TearRing Saga translation patch released

VincentASM

Also, I've forgot to report that no death quotes were translated either.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, the help menu for looking at a unit's special flavor name (not the class name) is called Yclept... which is used in the wrong context. Not to mention being out of place next to the rest of the script's text writing.

Thanks everybody who's been posting bugs/ name inconsistencies/ translation errors. We have made a Google Code page for people to report bugs/ translation errors. Please utilize this resource so that we may centralize all concerns in an organized manner on our Google Code page.

https://code.google.com/p/tear-ring-saga-english/

This kind of feedback is very helpful and hopefully, eventually, we'll be able to get around fixing such bugs.

Would anybody have any bright ideas how to go about having a central place to post all the name inconsistencies? I can't really think of a good organized method at the moment. The only idea is a google spreadsheet, but even then, I'm not too sure how I would organize it. Would google code be good place for reporting name inconsistencies too?

Oh yeah if anybody could make youtube playthroughs that'd be gr8. Like a "Let's Play" series, it would also potentially show us where bugs might be in the videos.

Edited by foxstar74

Before anybody continues, please remember to SAVE OFTEN, with this patch you never know if/ when you'll come across a game-breaking bug.

Does "The script starts falling apart from Map 10 onwards" count as a bug? It literally goes from "pretty decent for a beta" to "oh god who proofed this".

Thanks for the note, we do appreciate it. You are absolutely correct, nobody proofed it as a whole.

I'd like to set the record straight and bring everybody's expectations down for this patch, so that you are not disappointed when reality hits. Rather than hype up something and set everybody up for disappointment, it's my hope to lower everybody's expectations so that when the you experience the real thing, you won't be too disappointed.

I've stated this before but I guess I need to reiterate just to be clear. If you would read the readme, and the posts I've made, you would see that this patch is INCOMPLETE and the entire second half of the script was translated mostly by a translator whose native language was not English, i.e. Engrish. The fact that this second translator understands Japanese fluently, Vietnamese fluently, and English as a third language is already amazing in an of itself, two more languages than most people can speak let alone translate. You are playing an incomplete patch as-is, which was released for the purpose of

1) allowing people to play the incomplete patch as-is

2) provide feedback for game breaking bugs, and also

3) MOST IMPORTANTLY (hopefully) reinvigorate interest so as to find somebody who will be willing to edit this whole thing.

This project has been stagnant for a year now, which is surprising as we always thought more people would like to edit but we guess not. Neither Khoa, alamone, nor myself have time to actually edit this game. We can only accept help for editing and delegate the work. Before that, it had been stagnant for several years before I contacted alamone back in 2008. FOUR YEARS AGO. With no editors at the moment, it would take MANY MORE YEARS at its current pace before you'd ever get to play this in English if we waited for it to be fully edited. All it takes is 1 dedicated editor who would be passionate about the project to fix it up within a couple months, but we have no such person who is currently actively editing. Hence, we have released this as a BETA patch.

If anybody has any constructive help and would like to take on the challenge of proofing this, please email me at foxstar74[at]gmail[dot]com. If nobody in the world contributes to fully edit this game, then what we have now is all you'll ever get. Please be thankful for all the hard work numerous people have put in over the years to help make this somewhat if barely playable for you in English. I don't even have time to play this myself anymore, as much as I really want to. It's far from perfect, it may even be unplayable, frustrating, broken Engrish, game-breaking, you name it, but if you don't like the patch, then simply play it in the original Japanese and enjoy it. Otherwise, I do hope that somebody out there who understands Japanese/ English will be willing to contribute editing, just let me know and we'll be ready to be on our way to making this patch fully complete. Thanks.

Edited by foxstar74

Jeez, I was just pointing out that the bulk of the proofing needs to happen from Map 10 onwards. I have read the readme, and I'm aware of the issues that the patch has had over the last few years. If I had the language skills to contribute, I would, trust me.

That being said, I'm documenting any actual bugs I find as I play. I can pass that along to you after I finish with it, yeah?

Edited by Pandorakun

Alright, I managed to pass by the freeze by 1) not recruiting Sun/Frau via Mahter and 2) mashing the start button as soon as I hit conquer. I would have been really sad if I had to stop the playthrough there, since I don't mind the non-proofread translation at all, and I really appreciate the guys who were able to get this out.

Jeez, I was just pointing out that the bulk of the proofing needs to happen from Map 10 onwards. I have read the readme, and I'm aware of the issues that the patch has had over the last few years. If I had the language skills to contribute, I would, trust me.

That being said, I'm documenting any actual bugs I find as I play. I can pass that along to you after I finish with it, yeah?

I wanted to let you know I sincerely appreciated your post actually about the "god who proofed this", and was simply trying to clarify to everybody to please be aware that you are absolutely correct, we didn't proof it. :)

Sure that sounds great, thx for documenting and please do post it in the Google Code page.

