When your in a boss battle who do you attack first, the mooks or the boss?

Gold Vanguard

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you go for first?

• The boss so I can get the battle over with.
    • The mooks to make the battle less difficult.
    • Both for the challenge.

It largely depends on the encounter itself...

However, the priority goes like this otherwise:

Am I in a rush? Zerg boss.

Am I in the sadistic mood? Kill dem adds.

Am I playing a mage or AoE heavy class, or bored etc? Kill both at the same time with AoE spam for the hell of it.

Edited by Interest

It depend

Is the horse spawn endlessly until you took the generals head? Then I skipped the horse killing and just try kill the general while he up there (Like FE13)

Is the horse would bite you harder and create critical disturbance during the fight? Kill the horse first, then pwned the general head (so much true for Capra Demon fight)

But mostly I try to kill them all if possible (dem EXP)

Edited by Shengar

I generally kill the minions first. Especially in games where minions can do EVIL things if you don't eliminate them fast enough. Take, for example, the battle with Star Magician in Golden Sun: The Lost Age, and Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Those little ball minions he summons can be EXTREMELY EVIL if you don't eliminate them.

Another example is Nice Guy and Tough Guy in Shadow Kanji's battle in Persona 4. If you don't take out those guys really quickly, they'll buff and heal the main boss and buff each other, dealing a TON of damage during the fight.

come on those of you saying "there's no answer", what do you usually do is what people really want to know *shot*

I usually go for the mooks/minions as well but there are, of course, exceptions. Once in a while I'll let my teammates take care of mooks while I keep the main boss busy, if that's an option. In a battle with multiple bosses at a similar level of strength (i.e. there's not enough of a difference to really say one is definitively a minion or not), I usually go for anyone dealing high damage, dealing negative status effects, or with low starting health.

One thing is that if you'er playing an RPG and you have allies, if you don't control them completely they might auto-attack the weaker guys and if you use AoE attacks the weaker ones might get hit and well, it's only NATURAL that if they have lower HP they're going to die first, whether it was your intention or not. That's why I think it's only natural that the minions get taken out first XP

Typically it's "Clean up adds" then focus boss.

Eliminating adds reduces enemy density, which reduces incoming damage much quicker than taking out the boss.

Adds may respawn, but if they do, take 'em out again (or if it's a case of "All Adds die? Respawn them!" kill all but 1 add)

• 3 weeks later...

Baten Kaitos Origins pulled respawning mooks that you must kill ASAP at the very beginning of disc 2. If you left them alive, they'd heal the boss for more damage than you could dish out, break your guard, and the mother would use devastating AoEs that caused you to lose your turn and discard anything you had already queued up. Evil. If you saved on that disc and couldn't beat the boss... welp, I hope you liked the game enough to restart from the very beginning. So sometimes even if the mooks respawn, you have to get rid of them.