Nintendo Direct event tomorrow morning (Dec. 5)

Klytus

I'm not just talking about this game though. They do it with most of their games, including Zelda & Smash Bros (these are both high priority games). Nintendo is the only platform in which it is considered "normal" for a big name game to be released worldwide up to a year after initial release. If Intelligent systems were owned by Sony, for example, we would all be sitting with our PSP's right now, playing a full english version of Awakening. I should say that I'm not trying to start a console war. I personally own all of them and believe they all have their own pros and cons.

Edited by Sw3Et

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Intelligent systems were owned by Sony, for example, we would all be sitting with our PSP's right now, playing a full english version of Awakening.

There's absolutely no way for you to prove that.

Would it be silly to bring up Final Fantasy Versus XIII? Near-simultaneous international releases are great, but...a game in development for 6+ years? Le sigh.

Wait, of course it's silly; we're supposed to be talking about Awakening.

Lissa reminds me of The Last Story, to the point where I wish they'd just done Lisa.

Every game company gets their games out worldwide? What companies are these? Square-Enix's games take quite a while to reach here, for example. Heck, Theatrhythm was a very low-text game and it took several months to reach the West. No word on Bravely Default either. Level-5's Layton series takes over a year for each game to localize, so does Capcom's Ace Attorney series. Yes, companies do worldwide releases, but they are usually big name series or series with little amount of text to translate. Fire Emblem is neither of those.

Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter.

Month 31. Still no release date, still no release year, still no platform.

I still want to believe.

Edited by Iridium

There's absolutely no way for you to prove that.

Well of course there isn't, it's hypothetical. I made a judgement based off Sony's (and microsoft's for that matter) good track record of getting their big name titles out worldwide with minimum hassle or wait.

I'm not sure what you mean, other than Liz being short for Elizabeth. It would not seem right to refer to royality with shortened names. Not I'm a royalist or anything like that, just in the context of the world it would be pretty cringeworthy for me.

Maybe I should have said "too common of a name"? Lissa just seems like a more befitting name for a princess.

Well of course there isn't, it's hypothetical. I made a judgement based off Sony's (and microsoft's for that matter) good track record of getting their big name titles out worldwide with minimum hassle or wait.

Sony has also a lot less IPs than Nintendo.

And Fire Emblem is not a big name title.

If Intelligent systems were owned by Sony, for example, we would all be sitting with our PSP's right now, playing a full english version of Awakening.

No, we wouldn't, because Sony hates their own handhelds outside of Japan, especially the PSP.

I personally can't think of any Sony RPGs that make it overseas as a simultaneous or near-simultaneous release. Most RPGs are made by third parties. There is a huge PSP library that will never be in English. Even a high priority title like a numbered Final Fantasy has a few months gap to make the leap to English. Most big name titles we know of on the PS3 are made in the West anyway, so we aren't the ones waiting for a translation, but the Japanese are waiting for our games instead.

Also, if by some miracle Nintendo was going to pick another title other than Mario, Zelda and (sort of, North America actually gets it first) Metroid for a simultaneous international release, I think Pokemon would be their next big priority, considering how of is their best selling handheld title. Then they would probably focus on Kirby, whose games have extremely light text. Fire Emblem is just so word heavy for a comparatively low return so I'm not at all surprised we are getting it nearly a year after the Japanese release.

You should count your lucky stars Namco isn't the publisher, considering what they do with the Tales series.

Edited by Samias

You should count your lucky stars Namco isn't the publisher, considering what they do with the Tales series.

That was initially what I thought they'd turn into, after FE12 happened and before FE13 was confirmed by Reggie after E3.