Some Help/Critique

Leif

I am not much of a spriter, but I wanted you guys to see if there were any ways I could improve this still; it's an edit of a monk sprite. I plan to turn this into a hack insertable battle animation sheet, so I would like to know if I am in the 16 color range.

Here it is.

DarkPriest.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not much of a spriter, but I wanted you guys to see if there were any ways I could improve this still; it's an edit of a monk sprite. I plan to turn this into a hack insertable battle animation sheet, so I would like to know if I am in the 16 color range.

Here it is.

DarkPriest.png

Legs look too thin and I am not really understanding the thing on his head.

Also, you can use usenti to check how many colours you have.

Edited by eCut

DarkPriest-1.png

Sadly I don't have usenti since my Windows laptop is unavailable at the moment so I am relying on my MAC.

I edited the still a tad. I need some critiquing on the shading since I feel like I am using too much pillow shading. The "thing" on the character's head is a beret. I don't know how one would sprite a better beret.

You can always dual boot your mac with bootcamp (trust me, it's super useful!). Though, you need a copy of windows for that.

Anyway! The thicker legs look better. The shading on the right leg (opv) isn't consistent though. i.e. the random blotch of dark on the right leg probs shouldn't be there.

And I see! I thought it was one of those hats that nurses wear... :x

I fooled around with the pants and beret (since I can't really explain how to make a beret) :

http://puu.sh/1npNu

I did revamp all of the problematic areas but I'll tell you what they are instead of showing you so you have the chance to do it and improve yourself. :P

• I think the part of the cape around his neck could be reshaded since it looks looks a little pillowy. I assume that is the default monk cape shading, but that part honestly isn't that well shaded on the org. monk.
  • On this part of the cape, I think you should continue the two blue pixels down to the bottom of the cape (the two dark blues ones that have a single row of red under them).
  • I don't like the shading on the bottom part of the shirt (the part that is under the belt). I think you should get rid of the darkest blue on the right of it because it gives that section a weird shape.
  • Belt looks a bit too bright.

I think it is a pretty solid edit overall though! Just needs a few fixes. :)

Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Testing.png

I have been working on a custom sheet. I need some critique. His right arm goes down in the same direction as the arrow does. He also starts to step back a little. Also I need to get an idea of a cape animation as well. x_x

I guess it's okay if he's casting a really wimpy spell.

Yeah I agree.

It kinda looks more like he is standing on a vibrating platform (though that might be due to how fast you've animated it). But I think the cape should flow back more (like a mage's cape).

Looks like the wind is gently curling clock-wise around him once the framerate is slowed down, not bad if he's still a bard/monk.

Reference-wise, all of the stock windy effects are going to be either straight up or to the right and attack ones have an uber-exaggerated lift. Depends on what you want.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Been a very long time since I last updated my sprite topic.

V2-HE-M_Ani_IN_zpskoohs25i.gif

By creatively utilizing the FE8's Mage Knight sprite sheet, as well as some splicing, I managed to make this.

It's a Thracia 776-inspired Mage Knight for GBA animations. It's incomplete.

What do you guys think?