What's with Ike's first tier battle pose

Knife

It is kinda weird because it leaves him wide open for an attack. Ive actually physically tried that stance in a combat situation (with wooden swords) and it is not optimal. hahah! I guess he just does that because it looks cool?

Rule of Cool. And the MST3K mantra.

Raising your hand and keeping it raised when you aren't holding anything is tiring enough, let alone when you're holding a ten-pound piece of long, sharp metal. (I just pulled that weight out of my hat; I don't know how much swords actually weigh.)

Edited by Paper Jam

Rule of Cool. And the MST3K mantra.

Raising your hand and keeping it raised when you aren't holding anything is tiring enough, let alone when you're holding a ten-pound piece of long, sharp metal. (I just pulled that weight out of my hat; I don't know how much swords actually weigh.)

3-4 pounds generally. Which would still get very tiring.

The thing I find most strange is that he holds it like a normal person when he's just walking around, but decides that he should hold the sword in a way that if he blocks with it, it'll go straight into his skull when he actually starts fighting.

• 2 months later...

the only thing I can think of with Ike's weird pose is the "Ochs Guard"

...just only one-handed instead of two-handed... hence looking weird...

And I think what's making it looking strange the most is that Ike let his left arm hang loose on his side,

like it was numb or hurt O_o;

Well...maybe it's because the game is trying to protray Ike an an unexperienced soldier? That odd pose he has first tier dissappears once he promotes...

They talk about how Greil trained him though, he should know how to hold a sword.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I've seen the stance in Chinese Kung Fu movies, or something similar, and I'm pretty sure I saw Star Wars concept art somewhere of a Jedi taking a lightsaber stance similar to it, supposedly using a lightsaber style/"form" called, I think it was Soresu? Heavy on defense, that one. Don't actually know how Ike's stance is suppose to work, though.

Oddly enough, Ike's promoted stance also kinda looks to me like a lightsaber form, one called Makashi, basically the style Count Dooku uses in Episode 2. In-universe, that form happens to be a very strong dueling style. /mild sw nerdout