Some Help/Critique

Leif

Male%20Cape%20test1_zpsbikhvx5t.gif

Cape animation partly done. I slowed it down purposely so you guys can see the frames. I probably need an extra frame, right?

LOPTOMAGEF_zpsbw3jq5d3.png

Started the female Lopto Mage. I based it off of Miranda's Mage sprite from FE5.

EDIT:

I'm trying to make the animation similar to this. The basic mage animations in Thracia are almost all identical.

Edited by Leif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cape animation partly done. I slowed it down purposely so you guys can see the frames. I probably need an extra frame, right?

It looks really nice.

The part of the cape right next to his head in some of the frames should probably be shaded with the second color to further the depthe perception of depth...

But more jarringly, why does the cape have a fair amount of presence near his waist on one side, but only the VERY tip on the other side goes to that horizontal level?

Male%20Cape%20test1_zpswprrcqte.gif

Tried to fix the cape animation.

LOPT%20return%201_zpscacrasgy.gif

Return animation done.

I am so close to making a custom battle animation!!! All that's left is the start & critical animation. After that, I will have completed my first custom fire emblem class. ^_^

Please be generous with your critique; I want to perfect this so people can use this in projects and what not.

Edited by Leif

You should stitch the whole thing together from start to finish so we can see it as a complete work!

Yeah I'll do that once I finish the start animation. The critical animation will be hard, but I think I'll base it off of the Monk's critical.

I haven't done a map in years, but I decided to whip this out.

1_zpsmhv8hr4m.png

I like this tileset. I think it's a 'dusk' map, so to speak. Since the sun is low and yellow-orange around the early evening, it would change the water to a yellow-orange color.

EDIT: I can't believe I missed the dirt patch by the top left house. Sorry about that; I'm normally not that careless.

Edited by Leif

Redid and completed the High Priest Overworld sprite.

High%20Priest_zpsrhro7hj6.png

What do you think?

I used Lord Ephriam/Athos/Necromancer/Bard as bases to build this custom sprite.

Edited by Leif

This is probably one of those things you should animate so we can see it in action :P

I was looking at the return animation and I think there are too many frames. Not to mention the timing on each frame is a little slow, so that might be misleading me. I think these sorts of things usually only have 2-3 frames and are deliberately a little rigid. A lot of the shading seems to change inbetween frames which looks a little bit odd for an FE battle sprite, even though I can definitely see why you changed the shading as you did. The leg moving back in by a pixel at a time looks a bit funny too. Either make it one motion or don't make it move at all, I think.

Thracia 776 GBA High Priest. This is different from the other High Priest sprite I made.

MASTERMAGE_zpsqm9yvzqq.png

The idle and focus stances are 100% custom. The running graphics are splices from other classes plus some custom edits on my part.

LORDSPRITE_zps518jydm4.png

A member requested that I make a lord sprite for his project.

I love Feplanet's overworld sheet display.

Edited by Leif

Aww thanks. Here's a preview for more. I have been trying to make as many FE5 GBA map sprites as I could since Thracia has 10x better graphics than the GBA games.

bard_zpsehfytom0.png

Full sheets to come soon.

Yeah, map sprites are underrated, but they are a ton of fun to do since you have a limited color palette and have to work in a small space.

Edited by Leif

The problem with converting those sprites is that the timings and style are different, which makes your wind mage conversion (for example) look a bit odd. Rather than actually flowing around the cape looks more like it's twitching, and it is admittedly a little odd that only the one arm moves only one pixel on the last frame. I almost never do that in my own map sprites - you want objects to move at least one pixel per frame unless there's a good reason for it, like how the armour knight's chest plate lags behind the rest of the body to suggest a bouncing effect.

Your wind mage's head really should move across, along with the rest of the body, like the Rogue map sprite.

The problem with converting those sprites is that the timings and style are different, which makes your wind mage conversion (for example) look a bit odd. Rather than actually flowing around the cape looks more like it's twitching, and it is admittedly a little odd that only the one arm moves only one pixel on the last frame. I almost never do that in my own map sprites - you want objects to move at least one pixel per frame unless there's a good reason for it, like how the armour knight's chest plate lags behind the rest of the body to suggest a bouncing effect.

Your wind mage's head really should move across, along with the rest of the body, like the Rogue map sprite.

I'm not really converting; I'm am hand-drawing those sprites from scratch to make them look as similar to FE5's sprites as possible.

I reference a picture to get a general idea of the sprite style, like this one:

http://www.socksmakepeoplesexy.net/images/topsnes/fireemblemthracia776.jpg

You're right about the timing issue. I have had to re-draw many of them and create custom focus stances to make them not only fit in a GBA game, but also be reminiscent of Thracia's look and feel.

boltmagetest_zps4x29d8vr.gif

How can I spruce up this thunder mage?

Edited by Leif

I made two maps.

[spoiler=Took longer than it should have...]

Map%2013_zpsukjiqemx.png

Map%2012_zpsw0jvl4lu.png

Now I started my very first custom mugshot. I followed Asvel's custom mugshot tutorial EXACTLY. I suck at drawing heads and ears, so I pretty much replicated Asvel's example when I started working on this. The head was either too big or small so I ended up drawing the same base head. It took forever. All the credit goes to Asvel for creating such a wonderful tutorial. This is just for practice because a part of me wants to be a better artist.

Philon%20WIP_zpsm5xwkixl.png

Before I start the shading, is the face ok? The different colored lines are for the hair, robes, undershirt, circlet etc.

Edited by Leif

It's generally too early to tell at this stage of the mug making. It looks fine, but all of that could change when you start shading (and should, as you start to iron out the kinks in the artwork). If you're really looking for game changing critique this early, it'd be better to present blocks instead of multicolored outlines.

[spoiler=Example]6a43e321b2.png

"COOOORAL"

With blocks, one would be able to tell if proportions are off better and is honestly more pleasing to the eye (and also easier to start working off of-- I promise).

Edited by Princess Peachar

Philon%20WIP_zpsl2p6nxxa.png

HELP. HELP. Totally lost.

Attack of the derpy eyes. :(

EDIT: The eyes are destroying this custom mugshot for me. I am trying to match the "Fire Emblemy" art style (for lack of a better word, and it's not working.

EDIT 2: Ignore this post.

Edited by Leif

Forget the previous post. Hard work and determination improved this mug a bit. Still not finished yet.

Philon%20WIP_zpsli2xsxzk.png

Still not satisfied with the eyes. I want to make this character look a little older, but I still don't know how to do that...

Edited by Leif