If it was up to me, and I had sufficient financial funds, I'd hire a professional editor to just edit the whole thing. Alas, that's not the case, and we'd rather just let people see what we currently have than be anything like vaporware (Final Fantasy Versus XIII anyone?) :)

Okay... the game crashes on the boss quote with Cunedd. Chapter 19.

I can't skip boss quotes with start, how do I get past this?

And he's the boss, I can't just skip him. :C

Wait, does he have any special boss quotes? I could try not getting the glitchy one to load.

I think that means this is the end of my playthrough. :E

NVM, I can just switch it to the japanese rom for that part lD

Edited by L95

Another inconsistancy. During the "Roger/Mel visit Mars Temple" event, Sylpheeze is called Silvas or something like that.

I was also oddly surprised to see that Krishna has had no inconsistancies so far. I seriously thought someone would slip up and call her by her "awkward romanized name" Krisheenu at least once. Strange.

I'd quite like to do a Lets Play, actually, but I'm let down by the fact I have no decent way of recording off XPsxe, and the fact that I'm pretty busy with Dream Drop Distance other projects at the moment. What I am doing though, is making a video on the Leteena Event. I haven't seen it up on Youtube yet and it's definately something deserving of a video guide. That and most YT playthroughs I've seen don't go for it. (Understandable since you have to pick Ezekiel at Welt and most people [me included] really like Narron and Lionel.) I've currently recorded up to "Step 4", though I do have one question here:

Sorry, this really doesn't belong here, but okay, I've just finished Chapter 13 (and realized first hand that Marchen really is a horrible as people say...) and I'm supposed to "Visit Verje with Kreiss with a Healing Drop in his inventory." Well he's got one, but when I went to Verje I got a scene of Ezekiel talking to Leteena and the other lady inside her house. Nothing involving Kreiss. I only just picked up Ezekiel at Welt (picked Narron back in Ch 2), so is this some random event for the first time he visits Verje or is it actually part of the Leteena Event? And have I screwed up the Healing Drop bit already?

Oh yeah, another note me and my bro found while playing: if a staff breaks during healing, the text will say that 'A Healing was killed!" or something like that. Sacrificial blood.

edit:

3) MOST IMPORTANTLY (hopefully) reinvigorate interest so as to find somebody who will be willing to edit this whole thing.

This project has been stagnant for a year now, which is surprising as we always thought more people would like to edit but we guess not. Neither Khoa, alamone, nor myself have time to actually edit this game. We can only accept help for editing and delegate the work. Before that, it had been stagnant for several years before I contacted alamone back in 2008. FOUR YEARS AGO. With no editors at the moment, it would take MANY MORE YEARS at its current pace before you'd ever get to play this in English if we waited for it to be fully edited. All it takes is 1 dedicated editor who would be passionate about the project to fix it up within a couple months, but we have no such person who is currently actively editing. Hence, we have released this as a BETA patch.

You know, I contacted you several times over the years saying I was interested, and you never got back to me at any time save once, which was a dead-end reply. Like you, now I don't have the time to really proof an entire game, but I was willing, and I'm sure a few others were or have been at a time too.

Edited by Celice

You know, I contacted you several times over the years saying I was interested, and you never got back to me at any time save once, which was a dead-end reply. Like you, now I don't have the time to really proof an entire game, but I was willing, and I'm sure a few others were or have been at a time too.

Thanks for having offered to help Celice. I do remember your emails, twice on February 19th 2011 to which I replied and you stated "Ah, I may not be fully able." And once on December 30th 2011 offering to help edit but again indicating you did not understand anything more than katakana. While any help is appreciated, and I'm typically quite glad to accept non-Japanese editors, what this project truly needs is somebody who really does understand Japanese to edit, which is a service neither you nor I could perform as we do not understand Japanese. You will see this once you reach the second half of the game, that while the translation sometimes makes sense, sometimes the broken English is so difficult to interpret that you must understand the original Japanese to be able to edit it properly. :/

Which is not to say we've not had English-only editors, in fact most of the editors in the second half are/ were unable to understand Japanese. Anybody can edit the text. You can see I've spelled out all the instructions for editing on my website, it's an open translation so that anybody in the general public may contribute, and it's in google spreadsheets should that things get too hectic I could revert back to previous revisions. Nothing has prevented anybody from editing, the resource is available here.

http://sites.google.com/site/trstrans

As you have anticipated, many have offered. I've received dozens of replies and have replied dozens of times. However, editing is not a fun process, and like in the "Dark Knight Rises", while many have tried to rise, few have stayed with it, "risen" through all of it and edited more than 20 files out of hundreds. Yet. I guess what we all need right now is a hero who will rise and accomplish what we cannot at this time for this project to continue.

That being said, in the last email you sent on December 30, 2011, you stated "I'm really worried 'cause ... I've seen so many cool and interesting projects just disappear because the author's lost interest and never felt like releasing any progress. And it's a shame, because now no one gets to enjoy the work at all--all of the effort spent on the translating or the hacking ends up bottled-up because the main guy of the project wants to wait for a final whatever." Indeed I felt the same way as you do, which is why I joined/ revitalized/ put in countless hours towards this project that was dead in 2008 by creating the "Open Translation Project". We agreed with you, we appreciated your input, and hopefully, this 0.8 release has addressed your concern. :)

Lastly, about the "A Healing was killed,", does it say something similar for other items?

