Something wrong with my game?

VGE

For a while now -- many, many months -- I've been getting bad level ups. Let me give you some examples.

I'm at Chapter 11 right now -- Zihark's Recruitment chapter. I managed to get all the way to the boat area, having Zihark, Nephenee, and Ilyana attack the guard on the spot. Nephenee got the kill, and managed to get a level up. Her level up was literally only +1 HP, and +1 Strength, nothing else. That's one example of a bad level up I've been getting.

Another, is when units get increases in stats that they literally don't need. I've had a playthrough, where Brom only got +1 MAGIC on one level up. It's not like I can change that with BEXP, because most of the bad level ups happen mid-chapter or so.

Finally, one of the bad level ups that seem to be occurring a LOT in my game, is no increases at all on a level up. It makes it so much harder to cap anyone's stats, and I actually had an Ike who got to level 20 third tier without having any stats capped. Not one!

Is there a way I can fix this, or should I just try to find a new copy of PoR? I don't want to resort to using a emulator, because I find them incredibly boring.

You're... kidding... right?

You're blaming RNG luck and claiming (then asking for confirmation if someone is thinking the same thing as you do) that your PoR disc is bad simply because of matching up stat level ups to a string of randomly generated numbers?

Unless you somehow get a USBGecko and show us that your disc somehow changed a bit in the Assembly Code of the game on the level ups or Random Number Generator, you're only fooling yourself.

Edited by shadowofchaos

No, I'm not kidding. I don't know if this happens to anyone else, because the 4 people I know who've played PoR, only played through it once. I playthrough it multiple times, and I want to be sure that it IS just the RNG crap, and not the actual disc itself. What's so wrong in asking?

You are completely basing your conclusion on a sample of a string of randomly generated numbers. There will be outliers.

Despite how many times you may play through the game, statistically speaking, there is no logical way to conclude that your disc is broken when generating RNG strings. The very chances of your disc scratches affecting game code is laughable at best.

What I'm saying is that you will be wasting your money. It's yours to waste if you wish.

It'd make more sense to say "My disc is broken because it has scratches and doesn't reliably start up on my console."

"My disc is broken and I want to get a new one simply because I'm having bad stat level ups and can't take it back with bonus exp abuse because it's in the middle of a chapter" doesn't sound as dignified in the very least.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I actually don't want to buy a new game disc for something so silly. But, now I know it is just the RNG crap.

I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

fyi given many many many different scenarios (of which FE9 will provide) we will have one that is just an extreme case of really fucking sucks, it's a law of probability

Edited by Lord Raven

In my last playthrough I ended up with a laughably bad Mist who didn't cap anything, or even come close to capping anything, even at 20/17. So many level ups with no stats. My Jill was also turning out painfully bad even with every stat booster I could fill her with that would help her. It's all luck and RNG hate.

Out of curiousity, are you sure you're not playing on fixed mode, and just forgot that you chose that mode for that file?

Because of the description of fixed mode, and all the math to find out the best way to train your units, I never choose it. Besides, even if you get a horrible uh...Largo for example, who gets only Magic, it'll be laughably annoying. =D

Sounds like a case of the Random Mode blues. Empty levels happen and it SUUUUUCKS. So do really bad levels. My last run had Ike not gain speed until like level 10. His speed was base until then. Wut.

Fiddle around with the bands and stuff.