Ana's Updated Sprites

Anacybele

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He looks a couple years older in Nih's sprite. Early-mid 20ish.

I dragged the lower part of his nose down a pixel and liked that a bit for making him look sterner, but YMMV.

I see slightly larger eyes, a rounder cheek, and a less masculine jaw. He looks a couple years younger than he really is in that edit, imo. Leyon is 25, just fyi.

Edited by Anacybele

Eh personal opinion... What matters is to see the areas fixed that you can use to get the mug to look like the vision you have for it. The eyes do definitely need to be darker like Nih made them. So, take what you find useful there.

Nih always has some great works. So do try to see what she has touched up, doesn't mean you have to agree with it or go with it, but an hour understanding of why she did certain things will probably help your work in the long term.

Yeah, like I said, Marcus was identifiable, the collar is a nice little touch though.

...as for fixes, right now even if you mean the hair to look messy it doesn't have the same nice flow that Skye's hair shading did. Even though this is shorter hair it should still flow out from distinct parts of the head.

Right now its OK, but if I had someone give me that haircut I might go to another barber in real life. He has strands that seem to be isolated from the rest of the hair flow... Like near his ear. I'll try to highlight/circle the areas that look a little off if I get the time... Unless someone else sees it too and could provide that?

The trim is a cool concept, but the lower trim design on our right, his left shoulder looks a bit off at the moment. Possibly a different angle on it would be good.

Someone with more experience with trim shading might be able to help in that regard... The trim shading is OK, I am not as experienced in that area... But feel it could be better if you want to tweak it to improve it.

...as others have said though, you have shown some definite improvement! So keep it up, keep working to improve and don't let yourself get discouraged or take the easy route when you can make it really good with some hard effort. :)

Edit: I think people may be overinterpreting very minor differences on both sides of the debate as more significant than they really are here... :/

Let's not be defensive, but let's not nitpick either... If we can offer a visual representation of what we see it would probably be more helpful than arguing semantics/interpretations in text form.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

I see slightly larger eyes, a rounder cheek, and a less masculine jaw. He looks a couple years younger than he really is in that edit, imo. Leyon is 25, just fyi.

lolwut? She made both eyes smaller by a pixel each

IoUp5XX.gif

Yeah, it IS down to personal opinion, really. For Leyon's facial look, I was going for something more akin to RD Ike, who has rugged features such as a pointy, masculine jaw and eyes like half the size of what he has in PoR. I know RD Ike is 20-21, not 25, but I always felt that he actually looked more like 25, not his canon age. In fact, I actually used my Ike mug for reference here on redoing that jaw-line. It looked pretty awful before. xP

Oh, I do have an understanding of why Nih did what she did and I agreed that the eyes needed a bit more work and stuff. I'm just going to see what I can do on my own.

...as for fixes, right now even if you mean the hair to look messy it doesn't have the same nice flow that Skye's hair shading did. Even though this is shorter hair it should still flow out from distinct parts of the head.

Right now its OK, but if I had someone give me that haircut I might go to another barber in real life. He has strands that seem to be isolated from the rest of the hair flow... Like near his ear. I'll try to highlight/circle the areas that look a little off if I get the time... Unless someone else sees it too and could provide that?

Huh. That hair actually came almost straight off of Glenn. I just erased a bit of it to make it a little shorter. But maybe that's where I messed it up...

The trim is a cool concept, but the lower trim design on our right, his left shoulder looks a bit off at the moment. Possibly a different angle on it would be good.

Someone with more experience with trim shading might be able to help in that regard... The trim shading is OK, I am not as experienced in that area... But feel it could be better if you want to tweak it to improve it.

Okey doke.

...as others have said though, you have shown some definite improvement! So keep it up, keep working to improve and don't let yourself get discouraged or take the easy route when you can make it really good with some hard effort. :)

Thank you! :) You know, it's because of you guys here on SF that I've gotten better! I've learned so much from everyone here! And this encouragement has kinda made me want to go work on that full custom Boyd mug I made a long time ago. It's actually pretty decent for a first ever full custom sprite, but it needs color fixes and some shading fixes here and there.

EDIT: I meant that the eyes look taller, Kon, my bad. I did notice that Nih made them less wide.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, but the way they're shaded, it gives a different impression. But I suppose my eyes could just be playing tricks on me.

as much as you may love your eyes (lol), they still use third shade instead of outline or the darkest skintone. That is wrong however you wished to see it and there are no eyes shaded like that, unless someone is wearing some kind of brown eyeliner? iono XD I just replaced with the right colours, if you do not like how they look, play around with them but remember to use outline to define your eyes so they do not look like facial paint. I literally did nothing to your eyes except replace those shades who were wrong. Also the jaw was wrong, if you wish to give him a square jaw go reff my bae Geitz

I...never said I loved the eyes. I knew something was wrong with them, like I said, so I obviously didn't love them and wanted to fix them.

And I honestly feel that your jaw fix was wrong. Like said before, it's really down to opinion on that matter.

And I honestly feel that your jaw fix was wrong. Like said before, it's really down to opinion on that matter.

It's really not a matter of opinion, though. The second jaw (Nih's) is stonier, and less rounded/babyfaced. He looks more anime in your original incarnation, even.

It's really not a matter of opinion, though. The second jaw (Nih's) is stonier, and less rounded/babyfaced. He looks more anime in your original incarnation, even.

Of course he looks anime. Hasn't FE always been anime-ish?

Eyes do look better. Hair still messy/not quite flowing. Will try to highlight said areas when I have access to laptop.

Fire Emblem style is not quite mainstream anime style... It's kinda its own variation, slightly more realistic at least in the GBA games... Awakening is a lot more stylistically anime than the GBA style.

SNES have a kind of Shoujo style to their art... At least to my eyes...

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to fix the hair. Or the armor trim. But I do want to work on that too, I just need to figure out exactly how to go about it.

And I see. I could tell that FE wasn't like true anime style (except for Awakening), but it still looked kinda anime-ish anyway.

Well, I'm sorry, but I still don't like Nih's jaw edit. But maybe there's still something else I can do. Still, I'm definitely going to move onto a new project for now this time.

I'd go with Nih's suggestion of checking out Geitz' mug jaw-line for more of a square jaw/chin for Leyon.

If you don't know how to achieve what people suggest, or agree with it, there is no issue with asking for clarification or examples.

Probably be more helpful, less frustrating than arguing in circles if not seeing what they see.