Edited by foxstar74

My brother and I are quite glad you finally released all the work put into the game :) Wasn't your project also up years and years back, before '08? I seem to remember hearing about it while The Whirlpool was still an active place, and I remember offering some help then--though, that may have just been trying to connect the project with a few peeps with the technical skills or language skills to help the project along. I probably had a different email back then too :o Thanks for the reply, in any case!

I only saw the "killed" thing happen while a staff broke, as we haven't broken any weapons yet while playing. I'll keep an eye out though and see what a weapon says. I know when you use an item, like one which raises stats, the item says it is destroyed afterwards, rather than killed.

Okay, I found out that if you trigger the Ezekiel event, you need to trigger any other random story event, then go back to Verje for the Kriess Healing Drop one. But this lead to something else I have to report...

The Healing Drop part of the Leteena Event (I know it's that one, because the drop is gone from his inventory now) has no text. The text boxes are just blank, apart from commas.

Oh, and please, please tell me there's a way around the crashing on the Ch 19 boss, because I really want to finish the Leteena event and don't want to have to restart with a Japanese rom. (I hard-patched mine.)

I've encountered another game freeze bug in Chapter 19 whenever you try to combat the boss there.

I had to use a fresh ROM to kill the boss to solve the problem before using the patched one again only because the patch cannot be undone that PPF-O-Matic can usually do.

EDIT: The first one is in Chapter 15 that it will freeze if you have Mahter recruit Sun and Frau by seizing the castle. Just clear the chapter without Mahter speaking to them to solve the problem. They will join you automatically after the chapters end.

Edited by 曼

Okay, I found out that if you trigger the Ezekiel event, you need to trigger any other random story event, then go back to Verje for the Kriess Healing Drop one. But this lead to something else I have to report...

The Healing Drop part of the Leteena Event (I know it's that one, because the drop is gone from his inventory now) has no text. The text boxes are just blank, apart from commas.

Oh, and please, please tell me there's a way around the crashing on the Ch 19 boss, because I really want to finish the Leteena event and don't want to have to restart with a Japanese rom. (I hard-patched mine.)

You can download a fresh iso, load your save from the translation, and pass the crashing event. Then afterwards save your game, and then go back to your translated iso, and load the save. That should do it :) Just move the translated iso out of its normal place and replace it with an untranslated one, giving it the same name. Your emulator should treat it as if it was your translated one and load the same save file you were just using.

You can download a fresh iso, load your save from the translation, and pass the crashing event. Then afterwards save your game, and then go back to your translated iso, and load the save. That should do it :) Just move the translated iso out of its normal place and replace it with an untranslated one, giving it the same name. Your emulator should treat it as if it was your translated one and load the same save file you were just using.

Yep. It could actually read your saved data by using the same named freshed ROM file. =)

-----

I would just have 2 ROMS 1 with the patch and the other with the non-patched one. Be sure to rename a new folder and put the clean ROM in there. Since a folder will not allow the same named file twice.

Edited by 曼

Found another lock up.

Mime at the top of the tower freezes the game when you talk with her.

It freezes after the line "You guys don't seem to be bad people, but what do you want here?" I imagine its an option that's supposed to pop up or something, but it never does.

Okay, switch to japanese...

Can someone tell me what options to pick? I have no Idea what she's saying XD (Or what the options even are)

Also: Is the Dakruon supposed to dissapear when you recruit Krisheenu? It's not in her inventory when I recruit her, or in storage.

Edited by L95

Found another lock up.

Mime at the top of the tower freezes the game when you talk with her.

It freezes after the line "You guys don't seem to be bad people, but what do you want here?" I imagine its an option that's supposed to pop up or something, but it never does.

Can someone tell me what options to pick? I have no Idea what she's saying XD (Or what the options even are)

Affirmative.

I'll have to take the patch out whenever I need to talk to her. Don't pick the last option. It takes you out of the tower. Better yet, make a savestate before you talk to her to know what the options do.

Edited by 曼

What the...

Okay, so I killed off someone before getting to the top and her dialogue works now. It looks like the patch has not done the instance where you have no dead allies when you talk to her or something.

EDIT: Wait, still freezes when you select any option X/

Edited by L95

Okay, there's a pretty serious mistranslation in the ending of Map 14, though I'm sure most of you have already found it. The mayer says something like "There are 5 chests here, of which you can only pick 1." Actually, there's 23 chests and you get to pick 5. I already knew about this event from the site's walkthrough, but a new player might get confused. The way Holmes words things at the end implies you only get to keep one item out of the 5 chests you opened, but that's certainly not true: I have all 5 in my inventory.

EDIT: Another error. In a (preseumably optional) conversation after the encounter at Liguria Keep, Katari calls Frau... Mr Frau. Ooops.

Edited by Big Klingy