothing. =P

EDIT: Apparently on the next page of the link I just posted someone mentions that depending on how you make your character it changes the way they talk, options being from Blunt to Childish to Polite. So, does this mean that the conversations MU has are affected by this? I mean I know it'd be a slight difference but now I'm kind of becoming curious. When this game comes out I'm definitley going to experiment with different MU's and see just how much this may effect some of the dialouge your character has in the story/supports.x)

You good sir are both a gentleman and a scholar. Is there anyway we can have the owners of Serenes talk to the owner of this Tumblr/Image and post it to the My Unit page?

Heh, that's my scan broken into smaller parts. They're welcome to use my scans if they want. I can't scan that at a higher quality since the pics themselves are rather small, coupled with a pretty crappy scanner.

Thanks for this. There are a few missing like you said, but it's nice to have a picture with all of the colors on one screen. Thanks again! Ike of Paris' idea of having this posted on the My Unit page is also a great one.

The My Unit's dialogue style changes a bit with the different voice choices, but the replies of the other characters don't change at all. The option that changes the dialogue the most is a mute MU, which makes the other characters speak more to make up for the MU's lack of speech.

Two of the speech styles are very specific to Japanese. They are plain and polite/distal. The differentiation is made with different verb conjugations and word choices. In real life, plain is used with friends and family. Polite/distal is used with everyone else to show that you have some form of distance with the other person. However, as I have noticed in my experiences with video games/anime/manga/movies/etc., speech style is usually used to denote a character's basic personality type, not relationships between two characters. Usually, only entertainment trying to be realistic - like dramas and romances - will follow the real life rules. But there's also an extra dimension to this - usually, in games with a customizable character like this one, players can pick the speech style. It gives the players more options to customize and create their own unique character.

The third style is mute - MU won't talk at all - and was probably added for the laughs.

Which style the player chooses will not affect how the other characters speak because, as I said with most entertainment, speech style denotes one character's basic personality type and not relationships between two characters.

I expect that only two speech styles will make it into the English language release of the game - one where MU speaks and doesn't speak. Mostly because we don't differentiate between friends/family and non-friends/family with very different speech styles - we might be careful not to use some slang with non-friends/family, but that's about it.

The third style is mute - MU won't talk at all - and was probably added for the laughs.

Even cutscenes?

If not, I'll make him mute, because those grunts and stuff seem somewhat awkward to me.

The My Unit's dialogue style changes a bit with the different voice choices, but the replies of the other characters don't change at all. The option that changes the dialogue the most is a mute MU, which makes the other characters speak more to make up for the MU's lack of speech.

Well, I mean that's sort of what I meant. I just was curious as to how this affected what MU would say. I mean I figured that the replies from other characters would stay relativley the same but I assumed that this would change what MU would say/how they would act/seem. I suppose I could've worded it better but meh. =P

Anyway, sorry for any confusion! x)

Edited by Kyza

Even cutscenes?

If not, I'll make him mute, because those grunts and stuff seem somewhat awkward to me.

Yeah, MU won't make a single sound. The game uses signals for facial expressions and reactions, like:

MU: ......!!

MU: ...?

MU: .......

MU: !!!!!!!!!

MU: ??????

But that's it.

I enjoy the minimal voice acting while playing the game, but if my friends are in the same room as me yet not watching me play the game they'll usually ask what the heck is going on. I find it entertaining. May not be for every player, though. XD

I'm still on the fence about what kind of MU I want to go with. I'll probably reserve that decision for when I actually see the NA release options for myself.

Or videos of them beforehand.

Edited by Xjezhekiir

I'm still on the fence about what kind of MU I want to go with. I'll probably reserve that decision for when I actually see the NA release options for myself.

Or videos of them beforehand.

Yea, all I know so far is that I'm gonna make my first MU a male child and support Nono, cause', well, it'd be less akward that way... =-P

Then maybe my second playthrough I'd make a teenage/young adult female MU and support Krom, since they make a really nice family, but after that I really don't know. =-\

EDIT: The only problem is I usually spend a lot of time trying to decide what my character will look like so hopefully I can get past the prolouge without having to go back and remake my character several different times. xD

However, now that I think about it, I suppose the character creator isn't really all that advanced so it shouldn't be to hard for me to pick a look and stick with it... Still...

Edited by Kyza

Yea, all I know so far is that I'm gonna make my first MU a male child and support Nono, cause', well, it'd be less akward that way... =-P

Then maybe my second playthrough I'd make a teenage/young adult female MU and support Krom, since they make a really nice family, but after that I really don't know. =-\

EDIT: The only problem is I usually spend a lot of time trying to decide what my character will look like so hopefully I can get past the prolouge without having to go back and remake my character several different times. xD

However, now that I think about it, I suppose the character creator isn't really all that advanced so it shouldn't be to hard for me to pick a look and stick with it... Still...

The bold is exactly what I do on almost every game that has a character creator. It's always the lightning or similar that ends up throwing a look off, and then I re-roll multiple times because of one imperfection or another. xD Oh, I definitely share your pain there.

Ah, well. All I really know is that I'm going with a large Male MU on my main playthrough, as I like the hair/face options. Haven't decided on voice, hair color, or even class yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Can My Unit wear crazy hats like Miriel or Richt? ^^'

I don't think so, though I believe some hairstyles do include head ornaments of sorts. I definitley believe it is possible but I haven't seen a hairstyle like that on any MU yet so I'm not 100% sure...

Some of the face options include things like eyepatches and such though so I mean there is quite a bit of variation which is definitely nice. =P

Edited by Kyza

I don't think so, though I believe some hairstyles do include head ornaments of sorts. I believe it is possible but I haven't seen a hairstyle like that on any MU yet.

Some of the face options include things like eyepatches and such though so I mean there is quite a bit of variation which is definitely nice. =P

I wanted a crazy hat for my MU ;A;. What about hair bows?

Edited by Maiden_of_Emblem

I wanted a crazy hat for my MU ;A;. What about hair bows?

Hm, I believe there are a few hair options with bows in them though they aren't like huge or anything just like a little clip-on bow or something of that sort. Again I haven't see all the hair options, since I don't own the game, so I'm not quite sure if there is anything that stands out more-so as far as head accessories go but I do believe there may be a few. In the end though you kind of just gotta wait and see until either the game is released or until someone makes a video/posts pictures showing all of the options...

Sorry for not really having much of an answer. =\

With any type of accessory?

Females:

Type 1 -> Face 5 (something across the forehead), Hair 4 (hair clips)

Type 2 -> Face 5 (eyepatch), Hair 1 (hair ties), Hair 2 (small black bow)

Type 3 -> Hair 4 (small hair wraps?)

Males:

Type 2 -> Hair 3 (some sort of black band across is hair)

Those are your options.

I don't have a good enough camera around to take pics...

Would have loved more units with hats. I wanted to do a Hat Only run.