Olympics

Aere

I love the Olympics. I have been so excited for them all year! I'm going to try and watch as many sports as I can and will have to rewatch the first 3 or so hours of the opening ceremony(so mad that I missed it).

I usually don't root for the US in most sports though since we win too much :/

The United States must be one of the worst places to watch the Olympics in. One needs a cable subscription to watch anything on-line, and if one is able to watch it all that gets broadcast are recordings with a glut of commercials every five minutes anyways. I consistently regret that major, global sporting events like the Olympics or the World Cup are impaired by unfortunate commercial and political motivations - Olympic spirit indeed.

But I don't want to trash the thread espousing complaints. I think the track events can be quite exciting, and archery too in its own way. And of course the football; I regret not seeing any of the games so far, both the men's and the women's. I'd be interested in watching the fencing too.

Here are the schedules for each event, as well as medals won (once they are won):

Full ScheduleFull Schedule (Wikipedia)Sports OverviewParticipating CountriesParticipating Athletes

Archery

Athletics (Track)

Badminton

Basketball

Beach volleyball

Boxing

Canoe - Slalom

Canoe - Sprint

Cycling - BMX

Cycling - Mountain Biking

Cycling - Road

Cycling - Track

Diving

Equestrian

Fencing

Football (Soccer, if you don't know the proper word)

Gymnastics - Artistic

Gymnastics - Rhythmic

Handball

Hockey

Judo

Modern Pentathlon (Fencing, Swimming, Equestrian, Shooting, Running)

Rowing

Sailing

Shooting

Swimming

Synchronized Swimming

Table Tennis

Taekwondo

Tennis

Trampoline

Triathlon (Swimming, Cycling, Running)

Volleyball

Water Polo

Weightlifting

Wrestling

Glad I didn't hit a link limit.

Edited by Wist

I'm enjoying them so far. The opening was really cool. I've watched the China/Russia Beach Volleyball match and some boxing (snippets of cycling as well) so far. I may not be able to watch some until Monday though, our house only has one working TV at the moment (the others screwed up this morning), and the cable people can't come in until Monday if online support won't help.

So instead I'll just be laughing about this:

Dear lord... XD

Well, it's sensible, ha ha.

Amyway, dad fixed the TV, so now I can actually watch some things, hoorah! I saw the mens beach volleyball openers, where Canada beat GB. :Canada: Michael Phelps was also pretty lucky there in the 400M Mixed Competition, just getting 8th.

I'd be watching them... if I could. Parents got rid of cable/dish/satellite in favor of streaming everything which means I don't have any access to watching any of the events.

Streaming on the internet? Man, I watch anime on my computer but I find it a pain sitting in front of a small screen with small speakers or having my headphones on. Hopefully atleast you have a fast internet connection.

I'm pretty sure you can find some of the events streaming live free of charge in the states. I found an official YouTube channel like that, but because I'm in Canada the videos weren't available in my region.

Streaming on the internet? Man, I watch anime on my computer but I find it a pain sitting in front of a small screen with small speakers or having my headphones on. Hopefully atleast you have a fast internet connection.

I'm pretty sure you can find some of the events streaming live free of charge in the states. I found an official YouTube channel like that, but because I'm in Canada the videos weren't available in my region.

Yeah, problem is that NBC won't let you watch their streams unless you enter in all your cable or satellite information.smug.gif

This is why I hate monopolies, because they can pull this crap and get away with it. -__-;

http://msn.foxsports...-at-London-2012

^ I wonder if stateside reluctance to switch the U.S. credit card processing system to chip-and-PIN from old stripe-and-swipe is one factor that justifies the above story on Americans and why they are left out when it comes to tickets to watch the Olympics in-person. Is that a true factor? If I wanted to watch the Olympics in-person, and I started to seek tickets today, is it too late to get the gear in time to make the trip before the closing ceremonies come and go?

Edited by shadowjam

Um aren't we still dominating in swimming? We've (the USA is who I'm talking about, btw) won 18 medals in swimming so far. China, the next most winning country has 8. We have 8 gold medals alone. I'd say we're doing more than "meh".

Also don't think the 16 year old Chinese swimmer is doping. She's passed all her drug tests at the Olympics so far, and she's at the age where dramatic increases in performance aren't uncommon.

Olympics? Well, they're in my country for what might be the only time in my lifetime so that's pretty cool. On top of that I now have a sport I'm interested in (archery, by virtue of the fact that I do it) and went down on day 1 to watch the mens' team second half which was amazing. Oh, and the opening ceremony too, I really enjoyed that.

Getting bored of it though. All it is in the news is "The Olympics" and "We have won a [depending on the event] medal". MAN, DON'T THE NEWS REPORTERS HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO SAY!?!?!?Facepalm_emote_gif.gif

Though exited about handball. laugh.gif

Does "meh" = Micheal Phelps or Ryan Lochte winning gold every race?

Chad Le Clos won one gold!

Anyway, Canada suck at Summer Olympics, just watched us lose our chance at gold in Soccer. We haven't done much better in anything other than female trampoline (Hooray Rosie McLennan!).

I was kind of disappointed at Vault after McKayla Maroney landed on her butt :( She's such a good vaulter.

The team competition and the all-around were fun to watch though.

Was not a big fan of watching soccer until the Japan - France match. Both played really well. Can't wait to see the US-Canada I've got recorded for the women's teams. (edit: gender confusion...)

Edited by Celrias

Anyway, Canada suck at Summer Olympics, just watched us lose our chance at gold in Soccer. We haven't done much better in anything other than female trampoline (Hooray Rosie McLennan!).

That game was amazing. I want to marry Alex Morgan <3

I was bummed when Canada lost to US too... at least we got the one gold medal in trampoline. Besides we've got like 10 medals; that's 10 more than I was expecting at Summer.

And India got 3 medals, yay...