One question about FE4 and growth rates

Lakmé

So, I was checking one of my old saves in FE4 and something seemed odd to me: my level 30 Sety with Levin as his father had still his base speed, despite having a 105% growth (i.e. 16 speed), could anyone explain this to me ? I've read somewhere that leveling in the arena can lead to bad level-up's if the game has not generated enough RNs but I'm sure he got several levels on the map...

Also, his average stats are rather close to mine (except for a bad 23 in magic), but I don't understand how stats tend to be less likely to grow when they are closer to their caps (like his skill, on the link)... Are there dynamic growth rates in FE4 ?

Thanks in advance !

Levin!Sety has a peculiar rollover bug related to his Speed. I don't remember the particulars of it, but it goes something like Levin can pass down too much Speed, which causes Sety's base Speed to overflow and revert to a low number.

(or maybe he had a base speed of 0 and raised it 16 times?)

That would be the more likely scenario, I think.

Do you remember what his Speed was when you recruited him?

EDIT: Incidentally, I've never actually seen the bug in action, so if I'm wrong about how it works somebody tell me I'm a dipshit

Edited by Mr. Sparkles

Unfortunately no as this is a pretty old save, but to think that Levin!Sety's bug can lead to such a horrendous base...

Oddly though, on another of my saves, he has capped his speed right from the beginning...

If anyone has more info on this bug, that could be interesting...

According to my calculations, Levin!Sety has 33 base speed, taken down to 17 according to the main site. Because his cap is 30 and Sage's class base is 15, I think when it tries to go beyond 30, it reverts to his class base, so 31=15, 32=16, 33=17 etc.

If I'm correct, that would mean it's impossible for Sety to have 0 base speed.

My best guess, based on absolutely no evidence, is that at one point in your playthrough, Sety had 29 speed, and when he levelled up, he got a +2 in speed. The same overflow bug happened, and he procced -14 points in speed.

Edited by Minor Baldo

I think I remember something about having to reset the cart to get his speed to reset to the class base, so if you got Sety to level 30 before resetting the cart, that would explain that.

But I don't know the specifics of it so I could be wrong here

My best guess, based on absolutely no evidence, is that at one point in your playthrough, Sety had 29 speed, and when he levelled up, he got a +2 in speed. The same overflow bug happened, and he procced -14 points in speed.

This looks like the most plausible explanation, thank you !