Ana's Updated Sprites

Anacybele

Uh, is it okay if I revive my own thread? I did make some new sprites...finally. xP

nick_and_emily_by_great_aether-d5x7m6y.png

These two are the children from my Elibe fic, Bonds of the Beloved. Nick and Emily. They were partly for practice, as I haven't done many children mugs. But it's also nice to see what they look like. I know I had originally written that Emily's pigtails were braided, but I had forgotten that and decided to just edit it out.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not bad.

not spectacular but still ok.

Why aren't they spectacular? I can't improve them if I don't know what's wrong with them.

Edited by Anacybele

They're clean and nicely colored, I think they look alright.

I think the -actual- problems with these stem less from you as an artist and more from the source material. Both of the sprites you edited have weird necks, and it doesn't help that these are partially edited recolors. They look a lot like the source material, I think you could change more about them to make them look more original.

They aren't spectacular because they look kinda general-ish. Common.

They look like simple splices, with too little parts to notice.

The word to use here is probably: "normal", Ana.

Then again there's never been any fun in children sprites.

Oh, I see. It's true, I didn't edit a whole lot. I just changed up the hair and recolored. And added a headband to the boy. I couldn't figure out what I else I should've done to make them more original. I tried though. Just couldn't come up with anything.

Dont worry about it. Children are a serious pain to splice. My Bran Stark splice took forever to get right and it looks super simple as hell too. So deviating too much from the base(s) is tough unless you really know whats up.

Anyway, i like the little girl. Her pigtail is really nice.

They're clean and nicely colored, I think they look alright.

I think the -actual- problems with these stem less from you as an artist and more from the source material. Both of the sprites you edited have weird necks, and it doesn't help that these are partially edited recolors. They look a lot like the source material, I think you could change more about them to make them look more original.

This is basically what my opinions are--the splices are well-done and good color choices are made, but the original sprites had problems that weren't fixed.

If you really want them to look their best, expand the neck and body of the girl by a few pixels in width--the head is so disproportionate that it looks like the poor girl can never bend down for fear of her head snapping off of her neck.

There are a few minor things on the little boy that I noticed. One is the shading near his left eye, it's just a blob of the second shade that doesn't really belong. I don't know if that was on the original or not (FE6's sprites are derpy derp derp), but I offered a quickfix that you are welcome to use/reference/abuse/ignore. Also FE6 hates ear shading, so I added some of the first shade to that to make it pop more. I also did an incredibly minor shading fix under the headband. Really nothing major, take it or leave it, but I just thought I'd offer those small things. =)

http://gyazo.com/eac9db24c6827093ba1edaf2980685a6

• 3 months later...

Okay. So I FINALLY made a serious mug again, one I put a good deal of work into, unlike those children mugs...lol.

Isismug_zps0991b3f6.png

This is Isis, the queen of Melora and the final boss of my fic, FE: Dawn of Darkness. She's pretty much the main antagonist, though her son, Royce, is almost as major as she is. Isis is is merciless, cunning, and wants nothing more but to see the continent of Altarais sink into the darkness of shadows like her own country has. She's become corrupted by past events and history as well. Royce is even worse, his heart is black as black can be and he's downright evil to the core. He intimidates his own mother at times and Isis does grow a bit concerned for his behavior over time.

There are reasons for the way these two are, and Isis's daughter, Erys, believes that there is still good somewhere within them both. Of course, a lot of people call her crazy.

I decided to create a female main antagonist because I think we need more of them. I think Ashera is the only one so far and she wasn't even really a villain, just confused and stuff. Isis is meant to be a full out villain. Her class is Queen Melora and it's equivalent to a Seraph Knight, except Isis can wield the entire weapon triangle. Her primary weapon, however, is a lance empowered with dark magic called the Shadow Lance (for now, that name might be changed in the future).

She'd most definitely be a Dark Flier in Awakening. lol But yay for an axe-wielding Pegasus riding female villain! Royce will be sprited next. Sneak peek: he's a Dragonlord that can also wield dark magic. Bwaha.

Edited by Anacybele

The armor was actually mostly my own work. I did splice a bit from Fiora and Helene though. Altered the eyes as well. Isis is supposed to have a face closer to Petrine's.

The armor was actually mostly my own work. I did splice a bit from Fiora and Helene though. Altered the eyes as well. Isis is supposed to have a face closer to Petrine's.

if your trying to get a look closer to petrine you might want to make the eyes look angryer and colder looking. at the moment they look closer to louise eyes. what you want are eyes closer to vadias.

also for better armour shading try to refrence other sprites.

Edited by ShinyPichu

if your trying to get a look closer to petrine you might want to make the eyes look angryer and colder looking. at the moment they look closer to louise eyes. what you want are eyes closer to vadias.

also for better armour shading try to refrence other sprites.

Well, she isn't supposed to look EXACTLY like Petrine, just have smallish eyes like her. And I did reference other sprites when I made that armor. Though it was a long time ago, since that armor originally came from one of my older mugs. I just recolored and changed the design of the lining. Also altered the shape of the chest plate because Isis has larger breasts than the mug I took the armor from. lol (but they're not Petrine size...eek no)

Edited by Anacybele

I'm quite impressed. A great splice. The armor and trim shading's a bit off to me. There's a little inconsistency as to the light source, but a little mucking around with it (and referencing similar armor and trim styles) can fix that. The two-toned hair is very awesome, and I like the crown.

Okay. So I FINALLY made a serious mug again, one I put a good deal of work into, unlike those children mugs...lol.

Isismug_zps0991b3f6.png

Oooh, I like the splice! She definitely looks quite malevolent yet seductive, which is fitting for a sinister woman. Her crown could curve a little on her forehead, as it currently looks a bit flat, although that might be because I'm looking too carefully at it. I love the detail on the armor, though. The black is a shawl, right?

Wow, thanks! ^^

I hoped I made her look malevolent enough and it looks like I nailed that. :) Yeah, the part of her crown on her forehead was kinda tough...lol. What do you mean by shawl though?