About the levels of the sidequest/Spotpass/DLC units.

So, I know that most DLC/Spotpass/Sidequest characters join at extraordinarily high levels. My question is, are all of them treated as being Lv1 when immediately reclassed, in terms of Exp gain? After I recruited Valhart, I immediately reverted him back to Lv1, and rather than gaining exp more slowly like I'd have imagined a Lv30 unit to (since to my understanding, levels are tracked internally and apply even when reverting to Lv1), he was pulling 90~ exp per kill right off the bat, and was still earning 50-60~ even into Lv20+. So my question is, are all the optional units like that? Say, if I revert Paris back to Lv1 Hero, or Ephraim back to a Lv1 Great Knight, will their internal levels still be treated as 1 and gain extremely high exp even despite their join level. This just has me really curious, and unfortunately, I don't have the game on me for a while due to a trip to test it myself.

Valhart at 30 Overlord --> 1 Overlord will have 15 internal levels and therefore will gain Exp as a LV16 unpromoted unit, despite his high stats. That's all you were observing.

What were you having him fight, anyway? Some enemies have bonuses to Exp gain, and others might have internal levels of their own.

---

Checking FE12's formulae, which seem to still hold true, a LV16 unit should gain 90 Exp from defeating a LV40 unit: if you were having him fight regular LV20 promoted enemies, that should be the case. I don't know about the later gains, though; at LV20, he should be counted as a LV35 unit and therefore only gain 46 Exp from killing such enemies, unless they were Tricksters or Assassins, or had internal levels. In any case, if he had been starting from 0, he would be gaining ~80 Exp from those kills at LV20, assuming those are the enemies he was fighting.

So it's really just that Overlord is a single-tier class and is therefore great for Exp gain.

Edited by Othin

Valhart at 30 Overlord --> 1 Overlord will have 15 internal levels and therefore will gain Exp as a LV16 unpromoted unit, despite his high stats. That's all you were observing.

What were you having him fight, anyway? Some enemies have bonuses to Exp gain, and others might have internal levels of their own.

Generics in lategame skirmishes, though he gained 100 exp per kill on the final chapter. Wasn't aware certain enemies had Exp bonuses and their own internal levels though ohmy.gif

I added some more numbers. If they were LV20 promoted, as it sounds like, that should hold true. The only way he should be getting 100 Exp is if the enemies were Assassins or Tricksters or something. Or if they had even a few internal levels at first, but that doesn't sound likely for this.

What level was he in the Final?

He was at Lv1, I pretty much went into Endgame right after recruiting him and reverting him to Lv1. Interesting that Assassins and Tricksters give higher exp gains. I did notice Tricksters seemed to be giving a fair bit more than the other enemies, now that you mention it. Well, at least they aren't getting very little exp due to their internal level, like My Unit now does!